The Cap, Fandom, and Loyalty

Swagger

Reaction score
Well, even in English football, you occasionally see smaller clubs in the running for the title and finishing top 4 or 5. Leicester City is a good example of this.
Yes that's true but it's rare though. Over the last 25 years it has pretty much been Man Utd, Man City, Chelsea and Arsenal winning the league. Blackburn bought the league in the 90's.

The season Leicester won the league was truly amazing and great to see but it probably won't go to a team like that again in my lifetime.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Yes that's true but it's rare though. Over the last 25 years it has pretty much been Man Utd, Man City, Chelsea and Arsenal winning the league. Blackburn bought the league in the 90's.

The season Leicester won the league was truly amazing and great to see but it probably won't go to a team like that again in my lifetime.

Yeah, it is rare, but it does show that it can happen. And you can't really put a salary cap in English football considering that no other Euro League does, and it's about competing in Europe as much as in the PL.

TexasBacon

Reaction score
My only rule as a fan, you root for the team, not the players.
That's kind of over-generalizing my point. It isn't one or the other but I just don't think it's as fun to root for the team when it's a rotating carousel of players. You start investing in rivalries, etc., and then they are gone in a year or two. Obviously everyone is team first. I'm not a Ravens fan or a Raiders fan just because Dez and Witten went there. I'm just saying I miss the days where players remained on a team at least double the time of what they do now because of the current salary cap structure/culture. I just feel like overall many players are less invested in a city/team because they could move on at any time. Look at what's about to happen this next season thanks to such a low cap.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
But who was responsible for evaluating that talent? It sure the hell was not Jerry Jones.

I'm not a big Jones fan but contrary to some opinions here, since Jones bought the Cowboys he has had the final say on everything Some seem to think that Johnson made all the decisions but he put that false rumor to rest on the pregame for Super Bowl XLV in Dallas when he said he didn't have the power and authority those outside of the organization thought he had. He also said that it really irked him while in Dallas to have to go to Jones for things he thought he should make the decisions on. Jones answer was always I write out all the checks so I decide. Now I'm sure that those free agents that he signed he was convinced they would be good just like I'm sure that there were others that he didn't agree on and they weren't signed. Ultimately if Jones didn't write out those checks and sign those free agents the Cowboys may not have won those 3 Super Bowls.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
My only rule as a fan, you root for the team, not the players.

So you root for cloth, logos, and history? :huh:

1970s-80s: Players made me a Cowboys fan (Staubach), along with the head coach (Landry). 1990s-2000s: Players (Triplets) and coaches (Jimmy/Tuna) kept me as a Cowboys fan.

Since the Garrett era began we've had some players who are/were hard to like and the coaches haven't been much better. I love the blue star but my passion as a fan of this team is almost tapped.

Winning something isn't likely to happen soon (thanks Jerry), so give me a player and/or coach to care about. Rooting for some of the clowns on the current roster, along with Fat Mike, ain't doing it for me.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
(Disclaimer: this is a long and somewhat pointless rant. I'm just in the ranting mood today.)

I'm 33 and was 7 the last time the Cowboys were in an NFC Championship game. I grew up about 2 hours east of Dallas and absolutely loved Troy, Emmitt, Michael, Moose, Newton, Tueni, et (yes, even as a 7 year old my dad made sure I knew about the linemen), etc. To me, those players were The Cowboys. The closest I've come to that as an adult was rooting for Romo, Witten, and Dez, and now Dak, Zeke, and Amari. As much as I root for the star I root for the players I love who have invested in the star. I'd much rather Dak stay here, continue to grow/improve, and win a Super Bowl than I would somehow acquire a QB like, say, Russell Wilson, even though I know Russell is better than Dak right now, and win a ring. And that's simply because Dak has earned my love and loyalty as the QB for the team I love. These days it feels like many fans would be fine if we cut every player on the team and an entirely different group of players won a SB wearing the star that year, and then half of those players move on the next year. In fact, many fans advocate for that. How is that fun? Wouldn't you rather root for the players on the roster to grow, bounce back, become elite, etc., instead of constantly trying to replace them?

I hate that the cap and the way the markets are now is forcing teams to keep players for shorter windows. I also hate that it's turned almost every fan into an armchair GM and makes us over-critical of players because of how tight the cap is to where many fans seem to root for them to fail so that they can justify moving on from them. It's also, IMO, made it where many players don't have the seething hatred for opposing teams they used to because everyone is so focused on being professional and getting paid in the current system that they are willing to play for any team that will pay them. I'm not saying that's wrong but my point is that it feels like a lot of players and fans have lost sight of what it is to root for a team and to have loyalty to a franchise. And yes, I know the teams are as cutthroat with the players as the players are with the teams, so I'm in no way blaming players. But rivalries are what make sports great, and those feel rarer and rarer. I'm not saying rivalries don't exist and I'm not saying fans don't still root for players but it just feels watered down compared to what it used to be. Maybe it's the internet, maybe it's because I'm an adult, or maybe Risen Star and Ranching have finally broken my spirit, lol.

I completely understand the purpose of the cap. I'm probably just complaining because it would be better for the Cowboys if Jerry could just throw money at everything instead of having to make calculated and correct decisions to build a winning team under the current confines of the league since he'll never hire a GM.

What would you do to "fix" this? I'd allow teams to designate 10 players as salary cap exempt. Let them pay whomever whatever they want to retain them. Then subject the remaining 43 players to the cap. Or, I would let teams have the cap plus 15% of their overall merchandise sales. You want them to sign Dak? Go buy some jerseys. Again, I understand the need for the cap but I think the league should try to find a way to let teams retain more than just 3-5 players long-term.
The Cap has watered down the depth and talent pool. There’s still cream at the top but not as much under the hood. The shiny car with wobbly wheels.

Owners want their star players but then struggle filling in the gaps. The only true solution is placing a Cap on positions if owners are intent on retaining a Cap and roster limits which also should be expanded.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
The Cap has watered down the depth and talent pool. There’s still cream at the top but not as much under the hood. The shiny car with wobbly wheels.

Owners want their star players but then struggle filling in the gaps. The only true solution is placing a Cap on positions if owners are intent on retaining a Cap and roster limits which also should be expanded.

An NBA-style "Bird Exception" rule just for QBs would go a long way towards fixing cap issues. Teams can exceed the cap to pay that one player (within limits), freeing up more space to build a roster.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
An NBA-style "Bird Exception" rule just for QBs would go a long way towards fixing cap issues. Teams can exceed the cap to pay that one player (within limits), freeing up more space to build a roster.
Yep

It just another illustration that teams aren’t really that concerned about building championship caliber teams. And why players are in it for themselves.

It’s why fans need to hold the owners responsible not the players.

12+88=7

Reaction score
So you root for cloth, logos, and history? :huh:

1970s-80s: Players made me a Cowboys fan (Staubach), along with the head coach (Landry). 1990s-2000s: Players (Triplets) and coaches (Jimmy/Tuna) kept me as a Cowboys fan.

Since the Garrett era began we've had some players who are/were hard to like and the coaches haven't been much better. I love the blue star but my passion as a fan of this team is almost tapped.

Winning something isn't likely to happen soon (thanks Jerry), so give me a player and/or coach to care about. Rooting for some of the clowns on the current roster, along with Fat Mike, ain't doing it for me.

Classic Seinfeld, I root for the laundry.

I've been a fan for over 50 years. I treat each year unique to itself. At the end of the Super Bowl the new year begins.

First is free agency, the draft, mini camp, OTAs, training camp and finally the season. Then wash, rinse, and repeat. It keeps each year fresh.

I don't dwell on last year or even the last 25 or 50 years whether it produces a championship or a winless season.

The 53 that is the team is who I enjoy rooting for. Sometimes it's chicken salad and sometimes it's not.

Cowfan75

Reaction score
Give me any other QB and a Super Bowl victory next season over watching Dak "grow" over a five year window with nothing to show for it. I root for my team first and foremost. I'll support the players who help the team win, maybe own their jersey, but when they're gone, they're gone. I grew up with the Triplets as my heroes. I was crushed when Emmitt left for AZ, terrified at the thought of Aikman going somewhere else to play before he decided to retire, almost in tears watching Irvin's career end on the turf. The NFL today does not allow you enough time to become emotionally attached to most players, with few exceptions remaining. It also matters that these players actually won something. Had the Triplets never won a SB, I wouldn't have been so broken up about their respective departures (excluding Irvin).

MyFairLady

Reaction score
If you root for the players then you you celebrate when players achieve their objectives. You celebrate Jaylon and Tank and Zeke signing their big deals. You celebrate Zeke holding out 2 years early and getting his way. You celebrate Gregory getting chance after chance despite letting the team down year after year. You celebrate Witten hanging on year after year getting in the way of younger players. You celebrate all of these things because they are the top priorities of the players that you cheer for. you celebrate those things because if you want to celebrate winning you will be **** out of luck.

Ranched

"We Are Penn State"
Reaction score
Give me any other QB and a Super Bowl victory next season over watching Dak "grow" over a five year window with nothing to show for it. I root for my team first and foremost. I'll support the players who help the team win, maybe own their jersey, but when they're gone, they're gone. I grew up with the Triplets as my heroes.
You're stuck in the past as many of us who've witnessed those great 90's championships. That said, we're spoiled & expect Dallas to win a Superbowl every year.

There are many teams that never been to the promised land. Cherish the memories & keep your chin up. That's all we can ever do as fans.

Cowfan75

Reaction score
You're stuck in the past as many of us who've witnessed those great 90's championships. That said, we're spoiled & expect Dallas to win a Superbowl every year.

There are many teams that never been to the promised land. Cherish the memories & keep your chin up. That's all we can ever do as fans.

I'm not stuck in the past; I barely remember it at this point. I watch my VHS tapes to relive the feeling.

Colombiacowboy

Reaction score
I'm not a big Jones fan but contrary to some opinions here, since Jones bought the Cowboys he has had the final say on everything Some seem to think that Johnson made all the decisions but he put that false rumor to rest on the pregame for Super Bowl XLV in Dallas when he said he didn't have the power and authority those outside of the organization thought he had. He also said that it really irked him while in Dallas to have to go to Jones for things he thought he should make the decisions on. Jones answer was always I write out all the checks so I decide. Now I'm sure that those free agents that he signed he was convinced they would be good just like I'm sure that there were others that he didn't agree on and they weren't signed. Ultimately if Jones didn't write out those checks and sign those free agents the Cowboys may not have won those 3 Super Bowls.

I agree, but the evaluation of talent is what has changed, not the decision-making. I would argue the Cowboys under JJ have had to head coaches with great evaluator skills...Johnson and Parcells. By the time Parcells got there though, JJ's ego was too far gone.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
I agree, but the evaluation of talent is what has changed, not the decision-making. I would argue the Cowboys under JJ have had to head coaches with great evaluator skills...Johnson and Parcells. By the time Parcells got there though, JJ's ego was too far gone.

Here's what wrong with your idea that Johnson and Parcells did all the evaluating back then. Johnson's first two drafts Jones over ruled him with their first round picks that turned out that Jones selected Aikman and Emmitt. In 1989 Johnson wanted to take Tony Mandarich with the 1st pick in the draft but Jones said no that they would take Aikman. Johnson had a problem with Aikman because when he left Oklahoma he turned down Johnson for a scholarship. Then in the 1990 draft Johnson talked Jones into moving up in the draft and they did with the steelers to draft a LB James Francis. About a minute after that trade for position was done the begals went on the clock and took Francis a couple picks ahead of the Cowboys. So Johnson said that they would draft another LB Tony Bennett but Jones said no they would take Emmitt. Johnson had the same problem with Emmitt because he too turned down Johnson on a scholarship offer.. This was all explained during that pregame round table for Super Bowl XLV in Dallas.

Colombiacowboy

Reaction score
Here's what wrong with your idea that Johnson and Parcells did all the evaluating back then. Johnson's first two drafts Jones over ruled him with their first round picks that turned out that Jones selected Aikman and Emmitt. In 1989 Johnson wanted to take Tony Mandarich with the 1st pick in the draft but Jones said no that they would take Aikman. Johnson had a problem with Aikman because when he left Oklahoma he turned down Johnson for a scholarship. Then in the 1990 draft Johnson talked Jones into moving up in the draft and they did with the steelers to draft a LB James Francis. About a minute after that trade for position was done the begals went on the clock and took Francis a couple picks ahead of the Cowboys. So Johnson said that they would draft another LB Tony Bennett but Jones said no they would take Emmitt. Johnson had the same problem with Emmitt because he too turned down Johnson on a scholarship offer.. This was all explained during that pregame round table for Super Bowl XLV in Dallas.

To be honest, I have never heard the story about Emmitt, and I heard a much different story about Aikman. You may be right, but even if Jerry did overrule Jimmy in those cases, Jimmy was at least there to try and put a stop to nonsensical picks. I think Parcells did the same. Let us not forget Jones proudly stating he was personally responsible for picking Shante Carver, Sherman Williams, Kavika Pittman and David LaFleur. Switzer put up no fight and that destroyed the franchise. Throw in mindless trades and the drafting of or signing terrible QBs (Carter, Henson, Leaf, Weeden, Henne, Wright...and a whole lot more)...it is mind boggling.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
To be honest, I have never heard the story about Emmitt, and I heard a much different story about Aikman. You may be right, but even if Jerry did overrule Jimmy in those cases, Jimmy was at least there to try and put a stop to nonsensical picks. I think Parcells did the same. Let us not forget Jones proudly stating he was personally responsible for picking Shante Carver, Sherman Williams, Kavika Pittman and David LaFleur. Switzer put up no fight and that destroyed the franchise. Throw in mindless trades and the drafting of or signing terrible QBs (Carter, Henson, Leaf, Weeden, Henne, Wright...and a whole lot more)...it is mind boggling.

You sound just like the people that hater Prescott and blame him for all the losses but don't give him ANY credit for the wins. So you listed some bad picks and left off all the good ones. No team hits 100% on all draft picks and to say that Jones only makes mistakes is foolishness. Again I repeat I'm not a big Jones fan but he has done some good things for this team.

Colombiacowboy

Reaction score
You sound just like the people that hater Prescott and blame him for all the losses but don't give him ANY credit for the wins. So you listed some bad picks and left off all the good ones. No team hits 100% on all draft picks and to say that Jones only makes mistakes is foolishness. Again I repeat I'm not a big Jones fan but he has done some good things for this team.
I absolutely agree with you. He has changed the football business and made the Cowboys the most valuable sports franchise in the world. But he overestimates his understanding of player personnel and scouting.

For the record...I have never blamed Dak for anything. I like him and I think he is much better than some of our friends on this board think. I don't think we should pay $41 million for him, but we shall see.