The Case Against an Earl Thomas Trade

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
If a deal makes him happy AND the team happy I am all for it.

ET wants paid. That'll make him happy.

Which begs the question, what's his motivation after he's got his money? A SB ring? He's got one. All Pro status? He's been there.

Overpaying for a guy whose best years are behind him, and who just wants paid, has rarely been a recipe for success. That scenario is littered with busts, as aging stars are content to cruise across the finish line with money in hand and accolades (earned before you paid them) in their pocket.

bsbellomy

Reaction score
Getting an average player starter at any position other than FB or ST for $2M is a freaking steal. That's the point.

Earl Thomas is much better than them, he's not that much better that he commands that much more salary AND a valuable pick.

Again if I'm choosing between Vacarro/Boston+La'el Collins+Gallup or just Earl Thomas. I'm taking option 1

We'll you can't fill too many spots with average guys and be an above average team.

bsbellomy

Reaction score
You dont get average starters out of the draft automatically LMAO. That is 1000% incorrect. You hope and pray anyone drafted after the 2nd develops into an average starter.

Getting a top 40 player at $2M is a freaking steal. If you dont understand that, that's on you.

But so that youll figure it out, again. Which would you take:
A. Boston/Vacaroo, La'el, and Gallup
B. Earl

Well Cowboys said thanks but no thanks to Boston and Vaccaro so they feel obviously that wouldn't be an upgrade. And I'm not sure why you threw La'el in there, he didn't even get drafted.

bsbellomy

Reaction score
Since the C-boys are currently involved in a youth movement, I can easily see how ET (plus his $ demands) would be prohibitive.

The Cowboys core group is good enough to compete for a championship RIGHT NOW. They should be trying to add all the talent they can while Dak and Zeke are on their rookie deals. And as great as that OL is they aren't getting any younger.

Verdict

Reaction score
ET wants paid. That'll make him happy.

Which begs the question, what's his motivation after he's got his money? A SB ring? He's got one. All Pro status? He's been there.

Overpaying for a guy whose best years are behind him, and who just wants paid, has rarely been a recipe for success. That scenario is littered with busts, as aging stars are content to cruise across the finish line with money in hand and accolades (earned before you paid them) in their pocket.

Yeah it screams "fail".

Verdict

Reaction score
You're right, we can afford to go down the same road year after year even though it's not worked since I was a mid 20's lad. We don't need elite
talent on this team, we're good.

I'm glad you agree.

Verdict

Reaction score
Well, you don’t know me too well, but give you A for effort. Nice try.

The reason why you want to be smart with your money is so you can afford to take a chance on adding an Earl Thomas type of player, not so you can let him pass by while claiming you’re being smart. There are no guarantees and I don’t mind the team taking a chance. They just have to learn when to cut bait on a failure. For example, when it is evident Brandon Carr isn’t worth his $10 million a year, let him go when it saves moeny instead of keeping him 2 more years.

If we don’t ever want to take that chance, there really isn’t any reason to be smart with the cap. Won’t matter if we are in cap hell, if we dont want to spend the money it doesn’t matter if we have it or not.

But, we can let Earl pass, we can have more cap space for next year and make the same arguments about other players we could sign but really don’t want to,m because I am sure they will be too old, want too much money, have had an injury, or some other reason the Cowboys should stand pat with their talent and not try to upgrade except through the draft, which is also not guaranteed to improve the team.

If you substitute the words "elite impact player who will be will worth his contract for the duration of his contract" for the words "Earl Thomas" in your post it will be spot on.

Verdict

Reaction score
LOL.

If you were betting your life on which safety would be better the next three years, who would you pick? Heath or Thomas?

Heath if you factor in the salary cap. Hands down.

Verdict

Reaction score
Certainly not listen to a guy that actually tried to argue Thomas could be a progress stopper in Dallas.

As if Dallas is loaded with young, elite level safety talent.

To each his own brother. To each his own.

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
If you substitute the words "elite impact player who will be will worth his contract for the duration of his contract" for the words "Earl Thomas" in your post it will be spot on.
Which will never happen. There will always be a reason we can’t guarantee someone will be “an elite impact player who will be worth his contract for the duration of his contract”.

Let’s just hope the slow process yields results in our lifetime and all of our rookies develop at a quick rate.

jay94

Reaction score
Which is just completely stupid, we already have to be one of the youngest teams in the league, sure were finding 500 different ways to be 500 and believe we will achieve that again. Great teams make trades to improve their roster, mediocre ones trust the process.

ConstantReboot

Reaction score
The defense is trending upwards until you need 1 play over 4 quarters against Rodgers in the playoffs, and you're sent home.

Some people are drastically underestimating how good Seattles best defensive player and the key to their cover 3 single high scheme for years and years, is actually.

A conditional 3rd that turns into a 2nd possibly is a no brainer. If you're a young defense with some talent, like ours, and you throw your hands up at that offer then you don't deserve to win anything.

Im all for pulling the trigger on Thomas. A conditional 3rd which can turn into a 2nd would be a good deal.

Besides, we only use our 2nd rounder on risky players until recently. If there is one position we need to fill on our defense is the safety position. Thomas would be the man to fill that need.

StarBoyz83

Reaction score
Would love to have thomas but if were were to make a big move that would benefit this team the most it would easily be getting Aaron Donald imo

(Sentence looks huge but I couldnt figure out what I did wrong. Lol not sure i usually try to have good grammar)

Reaction score
They need safety help but I'd hate to see them pay for a Rolls Royce when a Mercedes would do... still, it sure would be nice to have a Rolls Royce.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Vaccaro is a SS and an average one....... same with Reid

Boston is a gambling FS but not much of an improvement over Heath
I'm more worried at SS. Particularly with the latest depth chart with Heath over Frazier.

Heath gets worse in coverage the closer you put him to the LOS. He's at his best as an over the top FS. And he makes plays for us there.

Instead, they put him at SS, which tells me that Frazier has failed to win the job. Which tells me that he isn't a decent SS, and I know Heath isn't, so we don't have a decent SS on the team.

They're infatuated with Woods over Heath. Fine. Heath makes plays as a centerfielder, and would make even more with the improvement I expect to see on the dline.

So we've got two free safeties, and no strong safety. I don't know if Vacarro is the answer, but as much as I like Heath at FS, I dislike him at SS. Heath is not the answer at SS.