The Case Against an Earl Thomas Trade

bsbellomy

Reaction score
The case against an Earl Thomas trade

As training camp and preseason progresses, I am favoring that no deal be made for Earl Thomas more and more due to his antics on social media and for visiting the Texans training camp earlier in the week. The guy is still under contract and is taking things too far in my opinion. That amount of disrespect to the organization that drafted him and really ultimately created him into the player he is today is unnecessary and I take that as a sign that he is ultimately out for only himself. A type of player that, I believe, this front office is trying to distance themselves from.

We also need to take into consideration that the front office will be taking on his cap hit for this year and a likely 2-3 year extension soon after a trade is done to make him “happy.” All for a player who is nearing the end of his career and very well may have already played his best football, which will create a risk of not being able to afford to pay talent that has been homegrown and have a longer future.

In my opinion, the outlook on our defense is trending upwards and say let's roll with what we got.

As a fan of this team, I would be displeased with a trade that occurs where Dallas gives up anything more than a 5th round draft pick.

With each day that passes, I’m glad a deal hasn’t been made for Earl Thomas.

Jesus man, he went to the UNIVERSITY of TEXAS, not the TEXANS training camp. You know, like where he played his college ball?

bsbellomy

Reaction score
The only reason I've softened my stance on wanting to acquire him is the the fact the market for safeties has nosedived.

You can get a quality starting safety on the open market for $2M. THATS STUPID AND I CANT BELIEVE WE HAVENT JUMPED ALL OVER IT
Boston and Vacarro cost $1.5M with incentives up to $3M.

Is earl really worth 8x more in ssalary AND a 3rd round pick. I dont think so.

He's worth whatever the difference between single digit wins and double digit wins is.

northerncowboynation

Reaction score

As training camp and preseason progresses, I am favoring that no deal be made for Earl Thomas more and more due to his antics on social media and for visiting the Texans training camp earlier in the week. The guy is still under contract and is taking things too far in my opinion. That amount of disrespect to the organization that drafted him and really ultimately created him into the player he is today is unnecessary and I take that as a sign that he is ultimately out for only himself. A type of player that, I believe, this front office is trying to distance themselves from.

We also need to take into consideration that the front office will be taking on his cap hit for this year and a likely 2-3 year extension soon after a trade is done to make him “happy.” All for a player who is nearing the end of his career and very well may have already played his best football, which will create a risk of not being able to afford to pay talent that has been homegrown and have a longer future.

In my opinion, the outlook on our defense is trending upwards and say let's roll with what we got.

As a fan of this team, I would be displeased with a trade that occurs where Dallas gives up anything more than a 5th round draft pick.

No offense intended to the ET fans but I've said all along that this was never going to happen. I mean the Seahawks former secondary coach is a cowboy now, if Richard had wanted ET here, ET would have been here. He' s 30 with eroding skills, a lot of tread wear and he's a punk. Running from team to team, disrupting and looking for more money and a long term deal. Sorry ET if you aren't worth a big long term contract in Seattle, you aren't worth it here. JMO

ItzKelz

Reaction score
I have no problem with what Earl is doing. He's under contract and if he does not comply to the rules of that contract he understands he won't get paid. It his right to sit out and do whatever he wants. Carlson Palmer did it

J12B

Reaction score
Jesus man, he went to the UNIVERSITY of TEXAS, not the TEXANS training camp. You know, like where he played his college ball?

My mistake. It wouldn't have surprised me since he runs down Coach Garrett in the locker room after a game where his team was still in a hunt for the post season.

J12B

Reaction score
Well he wants to play for the Cowboys. I'm not gonna hold that against him. It's not like he said it on national tv.

I thought I read reports he was wanting to play for the Texans also since he is from Texas.

JustChip

Reaction score
Nonsense. This team has the makeup to compete and could come out of nowhere to contend just like philly did last year. The biggest issue standing in the way is the below average safety play. That will kill them in the playoffs or maybe even keep th m from getting there. They have plenty of cap room moving forward so that is a non issue. Anyone that actually wants to win this year or next would be on board 100% with an ET trade.
Wait a minute, I thought the biggest thing standing in the way is the below average QB play. At least that’s what I read on here quite a bit.

Cowboys22

Reaction score
Wait a minute, I thought the biggest thing standing in the way is the below average QB play. At least that’s what I read on here quite a bit.

Not from me. Dak has a few issues that create legit concerns for some but he won’t be the reason they fail. Not being able to stop good QBs throwing on our safeties will be.

Sydla

Reaction score

The case for:

1) He's better than any safety we have on the roster, easily.

2) We have $14.5MM in cap space this year, we would carry him at $8.5MM this year, more than reasonable for an upper echelon safety.

3) We will have the cap space going forward to sign him to a long term deal. It is said he wants Seattle to pay him more than Berry, but I suspect if he were coming here, he'd take a bit less.

4) He's be a big asset on the field as well as mentor for our young safeties.

5) He didn't go to the Texans camp. He went to UT as people have pointed out. There have also never been any complaints about him as a bad teammate or malcontent. He wants to get paid as do a lot of players have in his same position.

6) Dallas doesn't have to panic here because they know Seattle is in a bind. So no, there is no chance the Cowboys would give up a 2019 for him even if they thought he was a big piece to maybe making a SB run.

7) 3rd rounder or less and maybe a player? Absolutely. Get her done. He makes our defense close to elite if they get solid DT play.

Sydla

Reaction score
The only reason I've softened my stance on wanting to acquire him is the the fact the market for safeties has nosedived.

You can get a quality starting safety on the open market for $2M. THATS STUPID AND I CANT BELIEVE WE HAVENT JUMPED ALL OVER IT
Boston and Vacarro cost $1.5M with incentives up to $3M.

Is earl really worth 8x more in ssalary AND a 3rd round pick. I dont think so.

Yes. Earl Thomas is significantly better than Boston, Vaccaro.

Boston, if he plays well, would net $3MM. Thomas, who would still be better, would get paid $8.5MM this year. Yeah, that $5.5MM is worth the different in their play IMO.

T-RO

Reaction score
I very much share the concern for paying big for a guy who has started his age-decline arc.

That said, I stand by my prediction of a trade in mid-to-late August. The one thing that could dissuade the Cowboys making a trade is if Dak struggles in the next few preseason games.

If the team feels it needs a QB they may hoard draft capital to move up.

Verdict

Reaction score
Yeah, don't want to accelerate the process by improving the roster with a talent like Earl Thomas. Take it nice and slow.

Accelerate its decline and cap woes? That makes perfect sense!

Maxmadden

Reaction score
Well he wants to play for the Cowboys. I'm not gonna hold that against him. It's not like he said it on national tv.
Yeah, I don't get it. In the NFL where contracts are not guaranteed. Who doesn't want to work closer to home and family? He can see that there is a good reason to believe our secondary is up and coming and we are a young and hungry defense.

He could be the General Lee in the secondary. If Richard wants it, it will happen.

He is just reading the tea leaves in Seattle. It's time to come home and spend more time with friends and family..

Verdict

Reaction score
Yes. Earl Thomas is significantly better than Boston, Vaccaro.

Boston, if he plays well, would net $3MM. Thomas, who would still be better, would get paid $8.5MM this year. Yeah, that $5.5MM is worth the different in their play IMO.

I don't think ET wants to play for $8M per year. Or maybe I'm missing something.

Verdict

Reaction score
Yeah, I don't get it. In the NFL where contracts are not guaranteed. Who doesn't want to work closer to home and family? He can see that there is a good reason to believe our secondary is up and coming and we young and hungry defense.

He could be the General Lee in the secondary. If Richard wants it, it will happen.

He is just reading the tea leaves in Seattle. It's time to come home and spend more time with friends and family..

Maybe. I think he wants to get paid. He could "come home" in about 5 months. That's not very long a very long time. Lol.

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
Accelerate its decline and cap woes? That makes perfect sense!
Won’t impact the cap. We won’t want to pay Lawrence so there will be plenty of money to keep paying offensive linemen .