The Cowboys "Mystique"

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
I'm seeing a "mystique" that's grown tarnished, almost beyond recognition, as compared to what it once was. My affection for the Cowboys and its organization has left me a pretty disgruntled fan nowadays, thanks to the miserable management of Jerry and his son, Stephen. A franchise with true mystique shouldn't leave the average fan nearly as miserable as most of us on this website. 25 years of mediocrity is hardly deserving of the reputation of a team with "mystique." :(

I've been a prisoner of my waning affection for the Cowboys for far too many years to consider myself a devoted fan now. It has long become more of an addiction than a blessing. The mystique has gradually become an addiction that has me wondering how much longer I'll continue to follow them. To me now, addiction is the byword, rather than mystique -- much to my chagrin. I hope this becomes a disappointing habit that might be miraculously overcome by this team's success. Just wishful thinking on my part, perhaps. :oops:

Last edited:

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Every team in the League was affected by the same strike, why is it that only the Cowboys couldn't deal with it in the late 80s?

You have no real memory of that time do you. Tony Dorset himself said that the team was never the same. 22 cowboys including Randy White crossed the picket line and broke the strike. So you can imagine the kind of divided locker room the finished out the season. White said he lost his passion for the game after the strike. No other team had that many guys cross the picket line. .............and few other teams had further to fall.

fgoodwin

Reaction score
You have no real memory of that time do you. Tony Dorset himself said that the team was never the same. 22 cowboys including Randy White crossed the picket line and broke the strike. So you can imagine the kind of divided locker room the finished out the season. White said he lost his passion for the game after the strike. No other team had that many guys cross the picket line. .............and few other teams had further to fall.
I was born in 1954, I remember the 1987 Strike. TD calling Randy White "Captain Scab" just a couple of days before he crossed himself. So don't pretend to know what I do and don't remember of that time.

"The 21 Cowboys players who crossed during the strike wasn't a league high. The Raiders had 26, the Rams 24 and the St. Louis Cardinals 22. Dallas was next up."

https://www.dallascowboys.com/news/...aused-frustration-for-cowboys-veterans-444191

Here are the W/L records for DAL, OAK, LAR, AZ for 87, 88, and 89:

DAL: 7-8, 3-13, 1-15
OAK: 5-10, 7-9, 8-8
LAR: 6-9, 10-6, 11-5
AZ: 7-8, 7-9, 5-11

For 1988 and 1989, every team with more strikebreakers than Dallas actually won more games than Dallas. Maybe their locker rooms didn't split like ours did? Maybe you're right -- the Cowboys are such snowflakes they can't can't handle a strike as well as other teams.

FrankM

Reaction score
Somebody else does because the team continues to lead in ratings and revenue.

They flexed them to the early game and were the top rated early CBS game all season and I do not get that. Why do so many people keep watching this team?
People watch to see them lose and the media circus that exist with this team.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I was born in 1954, I remember the 1987 Strike. TD calling Randy White "Captain Scab" just a couple of days before he crossed himself. So don't pretend to know what I do and don't remember of that time.

"The 21 Cowboys players who crossed during the strike wasn't a league high. The Raiders had 26, the Rams 24 and the St. Louis Cardinals 22. Dallas was next up."

https://www.dallascowboys.com/news/...aused-frustration-for-cowboys-veterans-444191

For 1988 and 1989, every team with more strikebreakers than Dallas actually won more games than Dallas. Maybe their locker rooms didn't split like ours did? Maybe you're right -- the Cowboys are such snowflakes they can't can't handle a strike as well as other teams.

I'll take the players word over yours any day.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Thanks for the link. It proves my point.

""I feel so strongly about this, that the strike had more of an effect of where our team went than anything else," White says. "Everyone wants to blame the draft for the deterioration of the Cowboys in the 1980s. I couldn't disagree more. It was the strikes, both in 1982 and 1987, how we handled them, and the fact that we never had a big team meeting afterward and aired out our feelings. We never patched things up. We were never a team again."

fgoodwin

Reaction score
Thanks for the link. It proves my point.

""I feel so strongly about this, that the strike had more of an effect of where our team went than anything else," White says. "Everyone wants to blame the draft for the deterioration of the Cowboys in the 1980s. I couldn't disagree more. It was the strikes, both in 1982 and 1987, how we handled them, and the fact that we never had a big team meeting afterward and aired out our feelings. We never patched things up. We were never a team again."
Yes it does. And I agreed with you above.

Paradox

Reaction score
Mystique: a framework of doctrines, ideas, beliefs, or the like, constructed around a person or object, endowing the person or object with enhanced value or profound meaning.

Those of us around for awhile will remember this term emerging in the late 60's and early 70's and would lead to the term "America's Team" coined by NFL Films.

When the Cowboys came into being, the NFL landscape had been ruled by the Bears, Browns and Packers with blue collar no holds barred football that always included blood and mud on the uniforms. Back then they didn't have the names on the uniforms so it was not uncommon not to be able to identify the players' numbers by the 4Q. It was a pipe fitters dream of a sport.

This mystique began to emerge and no one could explain it. What was this fascination with this team in Texas? This team even had the unflattering football word "finesse" attached to it and another would emerge in the late 60's through 1970, "bridesmaid". Always a bridesmaid and never a bride. Finesse denoted a team more suited to accountants and lawyers than pipe fitters.

I believe in the Cowboys "Mystique", how else can I explain the popularity and must cover by the media of a team that has accomplished so little in the last 25 years but are as popular as when they had a record 20 winning seasons in a row?

I can't tell you what happened but the first time I saw the Cowboys play it was just like the first time I saw my bride to be a full two years before I would even meet her. It was love at first sight and I was a longtime Cardinals fan growing up in Arkansas and they would be co-favorites for 8 years until that game in Green Bay when finesse and mystique would meet mean, tough and ugly in inhuman conditions and lose the game but destroy the word finesse as a label for that team. Pipe fitters that day stood up and took notice.

But the mystique not only stayed with the team but began to even grow more pronounced and football fans across this nation were all forced to choose sides with this team. No indifferent fans here, you hated or loved the Dallas Cowboys. The Yankees of the NFL had arrived.

And I can tell you first hand that neither side could explain why they felt the way they did. I had my East buds even say they loved Tom Landry but hated the Cowboys. Same with Staubach, they liked him but liked seeing him get drilled even more in that uniform. That uniform, part of the mystique?

So, my friends, do not think there is anything wrong with you because you can't shake this team. Ask yourself "why do I keep putting myself through this? I know they're going to lose and I still am a moth to the flame".

Some have their reasons, they were raised a Cowboys fan or followed a favorite college player to the team. I do not have a reason. I deserted my longtime favorite and co-favorite after they lost the biggest game in their history to that point. And I've never looked back.

They are that desire of your heart that does you wrong and you keep coming back for more. You can call her a tramp but no one else better because she is, after all, yours.

Might we use this thread to discuss how we became fans and how much being a fan means to us and share stories of how we became infected with the "Cowboys Mystique"? Particularly you fans in enemy territory because you fascinate me. And just what is this mystique and why only this team?

There are plenty of other threads for us to be angry about but being a fan should bring joy. Frustration? Sure. but rejoice in the fact that you are still there for the desire of your heart. You will not forsake them. Be proud that you are a loyal fan.

Well written, CC! Very good post.

My first two memories are pooping behind my dad's chair :D and watching a Cowboys game with my brother. I remember loving the team colors, helmets, and collisions while having no idea what was happening on the screen. Being 6 years my elder, my brother was the only one in my family who cared about football and he got me started.

We moved to Bears country by the age of 7. I was constantly harassed about my loyalty to the Boys all throughout childhood. That fueled the diehard tank. Being able to watch most games in Illinois was pretty important too.

Ultimately, the mystique is inconsequential to me. My fandom boils down to loyalty and that is hardwired. I'll never cheat on my wife and I'll never abandon the Cowboys!

ottawacowpoke

Reaction score
Not sure how I became a Cowboys fan. Being born and raised in South Texas we just grew up that way. When Lilly threw his helmet up in the air after the SB loss to Miami I remember how frustrated I was and that pretty much cemented my fandom for life.

that was against the Colts

LatinMind

iPhotoshop
Reaction score
The Dallas Cowboys is a behemoth media asset.

However, a lot of that is because of the teams dominance in the 70's and 90's. As those fans age, the Cowboys will experience a loss of fans I fear.

Yet, all we need to do is win to prevent that.
negative ghost rider.

Ive been a Cowboys fan since 87, hershal walker is the reason im a fan. So i became a fan at probably the worst 3-5 yr stretch this team has ever had. For me its never been about the wins. Rooting and having a passion for your team when theyre winning is easy. Doing the same with the same passion when theyre losing is what a true fan does. The mentality of this forum is a small spec of Cowboy Fans, so just because fans here are flipping their emotions to anger, and betrayal doesnt mean thats the majority feeling for Cowboy fans. This forum hates Jerry but he's one of the most respected owners in all of sports. He might make stupid choices sometimes, but he's made alot of good ones too. I think where he has failed is picking a coach.

There isnt a loss of Cowboy fans, the ratings, and sales prove this.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
People forget that when Jerry bought the Cowboys they were drowning in massive debt and not in good shape at all financially....losing 1 million per month.
Hate him all we want but he rescued the franchise.
It’s true the Cowboys were losing money big time. But Jerry did not rescue the franchise. He made it stronger financially for sure. But he bought the NFL team with the most luster and perhaps the strongest brand in American sports, or second only to the NY Yankees. He didn’t own the browns or chargers. The Cowboys were losing money but they weren’t losing fans in droves.

Jerry is a brilliant businessman and deserves great credit for his contributions to the Cowboys and the NFL financially. He’s in the HOF for that. But thinking Jerry “saved” the Dallas Cowboys to me is a Jones exaggeration. He benefitted greatly by what the Cowboys were before he got there.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
The cowboys logo of the star helps with America's team, as stars are on the flag.
The cowboys uniforms have always been attractive, and they have not changed them, they still look like the old nfl teams.
The cowboys playing on thanksgiving, was big part of being America's team, that was a smart move.
The cowboys had the same HC for almost 30 years, and were a playoff team 20 years in a row, and won 2 SB's out of 5 trips.

And sadly now it is jerrys play toy lol. But the rep and "mystique" is still there, but jerrys circus style is eroding those slowly
and someday it will fade away.
Jerry is lucky he won the SB's with Jimmy and the team he built, because those are the only SB's his toy will ever play in.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
The mystique is gone. The Cowboys get attention now largely due to follies, failures, and finding new ways to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory while an 80 year old man keeps seeking the spotlight.

My loyalty is to those who made me a fan, which was long before Jerry. I'm still here but I feel no loyalty to him and my patience has worn thin. His ego turned a once-proud franchise into a laughingstock.
yeah landry and gil etc had the cowboys in the playoffs 20 years in a row, since jimmy left and his team faded cowboys cant do more than 1 in a row,
and with jimmy did 3 in a row, then 3 more after jimmy? totaling 6. then came the nothing years with a occasional playoff appearance, and never getting past the div round game.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score

The late 80s Cowboys were old and slow. Go back and look at the early 80s drafts - Landry and Brandt had lost their touch.

This wasn't a SB contender torn apart by the strike. This was a team of aging stars without the talent to replace them.