The Cowboys and Vikings are nearly identical at this point of the season

Ranched

"We Are Penn State"
Reaction score
3fulso.jpg
https://imgflip.com/memegenerator

ESisback

Reaction score
This game is as close to a "Regular Season/Playoff Game" that the Cowboys have played at the time of match-up:

1. The Records:
Cowboys 5-3 and the Vikings 6-3. Both teams are fighting for (or maintaining) 1st in their respective divisions.

2. A look at Common Opponents and how each team fared:
  • Commanders: Cowboys won by 10 : Vikings Won by 10
  • Eagles: Cowboys won by 17 : Vikings won by 18
  • Giants: Cowboys won by 18 and 19 (2 games) : Vikings won by 18
  • Packers: Cowboys lost by 10 : Vikings lost by 5
3. Cowboys and Vikings combined records of teams they LOST to:
  • Cowboys lost to: Packers (7-2); Saints (7-1); Jets (1-7): Combined opponent record: 15-10
  • Vikings lost to: Packers (7-2); Chiefs (6-3); Bears (3-5): Combined opponent record 16-10
The efficiency ratings that I posted here: https://cowboyszone.com/threads/vikings-at-cowboys-aikman-efficiency-ratings.444787/ have the Cowboys Rated 3 overall and the Vikings at 4 overall in efficiency.
  • Now we just need the Cowboys to be "consistently efficient" in all 3 phases of the game.
Everyone keeps looking ahead to the Patriots in the AFC. We'll cross that bridge when we get there. But this is an NFC game that has higher Playoff and Divisional stakes.

The above are the stats. What are you looking to see from the Cowboys? Individual match-ups etc?

I've been waiting for this game. I want to see what this team is made of. Go Cowboys!

nice post, good stats! If we’re that close, the Vikings win, advantage being coaching. Strategically, I’d take Zimmer over Garrett.

In fantasyland, I’d take Payton as HC and Zimmer as DC.

robjay04

Reaction score
Oh Lord hope not. Hope we just on them right from the start. Do not let it come down to coaching.

Zimmer’s record against playoff teams is worse than Garrett and his only playoff win was because of an absolute fluke play.

Zimmer is the most overrated coach on this board.

ConstantReboot

Reaction score
Zimmer’s record against playoff teams is worse than Garrett and his only playoff win was because of an absolute fluke play.

Zimmer is the most overrated coach on this board.

Zimmer is not overrated. He took that dumpster of a team and turned it around in 4 years starting as a coach.

While Garrett inherited a good team and turned it into a mediocre team. Garrett has the more talented team by far. Its Garrett who is overrated, not Zimmer.

TheSkaven

Last Man Standing
Reaction score
Losing Thielen is going to hurt Cousins a lot, which means we can key in on Dalvin Cook. I see this as a predominantly defensive struggle, but we have enough firepower to still score consistently.

I agree with posters that this could come to coaching, but you’re right that injuries are big in this game. It’s not just Thielen, who is far and away their best receiver, but their DT Joseph. It’d be like going into the game without Cooper and Maliek Collins.

Let’s not forget that this is a home game for the boys as well.

They should win, but these types of games often come down to a big special teams play, a fluke turnover or (please no) a bad call.

StarBoyz83

Reaction score
The buildup to this game has been exciting. Too bad we're going to blow them out...or at least we should.

I havent seem anything from the cowboys that suggests theyll blow out any team we play left except the skins.

MysteryIceGuro

Reaction score
Can’t be true. @AmariChill says the Vikings dominated!

These stats mean nothing when you look beneath the true surface. Dallas struggled in the first half of all of their games but the Eagles game. Vikes never succumbed to that level.

Vikings have also played tougher competition overall. Raiders and Lions are teams we have yet to meet. They dominated in those games. The only competition that we have played are the Saints and Packers games and we blew those.

robjay04

Reaction score
Zimmer is not overrated. He took that dumpster of a team and turned it around in 4 years starting as a coach.

While Garrett inherited a good team and turned it into a mediocre team. Garrett has the more talented team by far. Its Garrett who is overrated, not Zimmer.

As I said

Worse record against winning teams as a head coach than Garrett..actually he’s near the bottom of the league. He’s 15-29 against winning teams.

His only playoff win was a pure luck play in a game the Vikings were favored.

I’m not saying he’s “bad” but definitely overrated on this board. If Zimmer was the coach here and those were his accolades after 6 seasons, we would be attempting to run him out of town just like we have been Garrett.

I’m not saying Garrett is some coaching god either but acting like Zimmer is going to come in here and just coach him under the table isn’t based on reality.

And also..your last paragraph is just false. Garrett inherited a salary cap challenged, old team that he almost had to entirely rebuild. Teams have rebuilt a team quicker though. Cowboys also don’t have the more talented team “by far” than the Vikings right now..Vikings are a damn talented team. I’m not sure where you’re pulling that from. Also who overrates Garrett exactly?

I think they’re both average head coaches. Garrett would be a better front office guy than a coach while Zimmer would be a better coordinator that a coach.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
Oh come on. Zimmer won two division titles in his first four years and made an NFC Championship game with superspare Case Keenun at QB. He's never had a QB as good as what Garrett has had... unless you really think a lot of Cousins, which pretty much no one does.