The Commanders game now represents a very real fork in our season

parchy

Reaction score
Both Dallas and Washington go into the Week 10 bye off losses, ours clearly worse than theirs, but both losses all the same. We win, we shoot up to 6-4 and the Skins are pulled down to 6-4, both teams are tied in NFC East records at 2-2 and are into a very real position to take hold of the 2nd spot in the division with Philly likely losing to the Gints in Week 10.

I don't really need to point out what it looks like if we lose, but its pretty grim. We make things really, really hard on ourselves if we're at 5-5, especially when Philly's almost guaranteed a 6-4 next few weeks since they play Cincy in Week 11.

Yes, just win and it all takes care of itself, but this Washington game has become our own mini playoff game now. How sweet would it be for Romo to ride in on his return and smack the Skins around in Washington? Unfortunately its almost completely necessary now.

thewivil

Reaction score
Yeah, this will be our most important game of the season by far. Hopefully, we can patch our wounds and come out as healthy as possible and get a win. We desperately need it.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
parchy;2398665 said:
Yes, just win and it all takes care of itself, but this Washington game has become our own mini playoff game now. .

every NFC East game is exactly this. Always has been. Always will be. The team that comes out of the East in 3rd place will have a very real chance to make it to the SB. The division is that good. The last place team will be better than at least two of the division winners.

ajk23az

Through Pain Comes Clarity
Reaction score
if we beat the skins we will/should be 8-4 (49ers/seahawks). Not too bad with 4 games remaining after that.

DasTex

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
ajk23az;2398818 said:
if we beat the skins we will/should be 8-4 (49ers/seahawks). Not too bad with 4 games remaining after that.

See the Rams game. There isn't any will/should win games left. This team hasn't shown the ability to beat up on weaker opponents. I hope it changes, but so far.....

Rampage

Benched
Reaction score
numnuts23;2398826 said:
See the Rams game. There isn't any will/should win games left. This team hasn't shown the ability to beat up on weaker opponents. I hope it changes, but so far.....
In Romo we trust my brother

ScipioCowboy

More than meets the eye.
Reaction score
Another key point:

It seems that Washington's offense has been in a state of steady decline over the past month. Zorn may have hit a ceiling. The Commanders simply aren't executing as well or as efficiently as they were when they defeated the Cowboys several weeks ago.

Of course, no one can deny the recent struggles of the Dallas offense, whose decline is more aptly described as an outright free fall. However, unlike the Cowboys, the Commanders do not have the luxury of a bevy of players returning from injury after the bye.

notherbob

Reaction score
If you look at this team's performance in must-win games the past few years, it doesn't look good. This team has lost almost every one of the must-win games it has played ever since Jimmy Johnson left.

History is not on this team's side and neither is its apparent lack of confidence in itself and enthusiasm this year.

AdamJT13

Salary Cap Analyst
Reaction score
parchy;2398665 said:
Both Dallas and Washington go into the Week 10 bye off losses, ours clearly worse than theirs

I'm not sure what you mean by saying ours was worse, but I don't really see how it was worse. We lost by 21 on the road against a 6-1 team, when we were playing without our starting QB. The Commanders, with their starting QB, lost by 17 at home against a 5-2 team.

We win, we shoot up to 6-4 and the Skins are pulled down to 6-4, both teams are tied in NFC East records at 2-2 and are into a very real position to take hold of the 2nd spot in the division with Philly likely losing to the Gints in Week 10.

I don't really need to point out what it looks like if we lose, but its pretty grim. We make things really, really hard on ourselves if we're at 5-5, especially when Philly's almost guaranteed a 6-4 next few weeks since they play Cincy in Week 11.

Beating Washington would be a big boost, but it's not a death knell if we lose -- unless that somehow results in a loser mentality that affects the rest of the season.

As far as Philadelphia goes, we just need them to lose as many of their next seven games as we lose in our next six. If we go 4-2, which seems quite realistic, we'd need them to go 5-2 or worse. And they have a tough schedule (including the Giants twice, at Washington, at Baltimore, plus Arizona at home). I don't see them going 6-1 or 7-0 during those games. If they lose to the Giants next week, we could lose one more than they do before we meet in Week 17. Those scenarios would leave us just needing to beat Philadelphia in Week 17 to finish ahead of them in the division.

Nors

Benched
Reaction score
Good News is Roy Williams has not missed a deep coverage responsibility in weeks. A loss to Washington is no biggie?

Adam - stick to Cap talk.

BigR

Reaction score
the Commanders game is the biggest of the season imo

will be at full strength, and need to make a statement that the team will be ready to make a 2nd half run

a win and dallas can still afford losses at philly and pittsburgh

a loss and dallas will have to win 2 of 3 games (at philly, at pittsburgh and home to the giants)

a loss and we are in deep, deep trouble

AKATheRake

Reaction score
numnuts23;2398826 said:

Thank you very much! This point is so under utilized with these guys. We need to learn to bust our asss' on the field no matter who we play because right now, especially after last nights game, we look like we couldn't beat the local community center's pickup/recreational team.

AKATheRake

Reaction score
AdamJT13;2398848 said:
I'm not sure what you mean by saying ours was worse, but I don't really see how it was worse. We lost by 21 on the road against a 6-1 team, when we were playing without our starting QB. The Commanders, with their starting QB, lost by 17 at home against a 5-2 team.

Beating Washington would be a big boost, but it's not a death knell if we lose -- unless that somehow results in a loser mentality that affects the rest of the season.

As far as Philadelphia goes, we just need them to lose as many of their next seven games as we lose in our next six. If we go 4-2, which seems quite realistic, we'd need them to go 5-2 or worse. And they have a tough schedule (including the Giants twice, at Washington, at Baltimore, plus Arizona at home). I don't see them going 6-1 or 7-0 during those games. If they lose to the Giants next week, we could lose one more than they do before we meet in Week 17. Those scenarios would leave us just needing to beat Philadelphia in Week 17 to finish ahead of them in the division.

Wow, so in your opinion going 5-5 if we lose to Washington and having to still face NY, Philly, Pittsburgh and Baltimore still with our history in December is no biggie?

You feel we could go 4-2 in the next 6 games, have Philly lose out, which they won't with their weak schedule coming and we would be in good shape to get into the playoffs?

I think we're forgetting about the rest of the conference here as you forget about Tampa (6-3), Carolina (6-2), Atlanta (5-3), New Orleans (4-4) Green Bay (4-4), Minnesota (4-4), Chicago (5-3), Philly and Arizona is a shoe in to win their division so that's 1 of the 4 division leader spots we don't have a shot at.

We lose this game to Washington and we better go 5-1 which won't happen. We lose against the Skins and I don't care how bad San Fran and Seattle are, this team tanks and has no confidence and might not go 7-5 after that.

When are we going to get a sense of urgency out of this team to start going into games and just outright outwill our opponents because we want the win more? It better start our next game and us fans have to let them hear it!

This "it won't be that big of a deal" approach isn't going to cut it and I see it both in our fans and our team. Please, lets wake up, time is running out. Every game from here on out is ride or die. That's the mentality we need. 3 months of passionate, hungry football.

AdamJT13

Salary Cap Analyst
Reaction score
AKATheRake;2398907 said:
Wow, so in your opinion going 5-5 if we lose to Washington and having to still face NY, Philly, Pittsburgh and Baltimore still with our history in December is no biggie?

It's still doable, if we play like we should -- or even like we did most of the time before Romo gut hurt, and we hardly were at our best then. We still wouldn't have to win out or anything, and we wouldn't need a bunch of help.

You feel we could go 4-2 in the next 6 games, have Philly lose out, which they won't with their weak schedule coming and we would be in good shape to get into the playoffs?

Did you read what I wrote? We wouldn't need Philly to lose out, or anything close to that. If we go 4-2, we'd just need the Eagles to go 5-2. They still play the Giants twice -- do you think they'll sweep the Giants? Will they win at Washington (whom they couldn't beat in Philadelphia)? Will they win at Baltimore AND against Arizona, two 5-3 teams like they are?

I think we're forgetting about the rest of the conference here as you forget about Tampa (6-3), Carolina (6-2), Atlanta (5-3), New Orleans (4-4) Green Bay (4-4), Minnesota (4-4), Chicago (5-3), Philly and Arizona is a shoe in to win their division so that's 1 of the 4 division leader spots we don't have a shot at.

Huh? How would we have a shot at any of the other three division leader spots? We don't play in the other divisions.

And I haven't forgotten about any other teams. I've already run through the scenarios with the remaining schedules of every other NFC team in contention (which is all but 0-8 Detroit and the three 2-6 teams in the West), and so many of them play each other that they can't all go 6-2 in the second half of the season. Plus, we have the tiebreakers over the current second-place teams in the North (Green Bay) and South (Tampa Bay). They can't afford to finish 10-6 and expect to get in on tiebreakers -- and for Green Bay, that means they'd have to go 7-1 the rest of the way.

We lose this game to Washington and we better go 5-1 which won't happen.

That's the loser mentality I was talking about.

Billy Bullocks

Reaction score
I said before the Skins Steelers game Pittsburgh matches up extremely well against Washington. You have a team that loves to run the ball, and a team that is extremely good defensively.

Portis was held to 51 yards today. The Skins go as he goes.

In regards to our matchup:
If the 'Boys are not up for this one, they obviously do not deserve to go anywhere this season. It's really a must win for both teams.

Nothing about our play this season has shown that we are up for a physical game like this.

BUT, with Romo and many other key players returning, we might finally play up to our potential.

The defense has been good the last 2 weeks. If they can elevate their game, I think they can shut down the Skins.

We have to stop Portis. I think it's well possible we do this because our offense might actually give our D a rest in this game.

AKATheRake

Reaction score
AdamJT13;2398926 said:
It's still doable, if we play like we should -- or even like we did most of the time before Romo gut hurt, and we hardly were at our best then. We still wouldn't have to win out or anything, and we wouldn't need a bunch of help.

Did you read what I wrote? We wouldn't need Philly to lose out, or anything close to that. If we go 4-2, we'd just need the Eagles to go 5-2. They still play the Giants twice -- do you think they'll sweep the Giants? Will they win at Washington (whom they couldn't beat in Philadelphia)? Will they win at Baltimore AND against Arizona, two 5-3 teams like they are?

Huh? How would we have a shot at any of the other three division leader spots? We don't play in the other divisions.

And I haven't forgotten about any other teams. I've already run through the scenarios with the remaining schedules of every other NFC team in contention (which is all but 0-8 Detroit and the three 2-6 teams in the West), and so many of them play each other that they can't all go 6-2 in the second half of the season. Plus, we have the tiebreakers over the current second-place teams in the North (Green Bay) and South (Tampa Bay). They can't afford to finish 10-6 and expect to get in on tiebreakers -- and for Green Bay, that means they'd have to go 7-1 the rest of the way.

That's the loser mentality I was talking about.

Everything is doable Adam, of course there is technically time and an opportunity but that window starts closing against Washington. In regards to a loser mentality, I think this we can lose next week approach is the absolute loser mentality.

We lose in Washington and we are 1-4 in our last 5 games with 6 to go and no more scape goat theories. With this coaching staff, please explain to me who will pick these players out of the dumps to turn this thing around if we incur another loss next game?

Lets not forget either, that means the skins sweep us and our NFC record is also in the dumps in case we need to win a tie breaker.

I hope you're right and I'm wrong Adam, but if we don't win this game after having 2 weeks to clean our heads up, find our approach that will give us a new identity as a team and give these guys a winning swagger I'm afraid these guys will tank.

I believe we are going to beat the skins and we are going to make a run because Romo and Felix will ignite this offense and we're going to get some much needed leadership back in that secondary with Newman. But so help me god, we lose this game and these guys won't have an answer to turn it around. Now is the time for them to prove to themselves they are ready to make a playoff run. Not 3 weeks from now. They can go 5-2 in these next 7 and they are good. But 5-2 needs to start against Washington, we need to put 3 wins in a row together which is very possible. That's a winners mentality. We haven't done that since the start of the season.

Billy Bullocks

Reaction score
AKATheRake;2398936 said:
Everything is doable Adam, of course there is technically time and an opportunity but that window starts closing against Washington. In regards to a loser mentality, I think this we can lose next week approach is the absolute loser mentality.

We lose in Washington and we are 1-4 in our last 5 games with 6 to go and no more scape goat theories. With this coaching staff, please explain to me who will pick these players out of the dumps to turn this thing around if we incur another loss next game?

Lets not forget either, that means the skins sweep us and our NFC record is also in the dumps in case we need to win a tie breaker.

I hope you're right and I'm wrong Adam, but if we don't win this game after having 2 weeks to clean our heads up, find our approach that will give us a new identity as a team and give these guys a winning swagger I'm afraid these guys will tank.

I believe we are going to beat the skins and we are going to make a run because Romo and Felix will ignite this offense and we're going to get some much needed leadership back in that secondary with Newman. But so help me god, we lose this game and these guys won't have an answer to turn it around. Now is the time for them to prove to themselves they are ready to make a playoff run. Not 3 weeks from now. They can go 5-2 in these next 7 and they are good. But 5-2 needs to start against Washington, we need to put 3 wins in a row together which is very possible. That's a winners mentality. We haven't done that since the start of the season.

Just for the psychological reason alone we need to win this game. I agree. If we lose to Washington, I doubt we will go 5-1.

A win in DC is the jumpstart this team needs.