The Cowboys go into simple Prevent defense mode every time

Blackspider214

Reaction score
To be aggressive on defense you gotta be able to hold point at DT (we can’t), Rush the passer (we can’t) and have a great centerfield safety (we don’t)

Hope that answers your question

That's because we go cheap and don't value the middle of the defense at all. Well at DT and safety that is.

StevenOtero

Reaction score
The 3 times the Skins were in long yardage due to a penalty.

1-20-WAS 34 (10:38) (Shotgun) C.Keenum pass short left to C.Thompson pushed ob at WAS 43 for 9 yards (B.Jones).
Series ends with a punt on 4th and 3.

1-20-DAL 38 (3:16) S.Sims left end pushed ob at DAL 34 for 4 yards (X.Woods). End around
The Skins get to 3rd & 8 and get the 1st down.

1-15-WAS 48 (11:05) (Shotgun) W.Smallwood left guard to DAL 48 for 4 yards (X.Woods; J.Smith).
Series ends with a punt on 4th and 24.
Now, don't bring facts into this discussion.

KMY_Amber

Reaction score

1-20-WAS 34 (10:38) (Shotgun) C.Keenum pass short left to C.Thompson pushed ob at WAS 43 for 9 yards (B.Jones).

1-20-DAL 38 (3:16) S.Sims left end pushed ob at DAL 34 for 4 yards (X.Woods). End around

1-15-WAS 48 (11:05) (Shotgun) W.Smallwood left guard to DAL 48 for 4 yards (X.Woods; J.Smith).

Against the hapless Skins offense, sure, this worked out. Against better offenses, they will convert these 1st and 20s or 2nd and 20s, when the Cowboys just willingly give up 10 to 15 yards on the next play.

KMY_Amber

Reaction score
I dont always agree with the style of play for this defense, but so far I cant argue the results.

The Giants and Skins offenses are pretty bad, so to me, the defense's results the last 2 games should have been better....though against the Skins, it was pretty good, until they simply backpedaled in the 4th quarter protecting the lead.

This Cowboys team will never score a shutout, they just don't have that mentality. That's just sad to me, that a defense will take the field, and this is never truly their goal. You know once the Cowboys are up by just 2 scores in the 4th quarter, the defense will go all soft and start "protecting the lead", they're never in "protect a shutout" mode. :mad:

Last edited:

Doomsday

Rising Star
Reaction score
To be aggressive on defense you gotta be able to hold point at DT (we can’t), Rush the passer (we can’t) and have a great centerfield safety (we don’t)

Then why hasn't the team looked to upgrade the DT or safety positions the last few seasons?

KMY_Amber

Reaction score
So far teams are 4 of 20 on 3rd down. Look if a team is sitting there with a 3rd and 15 or 3rd and 20 I don't give a damn if they throw a 10 yard pass and tackled leaving them with 4th down.

I'm not talking 3rd and long, because then I do better understand safe zone defenses (though I still think disguising coverages or faking a blitz is beneficial, just to get in the QBs head).

I'm talking 1st and 2nd and long...and then just backpedaling and giving up 10 easy yards with barely any resistance in the coverage scheme. It's maddening to me to just give up 10 easy yards on 1st and 20.

Someone changed the title of this thread, so now it seems like I'm frustrated with every instance of Prevent/BBDB.

Last edited:

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
Nobody I know of likes the "prevent" defense.

But statistically, it works far more often than it doesn't, mainly because teams usually don't go into it unless they have a big lead, or a small lead with very little time left on the clock.

When it works, nobody notices. When it doesn't, it's always "all prevent defense does is prevent you from losing".

If it didn't work more often than not, teams wouldn't do it, just like they don't go for it on 4th and 10 from their own 25, or such...

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
That's because we go cheap and don't value the middle of the defense at all. Well at DT and safety that is.
Thanks to terrible draft picks at DT and passing up on not 1, 2 but 3 draft available Safeties during the 2nd round who right now are grading out better than our current Safeties! Smh

glimmerman

Reaction score

But statistically, it works far more often than it doesn't, mainly because teams usually don't go into it unless they have a big lead, or a small lead with very little time left on the clock.

When it works, nobody notices. When it doesn't, it's always "all prevent defense does is prevent you from losing".

If it didn't work more often than not, teams wouldn't do it, just like they don't go for it on 4th and 10 from their own 25, or such...
I remember the packers playoff game it didnt work to good at the end.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
I'm not talking 3rd and long, because then I do better understand safe zone defenses (though I still think disguising coverages or faking a blitz is beneficial, just to get in the QBs head).

I'm talking 1st and 2nd and long...and then just backpedaling and giving up 10 easy yards with barely any resistance in the coverage scheme. It's maddening to me to just give up 10 easy yards on 1st and 20.

Someone changed the title of this thread, so now it seems like I'm frustrated with every instance of Prevent/BBDB.
Stinks.

KMY_Amber

Reaction score

Again, not an indictment of Prevent defense as a whole, more as a play call on 1st or 2nd and long, just giving up big chunks of free yards with little resistance, only to wind up in 3rd and "very manageable".

lopey

Reaction score
Once the opposing offense gets a penalty, I get really peeved at how the Cowboys go into simple Prevent defense mode every time. Guaranteed, if more than 15 yards are needed, the Cowboys are playing a soft zone, and will easily give up 10 to 15 yards, negating the true advantage of 1st and 20. Now it's 2nd and 10, or 2nd and 7, almost like the penalty never happened. Free yardage. Almost no resistance those 1st 10 yards or so. :mad:

I'm hoping Richard at least starts to threaten to blitz on 1st or 2nd and long, or disguise a man coverage with a zone look, SOMEthing. Sheesh! This "play it safe" defensive mentality with no chess match involved at the LOS, especially in long yardage situations, simply hoping the offense makes a mistake, it's maddening. The most we can hope for is a defensive line stunt.

Anyone else frustrated by this?
Scheme is bend but don't break all game long. No blitzing at all. Makes me nuts lol

fansince68

Reaction score
Once the opposing offense gets a penalty, I get really peeved at how the Cowboys go into simple Prevent defense mode every time. Guaranteed, if more than 15 yards are needed, the Cowboys are playing a soft zone, and will easily give up 10 to 15 yards, negating the true advantage of 1st and 20. Now it's 2nd and 10, or 2nd and 7, almost like the penalty never happened. Free yardage. Almost no resistance those 1st 10 yards or so. :mad:

I'm hoping Richard at least starts to threaten to blitz on 1st or 2nd and long, or disguise a man coverage with a zone look, SOMEthing. Sheesh! This "play it safe" defensive mentality with no chess match involved at the LOS, especially in long yardage situations, simply hoping the offense makes a mistake, it's maddening. The most we can hope for is a defensive line stunt.

Excellent point. I noticed this as well.

Fletch

To The Moon
Reaction score

You don’t need studs at every level to compete when you know how to scheme. Marmalade is out-dated!

blueblood70

Reaction score

its league wide , lots of teams do it.. remember game 1 NO VS Texans..the last minute was ridiculous.. it happens..we didnt invent it.

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan

and what happens if the opponent counters this blitz? You get an outmatched secondary trying to to stop the huge gain by the offense. More and more teams are sending 4-5 guys out in these situations so you either a defend the big pass and allow a shallow catch or you go short at DB and pray your blitz gets home before the QB hits a wide open receiver down the seam. I get that it's not exiting but its sound defense. We do need more from our passrush group in these situations and that will help with quinn and possibly gregory later.

KMY_Amber

Reaction score
and what happens if the opponent counters this blitz? You get an outmatched secondary trying to to stop the huge gain by the offense. More and more teams are sending 4-5 guys out in these situations so you either a defend the big pass and allow a shallow catch or you go short at DB and pray your blitz gets home before the QB hits a wide open receiver down the seam. I get that it's not exiting but its sound defense. We do need more from our passrush group in these situations and that will help with quinn and possibly gregory later.

I didn't say blitz, I said threaten to blitz, or at least disguise a coverage. Something to get into the QB's head. Chess match. Show 6 or 7 at the LOS, then drop them out into their Prevent Zone coverage. Make it look like zone, and then at the snap, cover everyone underneath in man.

As opposed to showing Quarters Cover Safe, playing Quarters Cover Safe, and just giving up 10 to 13 yards with no sweat. Now it's 2nd and 10 or 2nd and 7, and it negates the advantage of having the 1st and 20 in the first place.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan

Come on, don't come in here and spoil things with facts!

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Against the hapless Skins offense, sure, this worked out. Against better offenses, they will convert these 1st and 20s or 2nd and 20s, when the Cowboys just willingly give up 10 to 15 yards on the next play.
:huh:

They didn't give up 15 yards to the Skins on the next play. How can you get irritated about something that did not happen?