Video: The Bizarre Reason American Garages Are Shrinking

triplets_93

Reaction score
I found this interesting video that discusses how the garage sizes of new homes have gone down, even though the average size of vehicles has gone up...

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I found this interesting video that discusses how the garage sizes of new homes have gone down, even though the average size of vehicles has gone up...

Just another reason why we need to curb the population.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
Interesting analysis but I think some of his assumptions are a bit off. I work in City Planning in dense jurisdictions with relatively smaller lots (~5,000-7,000 SF). None of those cities have an 8’ side yard setback requirement with exception to the top floor of a two-story home (think layered cake). Instead, what you commonly see are 5’ min. setbacks. Also, most cities (at least in the Bay Area) only require one covered parking space. People generally favor additional living space over an extra unconditioned parking space for a car that can otherwise be parked in the driveway.

John813

Reaction score
Homes are going up in price. Most people don't care to park inside. The garage is the storage unit for most.

I prefer to park inside and that was my only criteria for when we were shopping again. Had to fit both our trucks inside/ have room for other items.
Depth was a killer in a lot of communities/floor plans.

rags747

Reaction score
3 car garage, 4 cars. Buy a lift now all 4 cars inside. In Fl there is really no other way that is desirable.

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
Last house while I was married solved itself. Big and little garage doors. My truck fit in the big one (barely!) and my wife’s cutesy economy size car she liked fit in the small one.

nobody

Reaction score
A lot of the houses in my neighborhood only park one car in their garages and they use the rest of the garage as a sort of tv lounge. It's surprising just how many do it given how hot garages get around here.

Creeper

Reaction score
Garages need to be bigger. They should accommodate 2 cars as well as storage for tools and equipment like lawnmowers and snow blowers. But my question is why are they building houses so close together? and who wants a house built 15 ft from his neighbor's house? I get that land is expensive, but a house build right on top of the house next door is like living in an apartment. I live in a house because I don't want my neighbor living on top of me.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
Garages need to be bigger. They should accommodate 2 cars as well as storage for tools and equipment like lawnmowers and snow blowers. But my question is why are they building houses so close together? and who wants a house built 15 ft from his neighbor's house? I get that land is expensive, but a house build right on top of the house next door is like living in an apartment. I live in a house because I don't want my neighbor living on top of me.
Because not everyone wants to live in Podunkville on 10-acres of land.

Praxit

Reaction score
....garage attributes are probably the same. Its the vehicles that keep getting bigger. ...lol..