The Case Against Extending Elliott

Blackrain

Reaction score
While we could rebound next year in draft or FA it would be potentially devastating this year without Elliott.

If he does intend to sit out I could see this dragging into the season . And pending how well the season is going might determine if Jerry reacts. In other words if we are struggling like we begin last year I wouldn’t be surprised if Jerry buckled and signed him. If we don’t appear to be missing him then we might look to trade him.

I hear you could be disaster if we cant run the ball . How would we protect the coaching at that point . We need a ball control offense with long methodical drives to cover our warts .

Who could we get at this point to give us the production we need . Hope Jerry dosent wait till we are struggling . If we don't have a sure back up plan pay the man and lets at least have good football to watch till we are outcoached in the playoffs .

Sorry Im selfish at this point I want as much good football to watch as can be had from this current team . I know we cant win a SB with this coaching staff because we cant manage the clock or out scheme other teams .

For us its all about just moving the chains, taking a long time to score and keeping the ball away from the other team . Its really so simple . If we are powerful enough like in Zekes rookie year to be able to get 5yrds a crack WHEN EVERYBODY KNOWS WE ARE RUNNING we prevent Garrett from having to coach manage the clock or anything else he can screw up in a big game situation.

In our case the most basic smash mouth approach will take us the farthest . But we need Zeke or a guy with equal talent to get us there and give us some good football to watch

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
We're 4-4 without Elliott starting. Let's not act like we're doomed if we use other RBs.
G, that record was with a backup, I am not advocating going with backups like they tried to do with WR's last season.

There will be quite a few RB's next draft and we don't yet know the value of Weber and Pollard.

Reactions: G2

cern

Reaction score
Yep most won't use a 1st on a RB, why would they trade a first for one that wants to be highly paid? The trade options are limited.
can't argue that. unless it's a highly valued qb or absolute star defensive player like khalil mack, not likely to happen. or in the case of the cowboys, a wr like Amari cooper.

Blackrain

Reaction score
Yep.....…...you don't replace Zeke with a scrub. And your not going to find ONE back that is as good as Zeke. But you can have 2 or 3 backs that can equal his production. And you can probably do it for 1/4 the price if you use the draft.

The RB position would be a position where I would NEVER use a #1 pick and never let a guy get to that 2nd big contract. If they want big money, they can walk or trade them.

I agree a RB by committee could probably be developed, but Im not confident in Garrett or our Staff to do the Job . Great coaches like Belicheck can do those types of things and use the money to acquire more talent at other areas .

I guess at this juncture I feel if we let Zeke get away and try the committee approach we will end up like we did at WR last year and have to make another desperate fix if we were to struggle running like we did at WR

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
I agree a RB by committee could probably be developed, but Im not confident in Garrett or our Staff to do the Job . Great coaches like Belicheck can do those types of things and use the money to acquire more talent at other areas .

I guess at this juncture I feel if we let Zeke get away and try the committee approach we will end up like we did at WR last year and have to make another desperate fix if we were to struggle running like we did at WR
In case you haven’t heard Linehan is gone and the Cowboys hired a new Offensive Coordinator. Give him a chance before you spew this nonsense.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Yep most won't use a 1st on a RB, why would they trade a first for one that wants to be highly paid? The trade options are limited.
Yep

Elliott has us by the balls. I’m actually proud of the kid. He’s much smarter than I gave him credit for.

I wonder if Cheapskate Son will convince DaddyO to let him sit?

I can just see Big Daddy squirming in the Skybox after getting off to a slow start watching the season slipping away and his new franchise 30 million QB looking like a Chump .And then suddenly storming out avoiding reporters to make a big announcement to save the season.

Gosh Coach. We couldn’t have created more high drama than this heading into Camp. I’m on the edge of my seat. Lol

cern

Reaction score
Yep

Elliott has us by the balls. I’m actually proud of the kid. He’s much smarter than I have him credit for.

I can just see Big Daddy squirming in the Skybox after getting off to a slow start watching the season slipping away and his new franchise 30 million QB looking like a Chump .And then suddenly storming out avoiding reporters to make a big announcement to save the season.

Gosh Coach. We couldn’t have created more high drama than this heading into Camp. I’m on the edge of my seat. Lol
passive/aggressive much? transparent, or translucent???? :)

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yep

Elliott has us by the balls. I’m actually proud of the kid. He’s much smarter than I gave him credit for.

Not just him, Lawrence had them, then Prescott latched on and Cooper and now Elliott and a lot of that is the doing of the Joneses. This is exactly why you don't see ANY other GM's or VP/Personnel openly discussing these things with the media. That's like announcing to the family at dinner one night, we're going to Disney World. Damned well better be going to Disney World.

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
Yep

All of that is in your mind. We don’t even know if Elliott is planning on holding out, much less what the team’s response would be.

It’s odd that your high standard of needing hard proof to see that Stephen is making a lot of the decisions isn’t present in this case.

Zero proof that Zeke is even going to hold out and you already have Jerry storming out of a game, lol.

I guess you pick and choose where hard proof is really needed.

cern

Reaction score
All of that is in your mind. We don’t even know if Elliott is planning on holding out, much less what the team’s response would be.

It’s odd that your high standard of needing hard proof to see that Stephen is making a lot of the decisions isn’t present in this case.

Zero proof that Zeke is even going to hold out and you already have Jerry storming out of a game, lol.

true, there is absolutely nothing to indicate zeke will hold out. he was at ota's and mini camp. and even if he did, isn't it wise to avoid risk of injury while a deal is being made. earl Thomas would say so. I think this entire story is classic Shakespeare...…………...much ado about nothing.

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
true, there is absolutely nothing to indicate zeke will hold out. he was at ota's and mini camp. and even if he did, isn't it wise to avoid risk of injury while a deal is being made. earl Thomas would say so. I think this entire story is classic Shakespeare...…………...much ado about nothing.
Yep.

To me it is just as likely to not happen as happen... because we’ve really seen nothing one way or the other. An unsubstantiated media report does nothing to convince me one way or the other.

Now if we had seen some signs, it would be different. Like you said, had he skipped voluntary workouts, OTA’s, or mini-camp, I’d be more inclined to believe in a holdout. There has been nothing.

With the Stephen in charge question, there is plenty there to read the tea leaves and deduce that he’s making a lot of the decisions. Here though, there’s nothing more than internet speculation.

I’m not saying he will or won’t hold out, but I will say there’s basically nothing indicating that he’s planning on it.

I certainly won’t run with it enough to start planning Dallas’ trade partners or decide that Jerry is going to bail on a regular season game because he’s mad at Stephen for not signing Zeke. That is preposterous.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Ya know, I get that pet cat thing, I used to have my untouchables as well but I've spent a lot of time watching how that guy in NE does things and it all begins with one principle, no one isn't expendable. That includes the QB and if Kraft hadn't interceded and got Brady to go along with that contract, he would be playing somewhere else.

He doesn't get himself into situations where a player can hold him up and take him out of his formula because he doesn't get too dependent on one player. Flowers was right there with Lawrence except he actually showed up in crunch time and Belichick didn't blink, didn't even tag him and try to work something out. Just wished him well and will probably see him again after this contract like he did Jamie Collins.

There is this imaginary point where a good player crosses it and begins to hurt his team because he's taking too much of the cap. Example, Lawrence. If he's only as good as he was, he's a liability. He must step up and be, by far, the best player on that defense and he wasn't last season. He wasn't the best and he wasn't consistent, he's yet to show he's a crunch time asset. However, he's pulling 11% of this year's cap. But that's not really what he's doing.

Considering that the team isn't going to commit anymore than 45% of the total cap to the D side, and with the triplets pending they won't come close to that if they sign them they could take close to 35% of the total cap...just the 3 of them. So, let's assume 45% to the D side, Lawrence is taking 22% of that, 1 player accounting for almost a quarter of the available money with a CB and LB in the wings waiting for their payday. Don't know if you've seen the chart but 4 of that starting back 7 is up next year and 2 of the front 4. Half the defense is up and 22% going to one player already.

I am pretty sure Belichick would have loved to have kept Flowers. He played for my Hogs and stayed his senior season to help his HC out, he's as good a team guy as you'd ever want and a good player but Belichick knew he couldn't pull the trigger on that and stay true to his formula. That's why he's the best of this era, he has a formula and that takes priority over any player because it benefits all of his players.

Do you think Belichick would even be considering an extension for Elliott, even if he is the best RB in the league?

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
But we don't have much to discuss so this does serve a purpose.

Posters complain about running with the rumors but hell, that's part of the mojo about being a Cowboys fan. None of these other fans get what we get. Who cares if it's the truth, it's a topic!

Diehardblues

Reaction score

This is a Fan Forum not a verifiable news source. Speculative rumors rule the roost. As long as it’s not made up. Which Elliott’s potential hold out I didn’t make up. The rest is pure fun..

Diehardblues

Reaction score
But we don't have much to discuss so this does serve a purpose.

Posters complain about running with the rumors but hell, that's part of the mojo about being a Cowboys fan. None of these other fans get what we get. Who cares if it's the truth, it's a topic!

Drama is the lifeblood of Social Media and especially Fan Forums. I love Hot Topics full of speculative gesture. It’s good business for the advertisers.

Weren’t we all bored with Dak and Garrett threads. This is awesome !!

Last edited:

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Not just him, Lawrence had them, then Prescott latched on and Cooper and now Elliott and a lot of that is the doing of the Joneses. This is exactly why you don't see ANY other GM's or VP/Personnel openly discussing these things with the media. That's like announcing to the family at dinner one night, we're going to Disney World. Damned well better be going to Disney World.
Yea, but we had the others on our radar but not Elliott potentially holding out 2 years early.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
passive/aggressive much? transparent, or translucent???? :)
These type of speculative Hot Topics are a blast. And Elliott served it up again. This might be as juicy as his suspension a couple years ago. Lol

I havent commented on anything else in over 24 hours.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
G, that record was with a backup, I am not advocating going with backups like they tried to do with WR's last season.

There will be quite a few RB's next draft and we don't yet know the value of Weber and Pollard.
You think the Cheapskate Son will try to convince Big Daddy to go a RB by Committee again. Lol

After all he is running Cowboys Football:)