The Boxing of Beasley

Melonfeud

I Copy!,,, er,,,I guess,,,ah,,,maybe.
Reaction score
On August 3rd, at the end of week 1 of camp...Cole quit on the Cowboys and left Oxnard.

I’ve always wondered if Cole quit because he believed he wasn’t going to get a fair evaluation due to his size.

Here is what Cole says, looking back:
Frickin' Awesome!,,,:D

:starspin::starspin::starspin::starspin::starspin:

Melonfeud

I Copy!,,, er,,,I guess,,,ah,,,maybe.
Reaction score
He bought a small ranch just to have a place for his family and himself to hunt. My kind of guy.
Ain't you the one who " brilliantly mesmerizes His Labrador retrievers with STORIES of your past hunting exploits"?,,,if so,,,I'm grooving to yer' M.O. BRO!
:starspin::thumbup::starspin:

Hadenough

Reaction score
Yup! Bracket/box coverage was something that helped drive the thread title.
This is exactly what happens when you dont mix things up and you have Beasley running the exact same routes on the left and right side. I have a feeling by seeing an interview with Beasley that he is TOLD what route to run and not given an option to adjust that route according to the defense. That would all make sense as to why he is Daks favorite target. Dak doesnt have to read the defense he already knows where Beasley is going! This is all leading to Jason Garrett!

Hadenough

Reaction score
Now that Dez is gone other players have a shot at the most overrated player title. Dez is gone and Witten was sure to take the overrated torch from Dez, but now he is gone too. Now, Beas and every other payer has a legitimate shot at it. It's there for the taking!
Its everyone elses fault but the head coach! He needs new players that he can ruin!

Hadenough

Reaction score
Beasley is an all-pro, best receiver in the league....... Last season he broke records and showed how great he was by catching 36 passes. To be honest can't wait to he is off the team next season, he is the most overrated player on the Cowboys right now
Dude you sound like me last year. I couldnt wait for Dez to be cut!

Hadenough

Reaction score
Cole might catch an occasional ball downfield but he doesn’t have the height or arm length or physicality to battle for contested passes.
Beasley isnt a jump ball guy he is a guy even if he runs downfield he gets in and out of his break so quick he will be open. The QB needs to be accurate because he doesnt have a big catch radius. Dak went deep to him a few times and over threw him but the timing wasnt there.

Irvin88_4life

Reaction score
Dude you sound like me last year. I couldnt wait for Dez to be cut!
Honestly I didn't have anything against Beasley, thought he was just a decent slot receiver. This offseason though the Beasley lovers have got me to the point I almost dislike him. Which is crazy because I'm usually positive about everything.

T-RO

Reaction score
Honestly I didn't have anything against Beasley, thought he was just a decent slot receiver. This offseason though the Beasley lovers have got me to the point I almost dislike him. Which is crazy because I'm usually positive about everything.

I might understand this if fans were making unrealistic claims or predictions. I don’t recall anyone saying he’s a pro bowl receiver or is going to post >800 yards

You want to deprive the love just because others are giving him a little?

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
This is exactly what happens when you dont mix things up and you have Beasley running the exact same routes on the left and right side. I have a feeling by seeing an interview with Beasley that he is TOLD what route to run and not given an option to adjust that route according to the defense. That would all make sense as to why he is Daks favorite target. Dak doesnt have to read the defense he already knows where Beasley is going! This is all leading to Jason Garrett!

No, Beasley has an option on many snaps to go right or left. The route is defined other than direction, but it's based on the coverage.

Beasley is not effective on many routes which is why they don't change things up more often.

He has had some very good plays on the "other" routes but it's often because the defense is not expecting it and plays lose coverage.

He has had some very good RAC plays but it's a small percentage. Overall he is not a great RAC guy.

His best attribute is beating the CB when he cuts. The CB does not have the sideline for help and must play for Beasley to go left or right.

He is just open right after the cut. He does not have elite speed to maintain the separation he gets immediately after the cut. The ball needs to be there at the exact time he is open. The CB has more time to recover after the cut on longer throws.

On deeper routes the CBs length advantage causes problems for Beasley. They can reach over/around him.

His ability to change direction from going straight to going 90 degrees left or right is about as good as it gets. That ability is best utilized on routes that are less than 10 yards.

It is a high compliment to him that teams played true double coverage on him frequently because it's rare for dedicated slot WRs to get any double coverage.

When they didn't play true double coverage on him, they often played what I call 1.5x coverage on him. The CB would play for the out cut and a LB or Safety would be in a zone such that he was in Beasley's path if the cut was to the inside.

On 3rd and medium such as 3rd and 5, they would often double him.

The problem was on 3rd and long. Defenses would play off and hover right at the sticks (the 1st down distance) and if the ball went to Beasley they were confident they could come up and tackle him short of the 1st down. That made it easier to cover other receivers also because they were basically leaving Beasley un-covered short.

If defenses tried that with an elite speed guy like Tavon Austin, they wouldn't be able to come up fast enough to tackle him short of the 1st.

Lal said he has some scheme type changes in mind to help Beasley. I can only guess what those changes might entail.

If Dez had been a true #1 WR in 2017, then Beasley would not have seen much if any true double coverage.

Witten's lack of speed played a role as well. A 2 slot WR formation (4 WRs) this season with Beasley on one side and Tavon Austin on the other side would be interesting. They would not play 4 Wide in the past because Garrett refused to take Witten off the field. They did use the empty backfield set such that the RB lined up as the 4th WR but that formation has limitations.