CFZ The Current Philosophy Reminds Me of A Former Time

IceBowler

Reaction score
DO NOT think I am saying there's any comparison between the 90s Boyz and what we're seeing now with Rush and this team. I am simply saying that the philosophy we're seeing played out on the field now is exactly what Jimmy's Cowboys rode to a lot of success.

• Heavy dependence on a running game. Jimmy had Emmitt and Now it's Zeke AND Pollard in combination. Who gives a whit about which back is better when the fact is that in tandem they can produce big numbers. (175 yards vs. NY).
  • Cooper Rush is producing Aikman-Like numbers through the air .. no 400 yard games but rather, 235 or so and little or no turnovers.
  • An OL that's getting it done one way or another - both passing and running.
  • A defense that is capable of tearing the head off opposing QBs and stiff vs. the run.
Again, for you slow ones out there, I AM NOT SAYING THIS IS A TEAM IN THE SAME UNIVERSE as Jimmy's teams but, the philosophy is being played out the same.

All the above leads to BALANCE and that's very hard for opponents to game-plan for.

.. and I hope it continues.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
  • A defense that is capable of tearing the head off opposing QBs
tenor.gif

Oz-of-Cowboy-Country

Reaction score
Yes, the playing style of the two teams are very similar. The 90's were super talented because there was no salary cap.

But like I've said in other threads. Our current starters and style of play prove that Bill Parcells football can still win championship in today's NFL. The Jets and Mark Sanchez played Bill Parcells football. But the Jets messed that up when they paid their QB big bucks. All that money to one guy took away from the rest of the team.

Me personally, I love our current style of play and I wish they'd continue playing it when Dak comes back. It's how they had success in 2016. But Dak and/or the front office thinks Dak is Peyton Manning when he's not.

Blackrain

Reaction score
Yep we need 2016Dak .
Every time one of these guys gets paid they think they're Peyton Manning and no longer need to use their legs to make plays.

Somehow they equate their increase in salary to being able to be an accurate pocket passer.

All the increase in salary does is make them more susceptible to pressure by the media fans or just pressure they put on themselves along with the fact it weakens the team and makes it more difficult for them to have the talent around them that they once did.

That's why guys like Tom Brady are so smart They get a modest salary they're interested in winning championships and can motivate the players around them to have the same interest along with the fact that they're modest salary enables the teams they play on to maximize the amount of talent around them and protect them with a good offensive line thus prolonging their career and ultimately making them more money

ESisback

Reaction score
DO NOT think I am saying there's any comparison between the 90s Boyz and what we're seeing now with Rush and this team. I am simply saying that the philosophy we're seeing played out on the field now is exactly what Jimmy's Cowboys rode to a lot of success.

• Heavy dependence on a running game. Jimmy had Emmitt and Now it's Zeke AND Pollard in combination. Who gives a whit about which back is better when the fact is that in tandem they can produce big numbers. (175 yards vs. NY).
  • Cooper Rush is producing Aikman-Like numbers through the air .. no 400 yard games but rather, 235 or so and little or no turnovers.
  • A defense that is capable of tearing the head off opposing QBs and stiff vs. the run.
Again, for you slow ones out there, I AM NOT SAYING THIS IS A TEAM IN THE SAME UNIVERSE as Jimmy's teams but, the philosophy is being played out the same.

All the above leads to BALANCE and that's very hard for opponents to game-plan for.

Nice post, I agree. Now, if they only continue that after Dak gets back! We get Gallup back, then Washington, more reps for Tolbert, and our WR corps evolve into a formidable group. Ferguson gets better and better, Shultz comes back…

If this offense can find it’s groove, combined with this defense, maybe we can turn into a true contender.

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score

Astute observation and spot on.

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
Yep we need 2016Dak .
Every time one of these guys gets paid they think they're Peyton Manning and no longer need to use their legs to make plays.

Somehow they equate their increase in salary to being able to be an accurate pocket passer.

All the increase in salary does is make them more susceptible to pressure by the media fans or just pressure they put on themselves along with the fact it weakens the team and makes it more difficult for them to have the talent around them that they once did.

That's why guys like Tom Brady are so smart They get a modest salary they're interested in winning championships and can motivate the players around them to have the same interest along with the fact that they're modest salary enables the teams they play on to maximize the amount of talent around them and protect them with a good offensive line thus prolonging their career and ultimately making them more money
I would add, as you win more, you get more endorsement opportunities too.
Another revenue stream.

Calvin2Tony2Emmitt2Julius

Reaction score
Yup. I have always liked balanced attack run the ball, set up the pass, Stifling defense.

Everytime we've won it , That's been our style

Roger and Doomsday 1 and 2

Troy and the killer D from the 90's

Tony Calvin Duane or Emmitt

ESisback

Reaction score
Yup. I have always liked balanced attack run the ball, set up the pass, Stifling defense.

Everytime we've won it , That's been our style

Roger and Doomsday 1 and 2

Troy and the killer D from the 90's

Tony Calvin Duane or Emmitt

Balance…and continuity in the trenches…

The DL is solid, and with Smith and Peters, the OL is getting better.

Last edited:

Calvin2Tony2Emmitt2Julius

Reaction score
I have always said. Dak doesn't have to be elite for us to win it all. I know I know But he paid . Well so are the other QB's

point I'm making is I couldn't care less if Daks lighting it up. Dan Marino Lit it up. I want him to play like Coop is now.

No mistakes , Depend on the run, play field position football ,Defensive Big Plays, Special team big plays

IceBowler

Reaction score
Omg shut up about the 90s already… every time Dallas get a couple games above .500 ppl wanna talk about the 90s…

And YOU, sir, are exactly who I meant with all of the disclaimers in the post. Post had NOTHING to do with the 90s teams. In fact, I said that very thing TWICE. It is the philosophy that's being played out on the field. I don't think it could be any clearer than I made it .. but, there's always one.
Don't work and play well with others, do you? :huh:

Point-of-the-Star

Reaction score

I'm good with this except the "stiff vs the run" comment. Barkley ran for 81 and a 5.8 ypc avg. and Leonard Fournette gouged us and IMO won that game for TB. I think the D did good containing Joe Mixon. Having said that I think this defense is very good with the strength being the line but good in all facets.

Good post !

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Tap the brakes. They're not as good as the 90s teams.

Setackin

radioactivecowboy88
Reaction score
And YOU, sir, are exactly who I meant with all of the disclaimers in the post. Post had NOTHING to do with the 90s teams. In fact, I said that very thing TWICE. It is the philosophy that's being played out on the field. I don't think it could be any clearer than I made it .. but, there's always one.
Don't work and play well with others, do you? :huh:
Yea, u said it twice and still did it.

visionary

Reaction score

so, just to be clear, you’re saying this team is as good as the 90s Cowboys and Rush is Aikman ?

got it

dckid

Reaction score

Nice post and I think either you didn't watch Aikman and the 90's teams or you are just going by stats.
91-95 was really the era we are talking about. Aikman was a truly elite QB who played in an offense that didn't warrant him throwing the ball 35 times a game.
Go look at the NFL passing leaders in 1992, one player passed for over 4K yards, the league leader had 25 TD's, we will have QB's near 20 TD's at the halfway mark these days.
Jimmy literally broke the NFL from 89-93, he rebuilt that team from scratch. Drafted for speed and flexibility on defense.
If you guys remember the Cowboys had the number 1 defense in 92 the SB year but did not have one pro bowler or all-pro. The offensive line was built to maul defenses. They neutralized the vaunted NFC East, Reggie, LT, Skins passrusher, the Cards were mediocre back then also. :)
Slayed the Niners, my absolute all time favorite NFL game the 1992 championship in SF, Candlestick park.. wow... Aikman to Harper... there needs to be a 30 for 30 on that game.
The guts to call that pass with a 24-20 lead, no coach in the NFL right now has the brass to call it. They would all run on first down.
Jimmy was everything, the team took on his personality and bravado... Nowdays our fans long for Romo and are still crying about Dak replacing Romo.
Jerry has captured the majority of the fanbase just fighting for scraps. It's sad that we as a fanbase don't demand a real GM and actual plan.
Rant over

ESisback

Reaction score
Nice post and I think either you didn't watch Aikman and the 90's teams or you are just going by stats.
91-95 was really the era we are talking about. Aikman was a truly elite QB who played in an offense that didn't warrant him throwing the ball 35 times a game.
Go look at the NFL passing leaders in 1992, one player passed for over 4K yards, the league leader had 25 TD's, we will have QB's near 20 TD's at the halfway mark these days.
Jimmy literally broke the NFL from 89-93, he rebuilt that team from scratch. Drafted for speed and flexibility on defense.
If you guys remember the Cowboys had the number 1 defense in 92 the SB year but did not have one pro bowler or all-pro. The offensive line was built to maul defenses. They neutralized the vaunted NFC East, Reggie, LT, Skins passrusher, the Cards were mediocre back then also. :)
Slayed the Niners, my absolute all time favorite NFL game the 1992 championship in SF, Candlestick park.. wow... Aikman to Harper... there needs to be a 30 for 30 on that game.
The guts to call that pass with a 24-20 lead, no coach in the NFL right now has the brass to call it. They would all run on first down.
Jimmy was everything, the team took on his personality and bravado... Nowdays our fans long for Romo and are still crying about Dak replacing Romo.
Jerry has captured the majority of the fanbase just fighting for scraps. It's sad that we as a fanbase don't demand a real GM and actual plan.
Rant over

We demand here daily. It’s all we can do. And the day may be coming that we can’t even do that. Hell, it’s gotten to the point where some don’t WANT to anymore!