1. Read the latest Dallas Cowboys news ..

The Cowboys are 3 players away

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by Pessimist_cowboy, Jun 25, 2020.

1. TexasHillbilly

TexasHillbilly Well-Known Member

1,960 Messages
    1,647 Likes Received
    I think a lot of teams are just a few players away from contending with the exception of the Browns. They stocked up and still couldn't get it done.

I think we are/were one coach away and hopefully we just hired "the guy".

Techsass likes this.
  2. rocyaice

rocyaice Well-Known Member

35,174 Messages
    28,401 Likes Received
    I agree. This is not how you effectively run a roster. Its just compiling names.

3. Cowboysheelsreds053

Cowboysheelsreds053 Well-Known Member

9,718 Messages
    6,859 Likes Received
    As the Tuna use to say, "you can't have filet at every position".

dallasdave, hittheskids and rocyaice like this.
  4. rocyaice

rocyaice Well-Known Member

35,174 Messages
    28,401 Likes Received
    Browns are a good example though. Roster-wise they are probably top 10 in the league. They have as much talent as anyone. But no-one is "one player away".

Rams thought they were a Jaylon Ramsey away and missed out on the playoffs and ruining their team.

5. hittheskids

hittheskids Well-Known Member

634 Messages
    1,122 Likes Received
    We have plenty of talent. Hopefully, MM can pull it together.

Cowboysheelsreds053 and rocyaice like this.
  6. 75boyz

75boyz Well-Known Member

1,669 Messages
    1,477 Likes Received
    I can't keep up. Especially around here. It was Gailey, Campo, Parcells, Ryan, Kiffin, Callahan, Linehan, Marinelli/Richard and finally 2016 Coach of the Year Garrett's fault.

And then a HOF QB was drafted in the 4th rd and progressed for 4 years since being drafted along with his HOF RB drafted in the same year...

A top 3 to 5 o line
    Top 5 trio of starting WRs

A "supposed" War Daddy at defensive end

A recent ranking of #6 by PFF of overall team roster talent

So in TODAYS never ending version of Dallas Cowboy scapegoating who gets the hot potato blame?

Coach or player?

But just as long as it's not the owner or this unbelievable current All World QB receiving the blame for any lack of team success I'll know this place continues to operate at its well established double standard.

It is like my good book left out that 11th commandment. Thou Shalt not Blame Jerry or Dak.

It's been a pretty standard and mediocre way of doing business for a quarter century.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2020
    NotForLong and Idgit like this.
  7. daboyzruleperiod

daboyzruleperiod ♡☆

23,212 Messages
    56,874 Likes Received
  8. QuincyCarterEra

QuincyCarterEra Well-Known Member

10,337 Messages
    9,691 Likes Received
    The Super Bowl last season featured the two best TE's in all of football.

I'm not exactly disagreeing, just pointing it out. TE's for me are a market arbitrage point. You can get excellent value out of TE's because the market hasn't caught up with their impact. For example Kittle is about to get paid less than Amari Cooper, despite being the better player and have more impact on the game.

9. cowboygo

cowboygo Well-Known Member

615 Messages
    807 Likes Received
    Who would you blame before 2016? Only Jerry?

75boyz likes this.
  10. 75boyz

75boyz Well-Known Member

1,669 Messages
    1,477 Likes Received
    Hmmmm...
    Lemme think.
    Jerry is the one common denominator but...
    Before 2016 it had to be all Romo's fault...
    Yeah, Romo.

11. jazzcat22

jazzcat22 Well-Known Member

44,094 Messages
    46,108 Likes Received
    No, only 7 months away from now. :D

rocyaice likes this.
  12. jazzcat22

jazzcat22 Well-Known Member

44,094 Messages
    46,108 Likes Received
    RDE is up in the air. But they thing is, there will not be enough snaps for Clowney / Gregory / Smith. Not for the price Clowney will want. But goods idea.
    Adams would be a great addition, but at what price. I still say anything involving a #1 pick is too high, but that is just me. And you have to redo his deal, or he will be here only for a year. Others have their opinions and reasons, and I can understand that.
    The TE's, yes need to see how that works out. I think they will be better the many thinks, but will they be as good as we all hope.

13. Idgit

Idgit Fattening up Moderator

58,345 Messages
    59,637 Likes Received
    Exactly. Although, as soon as Dak signs his huge deal, he’ll start getting the blame for real. Until the McCarthy honeymoon ends, and then it will be the coach again getting most of the blame, and it’ll be MM who wasted Dak’s prime seasons. And then we’ll get a new HC or a new QB and things will be great...for a few weeks.

ElGatoGrande and 75boyz like this.
  14. ElGatoGrande

ElGatoGrande EGG

7,943 Messages
    4,733 Likes Received
    Now that Garrett has been run out of town it's time to start hedging,,,

TwistedL0g1k, 75boyz and Idgit like this.
  15. Idgit

Idgit Fattening up Moderator

58,345 Messages
    59,637 Likes Received
    Like clockwork.

75boyz likes this.
  16. Aviano90

Aviano90 Go Seahawks!!!

10,905 Messages
    15,615 Likes Received
    Yes, Romo was blamed, just as Dak is now. Do you seriously think Dak isn't blamed?

QuincyCarterEra and 75boyz like this.
  17. 75boyz

75boyz Well-Known Member

1,669 Messages
    1,477 Likes Received
    I do and rightfully so.

My longstanding opinion of NFL team success is based on optimum job performance by the HC, starting QB and GM.

If one of the 3 are poor at their jobs I believe it will be quite challenging to achieve Super Bowl wins.

If 2 or more are poor at their jobs, even more so and in the recent case of this team all 3...

Impossible to win that way in my view.

Just my take though.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2020
    Aviano90 likes this.
  18. conner01

conner01 Well-Known Member

15,478 Messages
    13,019 Likes Received
    The rams bought a heck of a roster
    Didn’t get them a ring but it did create future problems
    I don’t know if 3 players make us a SB team but I do know trading young proven players and picks for a safety you then have to pay is not a good idea
    Talent can always be improved but the real key is get the most out of the talent you have
    Parcells took a very poorly talented team to the playoffs
    This team is much more talented

ghst187, Kaiser and PJTHEDOORS like this.
  19. Endzoneview

Endzoneview Member

52 Messages
    47 Likes Received
    We don't have enough skins on the wall to think this way, that was the problem with last years team coming form different players that came through the last 2 years- reports about the players coming in were amazed at the arrogance the last staff had about the philosophy of the coaching staff , the staff came off to these players of talking and acting like they won the 5 Super Bowls when we haven't done diddly squat up to now. Let's see what we have before we tout we are one player away. The whole team's attitude HAS TO CHANGE and buy into Big Mike's philosophy. Thinking we were one to two players away has caused us nothing but issues so far.

Techsass likes this.
  20. QuincyCarterEra

QuincyCarterEra Well-Known Member

10,337 Messages
    9,691 Likes Received
    We haven't had poor performance at all three in positions in so long, outside of maybe 2015. We've been spoiled from that aspect.

75boyz likes this.