The Case Against Extending Elliott

QuincyCarterEra

Reaction score
@QuincyCarterEra It isn't good resource management when you have an an injury prone rb in McFadden who is due an injury every year and a complete moron who we cut in the middle of the season. To depend on them. In 2016 had we just gone with D-Mac we would have been screwed.

You're constantly turning over the roster at that position or just find someone good enough to keep there.

I don't agree that that's good footballin' to trust in a basket case and a mash unit member.

McFadden was just an example of a JAG that produced for us. I dont know why you're so caught up on him.

I even mention getting two backs better than the two mentioned so we wouldn't just get 90% of Zekes production, but exceed our current RB production.

So just stop latching onto them, getting two average backs and spending the CAP saved on positions that help your running game more than RB is smart footballing

No in 2016 we would have had McFadden and Morris, as well as Jalen Ramsey or Rankins and had a better team as well as a better chance of beating Green Bay.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
We're 4-4 without Elliott starting. Let's not act like we're doomed if we use other RBs.

JD_KaPow

jimnabby
Reaction score
We're 4-4 without Elliott starting. Let's not act like we're doomed if we use other RBs.
And in the three-game disaster stretch in 2017, we were without Tyron in two of those and he wasn't healthy in the third. That was a much bigger reason we lost those games than missing Zeke.

Johnny23

Reaction score
That's the definition of mediocre. That's not good.

You're not winning anything being mediocre.

As for McFadden @QuincyCarterEra you brought up him up first. I am expondibg on why I am not so enamored with the prospect of him producing one year the bulk of which was when we were completely out of to someone who keep us in it.To the next when he was rightfully put to pasture.

They're both were jags. I would rather have good to great players than jags.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
And in the three-game disaster stretch in 2017, we were without Tyron in two of those and he wasn't healthy in the third. That was a much bigger reason we lost those games than missing Zeke.
Not just Smith, but the whole line struggled.

QuincyCarterEra

Reaction score
@QuincyCarterEra It isn't good resource management when you have an an injury prone rb in McFadden who is due an injury every year and a complete moron who we cut in the middle of the season. To depend on them. In 2016 had we just gone with D-Mac we would have been screwed.

You're constantly turning over the roster at that position or just find someone good enough to keep there.

I don't agree that that's good footballin' to trust in a basket case and a mash unit member.

An injury prone RB and "a complete moron" had 90% of Zeke's production AND WERE MORE EFFECTIVE under worse circumstances.

Don't care about the tangent you go on. If that's all it takes, that's really all you need to know.

Saying we would have been screwed in 2016 without Zeke is simply a silly statement.

JD_KaPow

jimnabby
Reaction score
Zeke is under contract for 2 more seasons.
Actually holding out of regular season games is NOT likely to happen.
Le'Veon Bell lost 14.5M and didn't gain anything by skipping 2018.​
Bell quite likely disagrees with you. He believed Pittsburgh intended to run him into the ground before letting him go (much as Dallas did with Murray) and wanted to avoid that. He was probably right. He may have extended his career substantially by sitting out. And he certainly didn't suffer a major injury that would keep him from getting that next contract.

If I'm Zeke, I expect Dallas to do the same thing to me that they did to Murray. If I'm Dallas, that's exactly my plan. So a Zeke holdout (next year, not this year) seems inevitable to me.

Johnny23

Reaction score
An injury prone RB and "a complete moron" had 90% of Zeke's production AND WERE MORE EFFECTIVE under worse circumstances.

Don't care about the tangent you go on. If that's all it takes, that's really all you need to know.

Saying we would have been screwed in 2016 without Zeke is simply a silly statement.
McFadden wasn't healthy until late in the season say we would have to have signed another Jag because D-Mac broke his elbow. Who knows what happen happens after that.

Batman1980

Reaction score
Top 3 RB's can bring you boat load in a trade, which is better than paying the RB a boatload. Top RBs are replaced all the time without skipping a beat. Zeke is replaceable and he certainly is not so valuable to the team that he gets paid a boatload. Trade is the best course of action here.

He was never going to live up to the being a top 4 overall pick and he's not worth top 4 overall RB $ either.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I agree. We’re just reduced pretty much to a non playoff team.

We were relevant in our 8-8 seasons all the way to our finale play-in game. Relevant football :)

Diehardblues

Reaction score
It would be typical from the Homers to denounce the importance of Elliott now that he might be threatening to sit. Lol

Always bashing potential former or Cowboys who go to other teams. Shocking :)

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Yea, we’ll be just fine without Elliott this year. We’re a .500 team without him. We won’t miss the leading rusher in NFL on this 22nd ranked offense.

Onward thru... lol

baltcowboy

Reaction score
Seems like you are building a better case against paying Dak. If he can't get the job done with Zeke then he's sure in a world trouble without him.

Oh and for the record Dak during Zeke's 6 game suspension in 2017: 1146 yards (191/gm), 107-167 (64%), 5TDs and 7 INTs, 18ppg.
I will never understand why anyone uses those 6 games to judge Dak. The team especially in 2017 was built around Zeke. As I have said in many other threads, the Cowboys are built for a bell cow back. Zeke is probably the only bell cow left in the league. If we can sign him for a little more then Gurley, it would actually be a bargain. Taking Zeke away from the 2017 team was like taking Luck away from the Colts or Rodgers away from the Packers. Both teams sucked that year and we fell below expectations.

Batman1980

Reaction score
Has more to do with his inability to score consistently or even rip off big plays consistently.

StuckMojo

Reaction score
We were only 18th in the league in successful rush %, and considering how good our run blocking was(10th) that's just unacceptable.

Our running game has to take the next step and the way to do it is our running backs being more effective with the rock per carry.

Paying the largest RB contract to someone contributing to the 18th most efficient rush attack? LMAO hell no

But i bet you want to overpay our QB

Flamma

Reaction score
The case for seems to revolve around two points.

1) He's a top 3 RB.

Can't argue that point and he'd probably be #1 if he scored more TD's on a team ranked 22nd in scoring in the NFL and 14th in the NFC. You read that right, 14th in the NFC behind the NYG and PHL. The only two NFC teams to score less were WAS and AZ.

The point I will argue is the necessity of a top 3 RB on any team.

2) The Cowboys run the offense through him and the QB is not as good without him in the game.

Can't argue that point either but is there a good reason to continue doing that with the price of the player? Is that what this offense is going to be dependent on for the QB? If so, take a look at that scoring ranking in the NFC again. A full 10 ppg behind the NFCCG participants. The QB needs THIS RB to average 21 ppg?

Maybe we're looking at this problem from the wrong angle? This QB needs a run game, or at least has up until now, but the only reason he needs this RB is that he's the only RB1 he's had. Do we assume there aren't other RB's that can help the QB? Cheaper RB's? Maybe playing in college this season?

The real case for not having a top 5 paid RB is that if this offense continues to run the offense through him, it's not going anywhere. That's the offense of yesteryear and if you think they promoted an ex QB to OC to run the ball, think that one again. All of this sign Elliott is based on that #2 point. If you expect that to continue, then expect another OC next season.

The name of the game is scoring and he doesn't do that. Top 5 paid RB's don't rank 19th in rushing TD's. And top 5 paid RB's don't get 47 yards on 20 carries and 2 catches for 19 in the most important game of the season.

A good RB is a necessity, a top 5 paid one is a luxury.

Ok, dude, you're mixing too much crap together here. The offense of yesteryear? It still works. Just because it is not necessary doesn't mean it doesn't work. Lots of ways to win championships. Defense alone has proven you can win. We do not have a high powered passing game with an elite QB. We don't have that. If you think it's a good idea to downgrade at running back then so be it. We couldn't sniff a championship with Romo and Murray getting over 1800 yards, do you think Dak and good RB that's not Elliott is going to somehow get us over the hump? That D better be elite + if that's going to happen.

You and other people can keep trying to use stats to make a point, but in the NFL we use our eyes. People are down on Dak (including myself) but the guy is a winner. I can't take that away from him. Same goes for Elliott. He has won games for us. Something your average to good back isn't going to do. Do we win that game in Pittsburgh in 2016 if not for Elliott? Not a chance. Or our first meeting against Philly if not for both the rookies combined effort?

This is how Dallas is set up right now. No need to try and be the Saints. Use our strengths and improve on that.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
That's the definition of mediocre. That's not good.

You're not winning anything being mediocre.

As for McFadden @QuincyCarterEra you brought up him up first. I am expondibg on why I am not so enamored with the prospect of him producing one year the bulk of which was when we were completely out of to someone who keep us in it.To the next when he was rightfully put to pasture.

They're both were jags. I would rather have good to great players than jags.
A number of RB's could help us win games.