The Cowboys’ 21st century at a glance

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by Bobhaze, Nov 27, 2020.

1. Bobhaze

Bobhaze Moderator

7,768 Messages
    24,121 Likes Received
    Barry was living off of Jimmy’s talent. When you see Troy Aikman’s “A Football Life”, it’s pretty clearBarry was just drawing a paycheck, and the team’s culture had begun to slide. Switzer was a great college coach and recruiter but by the time he took over in Dallas, I think he was just drawing a check.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2020
    MetalMike and Bullflop like this.
  2. MetalMike

MetalMike Active Member

103 Messages
    97 Likes Received
    I lived in Eastern KY in the early 70's with my mother and new step-father. My father had recently (at the time) been transferred to Dallas. All of a sudden in early 1970 (or sometime around then) I began to receive Bob Lilly's Cowboy Report in the mail. I was amazed. I showed it to all my friends and even though they hated the Cowboys they loved it too. It was like I had an inside look into all the do's and don't's of the NFL. I got to see the making of the Doomsday Defense firsthand! With no internet and only a smattering of TV coverage I had the inside info into the Cowboys and the rest of the NFL and all my friends couldn't wait to read it when it came. My Dad sowed the seeds of my growth as a Cowboy fan. He always liked them when we were still a family in Memphis. He got to live his dream when he was transferred to Dallas (he worked for Columbia Pictures at the time and had his choice of Dallas or San Francisco). I can't ever imagine myself as a 49er fan so I'm glad he chose Dallas.

Yes, that era as a Cowboys fan, spoiled me too. On Sunday mornings I couldn't wait for This Week In Pro Football with Tom Brookshier and Pat Summerall to come on and show the highlights of last weeks games (remember all those great plays set to that intense music?). Then, you had to wait through a plethora of Sunday morning religious rantings and ravings shows until it came on. I couldn't wait until they showed the Cowboys (usually destroying their opponent) highlights. Man, that's unforgetable.

3. MetalMike

MetalMike Active Member

103 Messages
    97 Likes Received
    I did say "could've" not would've.

But, we did finally beat Pittsburgh with Barry. Jimmie's boys or not.

4. JoeKing

JoeKing Diehard Zone Supporter

22,802 Messages
    19,479 Likes Received
    [​IMG]

Here is the perspective we should be considering. Football is just a game played on a blue marble that we all share floating in space.

5. john van brocklin

john van brocklin Captain Comeback

8,263 Messages
    4,883 Likes Received
    Jerry is a great owner
    GM, not so much

6. dckid

dckid Well-Known Member

1,784 Messages
    1,503 Likes Received
    Don’t count the 1994& 1995 teams under Jerry

7. john van brocklin

john van brocklin Captain Comeback

8,263 Messages
    4,883 Likes Received
    Jerry is the only common denominator

8. dckid

dckid Well-Known Member

1,784 Messages
    1,503 Likes Received
    Jerry is a terrible owner. The owner is responsible for everything.
    If someone slips at your pool party they will sue you not the clown who spilled the drink that cause them to slip.

9. Redline360

Redline360 Well-Known Member

1,241 Messages
    1,632 Likes Received
    If it wasnt for Jimmy and before his ego got in the way Jerry would argurably be one of if not the worse franchise owners ever

He has coasted since the last superbowls