The Cowboys need to pretend Witten and Sean Lee retired and stayed retired when drafting

Verdict

Reaction score
You can get good RBs and LBs later on in the draft. If I were the Cowboys I would be looking to bolster both with mid round picks. (3rd to 4th). It's hard to get an impact tight end later on in the draft but this is supposed to be a fairly deep tight end draft. The Cowboys should be looking hard at that position too.

The Cowboys should not let Witten or Lee deter them from pursuing those positions on draft day.

DenCWBY

Reaction score
You can get good RBs and LBs later on in the draft. If I were the Cowboys I would be looking to bolster both with mid round picks. (3rd to 4th). It's hard to get an impact tight end later on in the draft but this is supposed to be a fairly deep tight end draft. The Cowboys should be looking hard at that position too.

The Cowboys should not let Witten or Lee deter them from pursuing those positions on draft day.
I think both players are looking at their last year (this year) of any significant playing time. I know Lee has also offered significant support as a teacher at the LB spot for our younger players. I hope Witten will do the same just to add value on top of what game he has left.

Creeper

Reaction score
I may be the only one but I don't expect Witten to be as effective as a lot of people seem to think. He WAS a great TE. But he if coming out of retirement and he is old. He may be a better blocker than anyone else Dallas has on the roster but I don't see him making an impact in the passing game. I just hope he does not impede the development of the other Cowboys TEs.

Pompey-Cowboy

Reaction score

I agree on Lee but Witten isn't gonna take many snaps away from the improving Schultz or Jarwin so I'm not concerned at TE.

ThatJerryKid

cowboys31
Reaction score
I may be the only one but I don't expect Witten to be as effective as a lot of people seem to think. He WAS a great TE. But he if coming out of retirement and he is old. He may be a better blocker than anyone else Dallas has on the roster but I don't see him making an impact in the passing game. I just hope he does not impede the development of the other Cowboys TEs.
I'm fine with Lee coming back as LB depth. He still adds value. Witten's salary is wasted money that could have been used elsewhere as far as I am concerned. The TE's last year brought as much to the field as Witten did in his final year. The only difference is that they actually had a slim chance of breaking loose and out running the defense for a 20-30 yard gain.

glimmerman

Reaction score

Witten will make the whole season. Lee even in limited snaps will still miss 6 games. If teams create a matchup that makes him have to cover the hammy will go. Luckily we are set at LB pretty ok.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Witten can help as he is a smart vet player that knows how to get open. They key is how they use him and do not rely on him too much. And certainly to not rely on him getting 1st downs. As my fear now instead of being 1/2 yard short, he will be 1 to 2 yards short.
Leave those plays for Schultz and Jarwin.

Witten can pick up the 7 to 9 yards but Zeke and others can get the 1st downs from there.

Lee, not sure about his role other than depth and help the others as to in game adjustments and teaching them.
Also hopefully Witten will refrain from refusing to come off the field, and spread the plays around.

Doomsday101

Reaction score

I don't think they will. Dallas knows both guys are on a 1 year deal at a low cost if anything they only help in terms of not reaching out of desperation to fill those spots. As for TE I think the play of Jarwin was encouraging and he will have this season before hitting FA to prove himself but I don't think it will deter the Cowboys from drafting a TE if they see one they like.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
I think there's a fair chance that the Cowboys could draft a TE, especially since Rico is in jeopardy of losing his job due to suspension and sucking. Witten is more than likely going to be limited to making this his last year. I wouldn't be surprised if the team chose to draft a TE in the 3rd round, though. It's quite possible they'll look to draft either a DT or a strong safety in the second round. Of course, a lot depends upon how the draft proceeds, as always.

Last edited:

StarBoyz83

Reaction score
That's a good point but I still feel te is down the list of concerns.

Safety
De
Dt
Lb
Wr
Rb2
Te

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

The Cowboys won't draft based on Witten or Lee.

They will consider other players on the roster such as LBs like Covington and March-Lillard. I think they drafted Covington with the idea of him replacing Wilson at SLB. Covington has positive attributes. His development as a LB has been delayed relative to other players because he was a QB during his 1st season in college and in high school.

It won't be about just one player. The combination of young players like Covington/March-Lillard and Lee plus Joe Thomas will come into the decision making process.

On the majority of snaps there are only 2 LBs in the game. The SLB only plays between 15 and 30 percent of the snaps. In Dime there is only 1 LB.

In regards to TE I don't think S.Jones was clamoring for Witten to return. They didn't give him any guaranteed money and publically stated his snaps would be limited to about half or less of the total offensive snaps. Garrett did push to sign Witten but Garrett only has a small input into the draft now.

How they feel about Jarwin/Shultz will affect their thoughts on drafting a TE to some extent but Witten will have zero impact on their draft plans.

JayFord

Reaction score
I doubt this team is relying on witten and lee to do much more than be leaders

If they’re expecting them to actually be vital parts on the field then these people are nuts

rocknrobcowboy

Reaction score

I will pretend I didn't read this..

mattjames2010

Reaction score
We already have viewed Sean Lee as retired, what do you think LVE was drafted for?

We have also drafted multiple TEs even when Witten was younger and playing at a high level. How many, about 4-5? Two of them came in the second round.

So what are you even talking about? You don't need to make a thread for every thought that comes into your head.

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score

I agree.

To me..

this draft is wide open for us.

BPA has to be the players we take if we are going to make this draft succeed.

All positions can use more depth and competition.

This is where the scouts earn their money.

It should be interesting.

Some teams may want to move back and collect picks.

I would consider trading our #1 in 2020 to move up in this draft.

Our # 1 in 2020 is going to be very late in the round if we win more than once in the 2019 playoffs.

If we do not win..

we will be tearing this team down and starting over with a new HC anyway.

Win now.

Win before we pay out these huge contracts to Cooper, Zeke and DAK.

Paying out before these guys prove they can win is foolish to me.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The Cowboys better forget running much offense through the TE until they get a top 10 one. They have a top 3 RB and potential top 5 WR corps and that can get the job done. TE's are for blocking in this offense.

You can get good LBs later on but can you get a great one? How hard would this D be to play against with a LB on par with Smith and Vander Esch?

Batman1980

Reaction score
We already have viewed Sean Lee as retired, what do you think LVE was drafted for?

We have also drafted multiple TEs even when Witten was younger and playing at a high level. How many, about 4-5? Two of them came in the second round.

So what are you even talking about? You don't need to make a thread for every thought that comes into your head.

Anthony Fasano, Martellus Bennett and Pablo Escobar is three by my count.

pancakeman

Reaction score
I think there's a fair chance that the Cowboys could draft a TE, especially since Rico is in jeopardy of losing his job due to suspension and sucking. Witten is more than likely going to be limited to making this his last year. I wouldn't be surprised if the team chose to draft a TE in the 3rd round, though. It's quite possible they'll look to draft either a DT or a strong safety in the second round. Of course, a lot depends upon how the draft proceeds, as always.
:muttley: