The cowboys are poorly coached; however...

ScipioCowboy

More than meets the eye.
Reaction score
The point is almost undeniable. The Cowboys have all the earmarks of a poorly coached team: poor execution, excessive penalties, lack of discipline, crucial mistakes, etc.

However, would firing our coaches--any of them, even Bruce Reed--really lead to improvement?

The Cowboys have been seeped in mediocrity for the better part of a decade, and through that ten year span, they've changed players, coaches, assistants, schemes, and philosophies on several different occasions. Yet, here we are, still mired in disappointment and unfulfilled expectations.

In fact, throughout this decade-long playoff drought, there's only been one constant on this team:

Jerry Jones.

sacase

Reaction score
Ok and jones was apart of the team when it was winning superbowls, what's your point. We need a coach with fire.

windward

NFL Historian
Reaction score
Mid season firing?

No it's too late in the game for any meaningful change there.

Now if we got a guy like Cowher in the offseason who knows?

Cajuncowboy

Preacher From The Black Lagoon
Reaction score
ScipioCowboy;2330871 said:
The point is almost undeniable. The Cowboys have all the earmarks of a poorly coached team: poor execution, excessive penalties, lack of discipline, crucial mistakes, etc.

However, would firing our coaches--any of them, even Bruce Reed--really lead to improvement?

The Cowboys have been seeped in mediocrity for the better part of a decade, and through that ten year span, they've changed players, coaches, assistants, schemes, and philosophies on several different occasions. Yet, here we are, still mired in disappointment and unfulfilled expectations.

In fact, throughout this decade-long playoff drought, there's only been one constant on this team:

Jerry Jones.

I think you answered your own question.

NextGenBoys

Reaction score
Settle down and think levelheaded.

We're 4-2. We will make the playoffs. The playoffs are what matters.

It's hard to do sometimes, but try to keep it in perspective

ScipioCowboy

More than meets the eye.
Reaction score
sacase;2330883 said:
Ok and jones was apart of the team when it was winning superbowls, what's your point. We need a coach with fire.

My point is simply this: Every two or three year we're clamoring for a new coach. Someone with more fire! Someone with less fire! Someone who's not so dictatorial! Someone who's not a yes-man! Someone who's more laid back!

Maybe, just maybe, our problems run deeper than that.

gbrittain

Reaction score
ScipioCowboy;2330943 said:
My point is simply this: Every two or three year we're clamoring for a new coach. Someone with more fire! Someone with less fire! Someone who's not so dictatorial! Someone who's not a yes-man! Someone who's more laid back!

That is a very good possibility, but you can't fire all your players. So...

ScipioCowboy

More than meets the eye.
Reaction score
NextGenBoys;2330934 said:
Settle down and think levelheaded.

We're 4-2. We will make the playoffs. The playoffs are what matters.

It's hard to do sometimes, but try to keep it in perspective

I am being levelheaded.

I'm not a Negative Nancy or a Sunshine Pumping Sally.

But I can't deny that this team seems to be regressing, yet again.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
At this point, no.

Let's see what happens in January. That is a long ways off.

ScipioCowboy

More than meets the eye.
Reaction score
gbrittain;2330976 said:
That is a very good possibility, but you can't fire all your players. So...

No. You can't. Much you make major alteration to your coaching staff at this point.

I'm merely trying to pinpoint a problem.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
maybe it's the drafting philosophy

maybe too much emphasis is put on lunch-pale, workmanlike players

not players who push others

idk, I'm just trying to come to grips w/ why so much talent is being lain to waste

Kangaroo

Reaction score
ScipioCowboy;2330943 said:

Wait my question here is yes we have a new Head Coach what if you thought it was a stupid hire and so far it has proven to be what I expected from the new Head Coach.

So am i calling for a new headcoach really anything new when i hated the hire in the 1st place

FLcowboy

When Jerry, when?
Reaction score

Jerry Jones.[/quote

:laugh2:

Yeah, and three rings before that, so let's not forget his TOTAL record. And, it is unmatched by his predecessors.

renny

Reaction score
you are so right on, just about to post about poor coaching contributes to all
the problems.

visionary

Reaction score
there are multiple problems with this team, however here are the main ones:

1. this team lacks DISCIPLINE. they are a reflection of their coach. no accountability.

2. the QB, good as he is, is not a leader. he is just another player, he does not stand out. he makes statements like "if this is the worst that happens to me in life I will have been very lucky" and we as fans cheer him for this. He does not learn from the past and correct his mistakes. the o-line, great defensive play, etc etc there is always a reason but romo has turned the ball over 9 straight games. that is unbelievable.

3. this team is not tough, they are not smash mouth. the reason we run the asinine draw run every single drive is because despite having the biggest OL in the league and a so called tough guy RB (Barber) we cant line up and run the ball.

4. the power in the organization runs through the owner and not the coach. show me a successful team in the nfl where the coach was a figure head. it does not work.

5. feeling of entitlement in the players and "oh well" "we played tough" "there is another game next sunday"

multiple other problems such as vanilla defensive schemes, small NT so other teams can run on us etc but the 5 above relate to team culture and unless corrected we will be lucky to win in the playoffs.

there is a reason that less talented teams such as NY and Skins can line up and beat us. on paper we are the most talented team in the nfl and that is what makes this so frustrating.

ScipioCowboy

More than meets the eye.
Reaction score
Bob Sacamano;2331011 said:
maybe it's the drafting philosophy

maybe too much emphasis is put on lunch-pale, workmanlike players

not players who push others

idk, I'm just trying to come to grips w/ why so much talent is being lain to waste

Another question: Are the Cowboys really as talented as we think they are?

In both losses, it seems that Dallas has simply been beaten by the better team.

ScipioCowboy

More than meets the eye.
Reaction score
FLcowboy;2331030 said:

Yeah, and three rings before that, so let's not forget his TOTAL record. And, it is unmatched by his predecessors.

Unquestionably, Jerry deserves much credit for those rings. However, since Jimmy left, Jerry has demonstrated absolutely no ability to assemble a team that is, at the very least, comparable to the Cowboys teams of the mid-90s.

gbrittain

Reaction score
ScipioCowboy;2330997 said:
No. You can't. Much you make major alteration to your coaching staff at this point.

I'm merely trying to pinpoint a problem.

Oh I hear you. It is just very frustrating to know what kind of team we are right now.

I wished I knew the answer. I would fire the teams coach (I refuse to put special in front of teams:) ) today.

Teams have been bad for two years now. We saw the problem in pre-season and we continue to see it now. I see no harm in firing him now knowing their is an outside chance they could get better. Certainly can not get much worse.

windward

NFL Historian
Reaction score
ScipioCowboy;2331053 said:
Another question: Are the Cowboys really as talented as we think they are?

In both losses, it seems that Dallas has simply been beaten by the better team.
This one feels a bit different than the Washington game.

ST miscues put 13 points on the board for the Cardinals and took 3 from us. If we just play decent ST we win this game.

ScipioCowboy

More than meets the eye.
Reaction score
windward;2331106 said:
This one feels a bit different than the Washington game.

ST miscues put 13 points on the board for the Cardinals and took 3 from us. If we just play decent ST we win this game.

Cody Rhodes wants to know: How does we fix specialty teams of the team? The house is start to get mad at the Cowboys, and pick another team.