The Cowboys are 3 players away

TexasHillbilly

Reaction score
I think a lot of teams are just a few players away from contending with the exception of the Browns. They stocked up and still couldn't get it done.

I think we are/were one coach away and hopefully we just hired "the guy".

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Exactly. I prefer all-in types of moves in-season when we know we have a badass roster, and have the wins to back it up. Trade for a disgruntled player on another team to supplement a star-studded team and make that playoff push. In the mean-time. Build the roster to contend for multiple years.
I agree. This is not how you effectively run a roster. Its just compiling names.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
I think a lot of teams are just a few players away from contending with the exception of the Browns. They stocked up and still couldn't get it done.

I think we are/were one coach away and hopefully we just hired "the guy".
Browns are a good example though. Roster-wise they are probably top 10 in the league. They have as much talent as anyone. But no-one is "one player away".

Rams thought they were a Jaylon Ramsey away and missed out on the playoffs and ruining their team.

75boyz

Reaction score
We were just a coach away. And then we got the coach. When did the talent backslide so much?

I can't keep up. Especially around here. It was Gailey, Campo, Parcells, Ryan, Kiffin, Callahan, Linehan, Marinelli/Richard and finally 2016 Coach of the Year Garrett's fault.

And then a HOF QB was drafted in the 4th rd and progressed for 4 years since being drafted along with his HOF RB drafted in the same year...

A top 3 to 5 o line
Top 5 trio of starting WRs

A "supposed" War Daddy at defensive end

A recent ranking of #6 by PFF of overall team roster talent

So in TODAYS never ending version of Dallas Cowboy scapegoating who gets the hot potato blame?

Coach or player?

But just as long as it's not the owner or this unbelievable current All World QB receiving the blame for any lack of team success I'll know this place continues to operate at its well established double standard.

It is like my good book left out that 11th commandment. Thou Shalt not Blame Jerry or Dak.

It's been a pretty standard and mediocre way of doing business for a quarter century.

Last edited:

Ranched

"We Are Penn State"
Reaction score
46evqp.gif

QuincyCarterEra

Reaction score
I don't think tight ends are particularly important. You can get to a Super Bowl with a perfectly average TE.
The Super Bowl last season featured the two best TE's in all of football.

I'm not exactly disagreeing, just pointing it out. TE's for me are a market arbitrage point. You can get excellent value out of TE's because the market hasn't caught up with their impact. For example Kittle is about to get paid less than Amari Cooper, despite being the better player and have more impact on the game.

cowboygo

Reaction score
I can't keep up. Especially around here. It was Gailey, Campo, Parcells, Ryan, Kiffin, Callahan, Linehan, Marinelli/Richard and finally 2016 Coach of the Year Garrett's fault.

And then a HOF QB was drafted in the 4th rd and progressed for 4 years since being drafted along with his HOF RB drafted in the same year...

A top 3 to 5 o line

So in TODAYS never ending version of Dallas Cowboy scapegoating who gets the hot potato blame?

Coach or player?

But just as long as it's not the owner or this unbelievable current All World QB receiving the blame for any lack of team success I'll know this place continues to operate at its well established double standard.

It is like my good book left out that 11th commandment. Thou Shalt not Blame Jerry or Dak.

It's been a pretty standard and mediocre way of doing business for a quarter century.
Who would you blame before 2016? Only Jerry?

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
And two are available right now. Clowney and Jamal Adams would really raise the talent on defense. Clowney , Aldon Smith, and Gregory would be a great rotation at RDE and Lawrence, Crawford, and Armstrong would be solid at LDE. I’ve felt that the back end of our defense has missed an alpha for the last couple seasons. And getting Jamal Adams would be that missing guy. He’s an excellent leader on the field , and raises the play of other around him. He’s excellent In Run support.

The only question I’d have is TE. Yes jarwin has some good potential but he’s a questionable blocker at best. If you look at the top 3 teams in the league last season they had the best TE play. KC, SF, and Baltimore were stacked and talented at TE. Their TE’s are also excellent blockers. When I studied their run game, I noticed that their TE’s were so good they were able to take on DE’s leaving extra OL to get to the 2nd level. This has been a big problem for Dallas since letting Swaim go and Hannah retiring. They were excellent 2nd level blockers! Maybe Blake Bell helps in that area ?!

if they got Clowney , Adams, and Bell/jarwin step it up, there’s no question in my mind the Cowboys would go to the Super Bowl this season.

RDE is up in the air. But they thing is, there will not be enough snaps for Clowney / Gregory / Smith. Not for the price Clowney will want. But goods idea.
Adams would be a great addition, but at what price. I still say anything involving a #1 pick is too high, but that is just me. And you have to redo his deal, or he will be here only for a year. Others have their opinions and reasons, and I can understand that.
The TE's, yes need to see how that works out. I think they will be better the many thinks, but will they be as good as we all hope.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

A top 3 to 5 o line

Coach or player?

Exactly. Although, as soon as Dak signs his huge deal, he’ll start getting the blame for real. Until the McCarthy honeymoon ends, and then it will be the coach again getting most of the blame, and it’ll be MM who wasted Dak’s prime seasons. And then we’ll get a new HC or a new QB and things will be great...for a few weeks.

75boyz

Reaction score
Yes, Romo was blamed, just as Dak is now. Do you seriously think Dak isn't blamed?

I do and rightfully so.

My longstanding opinion of NFL team success is based on optimum job performance by the HC, starting QB and GM.

If one of the 3 are poor at their jobs I believe it will be quite challenging to achieve Super Bowl wins.

If 2 or more are poor at their jobs, even more so and in the recent case of this team all 3...

Impossible to win that way in my view.

Just my take though.

Last edited:

conner01

Reaction score
It’s not players, it was coaching all along...
BP took a Troy Hambrick and Quincy Carter team to the playoffs....
JG could barely make the playoffs with 10+ probowlers
The rams bought a heck of a roster
Didn’t get them a ring but it did create future problems
I don’t know if 3 players make us a SB team but I do know trading young proven players and picks for a safety you then have to pay is not a good idea
Talent can always be improved but the real key is get the most out of the talent you have
Parcells took a very poorly talented team to the playoffs
This team is much more talented

Endzoneview

Reaction score
We don't have enough skins on the wall to think this way, that was the problem with last years team coming form different players that came through the last 2 years- reports about the players coming in were amazed at the arrogance the last staff had about the philosophy of the coaching staff , the staff came off to these players of talking and acting like they won the 5 Super Bowls when we haven't done diddly squat up to now. Let's see what we have before we tout we are one player away. The whole team's attitude HAS TO CHANGE and buy into Big Mike's philosophy. Thinking we were one to two players away has caused us nothing but issues so far.

QuincyCarterEra

Reaction score
I do and rightfully so.

My longstanding opinion of NFL team success is based on optimum job performance by the HC, starting QB and GM.

If one of the 3 are poor at their jobs I believe it will be quite challenging to achieve Super Bowl wins.

If 2 or more are poor at their jobs, even more so and in the recent case of this team all 3...

Impossible to win that way in my view.

Just my take though.

We haven't had poor performance at all three in positions in so long, outside of maybe 2015. We've been spoiled from that aspect.