The botched coin toss thread

Flamma

Reaction score
Years ago most people never understood the kickoff choices. Most people automatically assumed if one team gets the ball to start the game, they other teams gets it at half. That's not how it works. Even some older computer football games got this wrong.

The later 80s Giants sometimes chose kickoff or defend either north or south. I'm pretty sure the '85 Bears did it to on multiple occasions.

Also, if you choose defer to 2nd half, that doesn't mean you'll be playing defense.

ConstantReboot

Reaction score
Well when the ref asked him what he wanted to do Dak said "we defer" to the 2nd half. There should have been no doubt at all what Dak said. He said defer when ask what he wanted to do.

Let's not beat around the bush. The refs messed this up and glad they corrected it.

MikeB80

Reaction score
The NFL was right to give the cowboys the ball.

No team would willingly choose to kick the ball to start both halves. Dak’s intent was clear.

HIs intent was clear and that was to play defense. Mr. Leadership screwed up. Why is this so hard for people to say?

TheCoolFan

Reaction score
Ridiculous that this was debated by the NFL until almost the end of halftime. Just shows you how inept the officiating is across the board. Use common sense. There are bigger things to worry about but of course they wanted to make it about them

MikeB80

Reaction score
Dumb question maybe, but why would a team ever want to kickoff for both halves?

Why even have this as an option?

It allows you to play to the weather. For instance you may want to have the ball going with the wind in the 4th quarter etc..

EST_1986

Reaction score
Dumb question maybe, but why would a team ever want to kickoff for both halves?

Why even have this as an option?
Probably in a bad weather game where wind plays a major major factor is the only reason I can think of

Chrispierce

Reaction score
That’s Dak’s fault for confusing the situation. He should have said “defer” not mention the words defense and kick. The refs a moron reading it the other way,but with morons you need to not give them that opportunity.

MikeB80

Reaction score
The NFL in New York disagrees. End of story.

it’s hard for people to say, because you don’t dictate their opinion on how things are.

I heard him say it on the radio when it happened. he said kick and brad sham just about jumped out of his chair because he heard it and knew it was wrong right away.

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
So since there’ll be like 8 of these same threads on this topic before they get merged, let me post what of course no one else is going to: the actual rule in place

ARTICLE 2. TOSS OF COIN. Not more than three minutes before the kickoff of the first half, the Referee, in the presence of both team’s captains (limit of six per team, active, inactive or honorary) shall toss a coin at the center of the field. Prior to the Referee’s toss, the call of “heads” or “tails” must be made by the captain of the visiting team, or by the captain designated by the Referee if there is no home team. Unless the winner of the toss defers his choice to the second half, he must choose one of two privileges, and the loser is given the other. The two privileges are:

(a) The opportunity to receive the kickoff, or to kick off; or
(b) The choice of goal his team will defend.

If the coin does not turn over in the air or the toss is compromised in any way, the Referee shall toss it again. The captain’s original call may not be changed.

Penalty: For failure to comply: Loss of coin-toss option for both halves and overtime, and loss of 15 yards from the spot of the kickoff for the first half only.

For the second half, the captain who lost the pregame toss is to have the first choice of the two privileges listed in (a) or (b), unless one of the teams lost its first and second half options, or unless the winner of the pregame toss deferred his choice to the second half, in which case he must choose (a) or (b) above. Immediately prior to the start of the second half, the captains of both teams must inform the Referee of their respective choices. A captain’s first choice from any alternative privileges listed above is final and not subject to change.

So the actual exchange between Dak and the referee was:

Dak: “Go defense, defense. We want to kick it. Kicking it that way.”
Referee: “You want to kick?”
Dak: “We defer to the second half, yes.”
Referee: “Okay, you’re going to kick?”
Dak: “Yeah.”

Looking at the rule, when Dak said, “Kick it,” that should have done it because it’s one of the choices in (a) when you win the toss. To be fair to the ref though, Dak did give him 2 different choices. "Kicking it" and "deferring to the second half" are separate things. By the rule, you only defer your choice to the second half, not getting the ball.

Garrett's clapping distracted him!

MikeB80

Reaction score
And then he clarified and said Defer. And the league officials agreed with that. Hence why the cowboys got the ball.

Pretty simple stuff.

But he said kick that way first. Dallas got a break.

Brad even read a statement from someone on the radio broadcast that Al Riveron was wrong to overturn Walt Anderson and give the ball to Dallas and then cited a rule as to why.

I'm glad they did but I can not believe how people can not admit Dak screwed up here like it affects them personally or something.

HungryLion

Reaction score
But he said kick that way first. Dallas got a break.

Brad even read a statement from someone on the radio broadcast that Al Riveron was wrong to overturn Walt Anderson and give the ball to Dallas and then cited a rule as to why.

I'm glad they did but I can not believe how people can not admit Dak screwed up here like it affects them personally or something.

If it bothers you that much that people “can not admit Dak screwed up”. Maybe you should focus on why that bothers you so much.

So he said kick and then clarified when asked. Anybody watching that happen can easily understand what he meant. If you want to focus on him using the word “kick” first. That’s fine. Focus on that.

But most people can’t believe it even comes to that in the first place. Common sense does need to be utilized when officiating a game. Hence why the nfl gave the cowboys the ball.

Either way. Everybody on earth knows what Dak meant. And I imagine he will learn from this and make sure to use the proper word next time.

Chrispierce

Reaction score
Ridiculous that this was debated by the NFL until almost the end of halftime. Just shows you how inept the officiating is across the board. Use common sense. There are bigger things to worry about but of course they wanted to make it about them
It’s the rules. They’ve made things too bureaucratic like it’s a formal gov committee,and how you wind up with these simple situations,where common sense is hindered.

LandryFan

Proud Native Texan, USMC-1972-79, USN-1983-2000
Reaction score
It wasn’t botched by Dak it was botched by the refs.
It was botched by the ST coach. This is just one more example of O’Quinn’s inattention to detail and not having his players properly prepared/educated. The coin toss is about as elementary a situation as any in the league, and he can’t even properly prepare his players for it. If by some chance the Cowboys get to the playoffs, I can almost guarantee O’Quinn will have a hand in at least one major gaffe in that game. It is beyond me how this guy has any job in the NFL, much less a job as a ST coordinator.

MikeB80

Reaction score
If it bothers you that much that people “can not admit Dak screwed up”. Maybe you should focus on why that bothers you so much.

So he said kick and then clarified when asked. Anybody watching that happen can easily understand what he meant. If you want to focus on him using the word “kick” first. That’s fine. Focus on that.

But most people can’t believe it even comes to that in the first place. Common sense does need to be utilized when officiating a game. Hence why the nfl gave the cowboys the ball.

Either way. Everybody on earth knows what Dak meant. And I imagine he will learn from this and make sure to use the proper word next time.

OMG. There are 3 options at a coin toss, He picked kick and pointed. That is one of the choices.

end of story. You have to say what you mean.

ReturnToGlory

Reaction score
Our two big wins, vs iggles and rams, we deferred.

One of the smartest coaches in league history does this all the time (ie, the cheater). There are reasons...