The Cowboys QBs of 2000-2006

Brax

Reaction score
What correlation does Dak and Romo have to where Romo is the exact reason you don't pay Dak? Romo needed help just like most players of his caliber......what's the issue?

Dak has failed time and time again in the clutch? I Don't think you've been paying attention....
You may of misunderstood , Paying Romo second contract was wrong just like paying Daks second contract is wrong for the $$$ and lack of clutch play. You don't pay elite for good. As for clutch Dak is a poster of not being it, what have you watched sense 2016, I saw nothing but Dak folding like a tent with the pressure on.. Mahomes is like what in 4 years 6-1, Dak 1-2 in 5 years sorry Dak doesn't cut it.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Sean Payton did not steal Romo from Denver. Mike Shanahan really wanted Romo for the Broncos and ardently pursued him , but Payton convinced him to sign with the Cowboys.

This is exactly right. Payton, Shanahan and Romo all went to the same school, Eastern Illinois. Romo used to go to Payton's camps and that's how Sean Payton learned of Romo. That's also how we got him signed. Denver actually offered him more money but he signed here in Dallas.

Brax

Reaction score
Please show. Time and time again he has failed. Also show. Zekes stats and the defences stats for those games. Also fumbles and drops at key moments.
Who cares about Zeke, Daks1-2 in play offs, the philly debacle, 5 years 1 play off win 2 playoff appearances. Pressure is on Dak cracks just the way it is, already had one of those no one should want another especially at elite money.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
It's not the QB it's the cost he is demanding, unless the QB is elite just don't see team building with $$$$ left over.

See, but the problem is that if you do that, then you're not doing much other than shuffling through QBs and hoping that you hit on QB every time you draft one. Dak may not be elite, but he's a solid QB. In terms of Cowboys history, sure, he's not at Aikman or Staubach's level, but he sure is on Romo's and Danny White's level. That is a QB you still have to keep because that is still better than most of the QBs you'll find. Especially when you need to spend your top draft picks this year on defence like we must. If we're to have any hope of competing next season, we will need to go defence this year early and often in the draft. Otherwise, next season will be even worse with our defence. Instead of having to score 30-40 to win, we'll have to score 40-50 next year because we simply don't have a good defence at all. Unless the plan is to tank next season, I think we have to keep Dak. And then, if we tank the season, you have to HOPE that you get lucky AGAIN that the QB you take meets everything you need at QB. Otherwise, welcome to 2000-2006 again. I do NOT want to go back to those times, especially 2000-2002. That is my worst nightmare as a Cowboys fan, especially since, at the time, it felt like we were never getting out of it. It felt, at the time, like all I'd ever know as a Cowboys fan was 5-11 and us getting owned by the Eagles at the time. Besides, what Dak is asking for now is about the going rate for a QB. It'll look like a bargain in a few years when, if we were to draft another QB, the next QB comes of contract time.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Because some think W-L is a QB record not a team record.

It's both big dog and you know this. It's definitely a team game and that record is on the entire team but if you want to get paid, if you want to be in the discussion of GOAT or the Hall, it's on the QB. Always has been that way, so far as I can remember.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
This is exactly right. Payton, Shanahan and Romo all went to the same school, Eastern Illinois. Romo used to go to Payton's camps and that's how Sean Payton learned of Romo. That's also how we got him signed. Denver actually offered him more money but he signed here in Dallas.

And it was a lucky thing that Romo chose to sign here as opposed to Denver.

bewp7

Reaction score
pretty much same number of play off wins any way.

blueblood70

Reaction score
And now, the Cowboys QBs of 2000-2006, brought to you by Furboy

AdorableWhichGallinule-max-14mb.gif

Troy Aikman, Randall Cunningham, Anthony Wright, Clint Storner. Ryan Leaf's moral compass was not in one piece, Quincy Carter's mind was gone, there's Chad Hutchinson, Drew Henson, and Vinny watch the birdie Testaverde, Drew Bledsoe, and Tony Romo *falls*

Point of this hopefully humourous post in the tune and parody of Yakko's World will help you all understand why we need to keep Dak. In case you forgot about those horrendous years, we went through a bad stretch between when Aikman couldn't play anymore until we lucked into Romo. For those that think that simply replacing a franchise QB with the leadership intangibles that Dak has, remember those years. For 5 and a half years, we didn't have a franchise QB. The only reason we had one was because Sean Payton managed to steal Romo away from the Broncos as a UDFA, and somehow, he didn't take Romo to New Orleans with him when he left for there. Oh, and then Parcells started to use him more. If not for all of that, I suspect we probably would still be looking for a franchise QB. Idk about you, but I would hate to return to THOSE years of searching for a franchise QB. Those years were an awful introduction to being a Cowboys fan for me as all I knew for my first few years as a fan was 5-11.
sure its scary and that postion has merit on why to try and keep dak

but why would teams like NE let Brady walk, Texans consider trading watson, Rogers possibly leaving in fact there might be as many as 20 new starting qbs this coming season as their teams are changing their minds ie Goff, wentz, big ben, brees retiring , MIA not sold on Tua, rivers retires, cam gone, Teddy B , jimmy g, and trubiski ,and foles off the same team. just to name few might be more.

could be the biggest turnover ever in one season for stating qbs..

so we allow Dak to hold us hostage should he want top dollar and wat are they saying down there 5 games over 500 for his career?

hes solid qb but so were many of those above..most were overpaid and their coach and owners starting to get wise to that..

the what have you done fr me lately comes to mind..

I like dak hope they work it out but not to worried given many options coming this season for temporary patch that are far better then the list you gave..

i mean last season rivers helped Indy get to the playoffs and TB is in the SB they were allegedly about to fail..

i know where you are coming from but we can not be heres take whatever you want team and give in to all daks demands over fear,,recent history we went from Romo to 4th round qb and did find, teams are having earlier success with young guys etc..

keep an open mind , paying dak is good OVRER PAYING Dak IS BAD!

Brax

Reaction score
See, but the problem is that if you do that, then you're not doing much other than shuffling through QBs and hoping that you hit on QB every time you draft one. Dak may not be elite, but he's a solid QB. In terms of Cowboys history, sure, he's not at Aikman or Staubach's level, but he sure is on Romo's and Danny White's level. That is a QB you still have to keep because that is still better than most of the QBs you'll find. Especially when you need to spend your top draft picks this year on defence like we must. If we're to have any hope of competing next season, we will need to go defence this year early and often in the draft. Otherwise, next season will be even worse with our defence. Instead of having to score 30-40 to win, we'll have to score 40-50 next year because we simply don't have a good defence at all. Unless the plan is to tank next season, I think we have to keep Dak. And then, if we tank the season, you have to HOPE that you get lucky AGAIN that the QB you take meets everything you need at QB. Otherwise, welcome to 2000-2006 again. I do NOT want to go back to those times, especially 2000-2002. That is my worst nightmare as a Cowboys fan, especially since, at the time, it felt like we were never getting out of it. It felt, at the time, like all I'd ever know as a Cowboys fan was 5-11 and us getting owned by the Eagles at the time. Besides, what Dak is asking for now is about the going rate for a QB. It'll look like a bargain in a few years when, if we were to draft another QB, the next QB comes of contract time.
37-40 million is the going rate for elite generational talent not Dak 11-20 talent. The Dak lovers don't need to worry though Jerry will not do the right thing, he's going to sign him and in 4-5 years Dak will still be the same good go nowhere QB with failure after failure. but heck it's been 25 years what's 5 more of the same, heck it will only be like 30 years of Jerry's mismanagement, funny how Dak lovers now trust Jerry to pick a QB when he hasn't the last 24 years..

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
sure its scary and that postion has merit on why to try and keep dak

but why would teams like NE let Brady walk, Texans consider trading watson, Rogers possibly leaving in fact there might be as many as 20 new starting qbs this coming season as their teams are changing their minds ie Goff, wentz, big ben, brees retiring , MIA not sold on Tua, rivers retires, cam gone, Teddy B , jimmy g, and trubiski ,and foles off the same team. just to name few might be more.

could be the biggest turnover ever in one season for stating qbs..

so we allow Dak to hold us hostage should he want top dollar and wat are they saying down there 5 games over 500 for his career?

hes solid qb but so were many of those above..most were overpaid and their coach and owners starting to get wise to that..

the what have you done fr me lately comes to mind..

I like dak hope they work it out but not to worried given many options coming this season for temporary patch that are far better then the list you gave..

i mean last season rivers helped Indy get to the playoffs and TB is in the SB they were allegedly about to fail..

i know where you are coming from but we can not be heres take whatever you want team and give in to all daks demands over fear,,recent history we went from Romo to 4th round qb and did find, teams are having earlier success with young guys etc..

keep an open mind , paying dak is good OVRER PAYING Dak IS BAD!

I hear you about not overpaying Dak. At the same time, paying about the going rate, imo, is not overpaying. In fact, the sooner we get Dak extended, the less we'll have to pay him. If we wait too long, then we will enter the 2000-2006 scenario because Dak's value is only going to go up if we wait. If we sign him now, I think we can get him for about $38 mil per year because he can point to Goff and Wentz and say, "See? I'm better than them, and they were picked further ahead than I was, oh, and I was paid less by a lot than them." It puts him between what Wentz got and what Mahomes and Watson are getting. I think that's about fair and probably about what I'd expect Dak to get. Now, if we wait and Lamar Jackson, Baker Mayfield, and Josh Allen get extended, now we have a problem because they're going to get paid more than Mahomes, thus triggering an increase for Dak. So, the sooner we get a deal with him done, the better.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Same here given that I was about 7 when I started watching, and that was around the 1999/2000 season lol. So I didn't see the SB years. I was in diapers and about a month old for the first of the 90s SBs.
Damn...we deserve better lol...at least a NFC Championship run this year lol.

blueblood70

Reaction score
Well, it was a good thing that Jerry didn't deal Romo. We would've been in a world of trouble. And the thing is, Dak has been a solid player for us. Given our need for defence, I don't know how you replace him. We need to go defence early because we have a horrible defence. A CB, DT, S, or LB would be the best things that we can get at 10. I don't think Wilson or Lance will fall to us, much less Lawrence. So, we don't really have a top option to take. So, we have to keep Dak for at least one more season while we fix our defence. Otherwise, we won't have a franchise QB which will make things really bad.

38 mil is not reserved for SOLID...that the issue so many qbs get paid sometimes 2 -2.5 times guys like Donald and dont deserve it and typically ity DOES NOT pay off..

something has to change..

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
You may of misunderstood , Paying Romo second contract was wrong just like paying Daks second contract is wrong for the $$$ and lack of clutch play. You don't pay elite for good. As for clutch Dak is a poster of not being it, what have you watched sense 2016, I saw nothing but Dak folding like a tent with the pressure on.. Mahomes is like what in 4 years 6-1, Dak 1-2 in 5 years sorry Dak doesn't cut it.

Based on what Wentz and Goff get paid....I don't think 38-40 million is paying elite....

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
37-40 million is the going rate for elite generational talent not Dak 11-20 talent. The Dak lovers don't need to worry though Jerry will not do the right thing, he's going to sign him and in 4-5 years Dak will still be the same good go nowhere QB with failure after failure. but heck it's been 25 years what's 5 more of the same, heck it will only be like 30 years of Jerry's mismanagement, funny how Dak lovers now trust Jerry to pick a QB when he hasn't the last 24 years..

I DON'T trust Jerry to draft a QB. I laid out 3 recent examples of QBs Jerry wanted to select. Imagine if we had Manziel, Cook, and Lynch QBing us. We'd have been a MASSIVE disaster. Yet THOSE are the QBs Jerry wanted! That's why I'm THANKFUL we lucked into Dak. I DON'T trust Jerry to get lucky again. Especially with the other needs we have. Extending Dak not only gives us a QB for that 4-5 year window, but it takes a major concern away and allows us to focus more on pieces that we REALLY need to address in the draft. We need to build the defence like we did the oline in 2010-2014. The best way to do that is through the draft, as the WFT have learned. If we can start building that side of the ball through the draft with great choices, then we'll be in great shape. If we can get even an average defence, I think Dak can take us the rest of the way. The problem is, we haven't just got an underaverage defence. We've got one of the worst defences of ALL TIME. It doesn't matter who the QB is, you're not winning when you have that bad of a defence.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Based on what Wentz and Goff get paid....I don't think 38-40 million is paying elite....

Exactly! 38-40 is now the GOING RATE. And that's only going to go higher. Unless you plan to become the Jets and what the Browns were before Mayfield, you can't just have a revolving door at QB, and you sure as hell can't expect every QB you draft to be a success. Even first round QBs. We should know! We had close shaves with QBs that Jerry clearly thought were first round talents.

blueblood70

Reaction score
sorry but Daks not really all that much different saying hes so much better so he deserves more no PHREAKING way!

they ALL FALL INTO A Similar BUBBLE WITH COUSINS ,GAROPPLO, AND THERES ANYTHING OVER 35 IS WAY OUT OF PROPORTION..imho ANYWAY

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
38 mil is not reserved for SOLID...that the issue so many qbs get paid sometimes 2 -2.5 times guys like Donald and dont deserve it and typically ity DOES NOT pay off..

something has to change..

Well, the only way that's changing, in all likelihood, is if the NFL puts in a max QB salary like the NBA does. Otherwise, that market is just going to go higher and higher. And 38 is now the going rate for solid, and that's only going to go higher as players like Lamar Jackson get new contracts. Oh, and Aaron Rodgers wants a new deal too apparently. Think he's going to go any less than $45 mil? I don't think so. Guess what that does to the QB market.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
And it was a lucky thing that Romo chose to sign here as opposed to Denver.

Fur, I like you but I gotta tell you, your take on the 2000 to 2006 era are wrong IMO. The reason we went through such a string of QBs is because we were cap strapped and draft poor. We had managed our team poorly and as a result, traded away numerous high picks for short term players that let us down. We over paid a lot of players and were stuck with dead cap contracts to boot. That's the real reason we couldn't get decent young QB talent at that time.

We are seeing the same thing happen now. Don't be afraid of moving on at QB. At some point, it's gonna happen.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
sorry but Daks not really all that much different saying hes so much better so he deserves more no PHREAKING way!

they ALL FALL INTO A Similar BUBBLE WITH COUSINS ,GAROPPLO, AND THERES ANYTHING OVER 35 IS WAY OUT OF PROPORTION..imho ANYWAY

Unfortunately, that's not really our say either way. It's why I say the sooner we sign Dak, the better. If we wait too long, then we will have to let him walk because the market is only going to go higher entering the seasons mentioned in this thread. We really are in a horrible predicament that, had Jerry signed Dak earlier, we wouldn't be in. Now, the defence is completely awful because we never addressed the issues there properly earlier so we wouldn't have this problem. If we had an average QB and Dak wasn't succeeding, then I'd be right there with you on potentially drafting a new QB. However, the reality of the situation is that we are horrible on defence, and we have to fix it. Otherwise, it is going to take a VERY long time to get this team successful, and if we don't have a QB, then we're going to be even more screwed. Luckily, we HAVE a franchise QB that knows the system well and works well with the rest of the team.

Vanilla2

Reaction score
We can do just as well with the refurbished qb they got in Michigan. That guy has IT!