The botched coin toss thread

DandyDon52

Reaction score
Yep. Why these guys can' t realize this is odd.

Its the equivalent of calling a timeout and then saying no we didn't I said i don't want a timeout. They are going to take the timeout.

Jerry in the post game said he is going to need to send some different people out for the coin toss next week.
so jerry decides that ? :laugh:

DandyDon52

Reaction score
This will be fixed soon. It is simple, nobody is going to want to kick off in both halves. So it is simple.... if the team says we are kicking off in the first half, than that automatically means you WILL get the ball to start the 2nd half..... period.

This is not some legal document, this is not a law school class where the words you se makes a HUGE DIFFERENCE. This is FOOTBALL. I can not believe that we are needing to parse the words of the captain in regards to the opening kick off.

It is clear that if a team says they want the ball to start the game, they know they are kicking off to start the 2nd half.

If a team says they want to kick off to start the game, it means they want the ball to start the 32nd half. Thats it... done, simple.
you need to read the rules, it is a choice.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
Technically by rule it shouldn’t have been changed at halftime, but it was the right thing to do
Well according to peirra, it was not re viewable. Yet NY did review it under a rule that did not apply to this, so they cheated to overturn the ref running the game.
Then they didnt inform the rams till they came out from the tunnel lol so again that is wrong.

Even if dak did say defer, they should not have overturned it, it is just like any other thing that happens that they dont overturn.
I think they just didnt want to look stupid, they should have not overturned it.
Dak or whoever you send out needs to understand the rules and know what to say, other wise they should not be out there.

Now jerry says next game he will send someone else out lol like wow can they not explain to dak?? he did graduate college, he ought to be able to
say " we defer" !! I could add an expletive but this is family forum.

The whole NY thing is out of control and ruining the game, they either need to ref the games themselves and take full control, or let the field refs
run the show and not interfere.
Remember it was NY that took away the dez catch. They screw up more than they help.

MarcusRock

Reaction score
I’m really not trying to call you out. I hope your sarcasm is good natured and not meant to be disrespectful.

You’re right. Plenty of fans are inconsistent. I can be myself when emotions get in the way. I admit it.

End of the day though. I really don’t think the coin flip should come down to this. Dak and the captains need to be clear with what they say. And the ref could have handled it better too and used some common sense. Both things are possible. This is one of those grey area cases it’s really not black and white.

Good-natured, yes. You're one of the sensible posters on here so I would never come at you like that and even if you weren't, I wouldn't initiate snark or such. It's only when others come at me sideways first that I'll get a little rude and unleash hell, lol. It stops with a single instance unless they want to be fan bois.

The only thing I can blame on the ref is that he probably didn't hear Dak say defer and/or just focused in on "kick," which is a clear option by the rules. Unusual, but it's in there almost verbatim. I blame the players more because this has happened at the beginning of every game this season without incident so you have to know what words to use because you've used them or head them used 13 times prior.

shabazz

Reaction score
Well according to peirra, it was not re viewable. Yet NY did review it under a rule that did not apply to this, so they cheated to overturn the ref running the game.
Then they didnt inform the rams till they came out from the tunnel lol so again that is wrong.

Even if dak did say defer, they should not have overturned it, it is just like any other thing that happens that they dont overturn.
I think they just didnt want to look stupid, they should have not overturned it.
Dak or whoever you send out needs to understand the rules and know what to say, other wise they should not be out there.

Now jerry says next game he will send someone else out lol like wow can they not explain to dak?? he did graduate college, he ought to be able to

The whole NY thing is out of control and ruining the game, they either need to ref the games themselves and take full control, or let the field refs
Remember it was NY that took away the dez catch. They screw up more than they help.

Perhaps Donovan, ( "I didnt know NFL games can end in a tie") McNabb can mentor Dakota on NFL rules.

CPanther95

Reaction score
Just handle it the same every toss:

To visitor:
1. "Heads or Tails"

To winner:
2. "You want choice now or Defer and choose for the 2nd half"

To whoever has 1st choice :
3. " Choose to kick, receive or direction"

To other team (assuming receive was picked)
4. "Which direction"

Aerolithe_Lion

Reaction score
There is no rule saying "what you first said counts, regardless of efforts to clarify."

This issue will see Walt Anderson fired at season's end. His dumb interpretation embarrassed the league

There also is no rule stating non-reviewed ref decisions can be reviewed and reversed. As I previously stated, technically it should not have been allowed to be changed.

Aerolithe_Lion

Reaction score

Did Jerry really say he wont send Dak out? That's a bad look. Benching your team leader's captain status on one simple mistake that never cost you anything. If anyone will get it right next time, it'll be him.

shabazz

Reaction score
Just handle it the same every toss:

To visitor:
1. "Heads or Tails"

To winner:
2. "You want choice now or Defer and choose for the 2nd half"

To whoever has 1st choice :
3. " Choose to kick, receive or direction"

To other team (assuming receive was picked)
4. "Which direction"

Agree, but I think #2 is still gonna confuse Dak.

shabazz

Reaction score
Did Jerry really say he wont send Dak out? That's a bad look. Benching your team leader's captain status on one simple mistake that never cost you anything. If anyone will get it right next time, it'll be him.

Its gonna be on his sleeve next time or he'll have his helmet on for live headset instructions

Blackrain

Reaction score
Walt Anderson and Walt Coleman are oldest Refs in NFL 67 yrs old get a hearing aid or quit

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
There also is no rule stating non-reviewed ref decisions can be reviewed and reversed. As I previously stated, technically it should not have been allowed to be changed.
This was not an on the field judgement call where the limitations of being human come into play. If the ref had just made the call after the original words from Dak, I would side more with the ref, but the ref asked for clarification, and Dak said "defer" - the ref got the clarification, there was no judgement call to make, and the ref either ignored it or didn't hear it. I don't think the rules are intended to protect that. The NFL did the right thing.

Kaiser

Reaction score
This was not an on the field judgement call where the limitations of being human come into play. If the ref had just made the call after the original words from Dak, I would side more with the ref, but the ref asked for clarification, and Dak said "defer" - the ref got the clarification, there was no judgement call to make, and the ref either ignored it or didn't hear it. I don't think the rules are intended to protect that. The NFL did the right thing.

Exactly, this is how Bob Sturm described it:

head referee Walt Anderson was just making another mistake to add to his resume — he had misheard Prescott.

cityochamps

What Just Happened Here
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Absolutely. Subjectivity is literally the worst influence in NFL officiating, and it probably responsible for some of the worst calls of all time.

Was it a catch, or wasn't it a catch?

Did he complete the process?

Was the knee down, or wasn't it?

Was the arm moving forward?
The less interpreting NFL officials do, the better. Look at the wide variability in pass interference. It's entirely a judgement call. Something as simple as the coin toss should be reduced to what an official thinks a player, "really meant".
:hammer:

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Not the first time the coin toss has been botched this was from 1998. This resulted in calling heads or tails before the coin flip.