The Cowboys are smart with Free Agency

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
I'm looking around for the trophies, but I dont see any.

GrippingVelvetyAndeancat-size_restricted.gif

Melonfeud

I Copy!,,, er,,,I guess,,,ah,,,maybe.
Reaction score
Durn Tootin' & have an extra Fig Newton

* FOOTBALL DaD
sez' to his #1 son ,as he callously ruffles up the lads hair,,,o_O

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I believe we should be more aggressive than we are in FA, but that primarily goes to being more aggressive after the first three days once the feeding frenzy subsides.

That said, I’d have made an exception this seasongiven that we need to improve and given that we have no first round pick. Not an Earl Thomas splurge, because he got too much money. But something like the Adrian Amos deal. Preston Smith is another player I’d have considered for what he got.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
Free agency is not over, and just because ET signed with the Ravens does not mean the market is dry at that position.
Here is a name to ponder...
Jordan Richards - Atl - 26yrs old - 2nd round pick, 64th over all, 2015 draft.

DasSchnitzel

Reaction score
I think the Dallas FO is very smart about FA, but not at all clever/creative.

Like in general, being frugal and using incentive deals and not getting into bidding wars, that's pretty smart and safe.

The problem in my mind is that they never get creative because they are so risk averse and dedicated to playing it smart/safe. Some team like Philly or LA or NE would have already resolved the DLaw situation one way or another.

Seems like a paralysis by analysis to me, being too smart for their own good.

Kolemmitt

Reaction score
Yes and no. Smart they don't overpay some FAs, but not so smart when a big upgrade could be signed, overpay or not. I would've much rather overpay for SS or a really good DT because those are positions of need. I wouldn't overpay for a FS, TE or RB because the upgrade wouldn't be significant enough.
Yep. That's what frustrates me. We went from the over-paying, free-spending team to the won't sign anybody that's not extremely cheap, team. It seems like there should be a middle path.

dsturgeon

Reaction score
Yes and no. Smart they don't overpay some FAs, but not so smart when a big upgrade could be signed, overpay or not. I would've much rather overpay for SS or a really good DT because those are positions of need. I wouldn't overpay for a FS, TE or RB because the upgrade wouldn't be significant enough.

Rod took over and we had the worst defense in the league. Every year people have cried about dt and safety, and every year they get better by huge strides. How are dt and safety a position of need by the reality of this defense.

I just don't get it. I am not against quality there, but why waste money in free agency.

lukin2006

Reaction score
This FO could not run a hotdog stand. We lose FA and never sign noteworthy free agents. Jones is ultimately responsible. It does not help when you got a staff that's just happy to be employed...

dsturgeon

Reaction score
This FO could not run a hotdog stand. We lose FA and never sign noteworthy free agents. Jones is ultimately responsible. It does not help when you got a staff that's just happy to be employed...

They have a bunch of their own rising stars to sign. What if it comes down to bringing in a high priced Free agent, and you can't sign jaylon.

Dwight

Reaction score
The notion of Dallas FO being smart is really not something to be optimistic about. There are no Super Bowls to support that theory.

This team doesn’t have a first rounder and need talent in free agency (draft too) in order for Jason Garrett to succeed.

Until this team wins a Super Bowl with this approach to free agency it will continue to be flawed and questionable.

rynochop

Reaction score
I don't there's ever been anyone they 'couldn't' sign..they were ready to move on from Ware and Murray.
And if Jones did pay Ware we would have heard the same ole Jones is too loyal, can't let go of old overpaid players schtick so many love to harp on. Which is a huge myth, case in point