The "Dak can't throw the deep pass" myth

MikeT22

Reaction score
Maybe if Dak sucks as bad as people say he does he wouldn’t have recorded the 2nd most wins over the past three seasons.

The deal is, he doesn't suck, he's just inconsistent and mediocre.

Also, the total wins in 3 years is mostly due to the 13-3 season in '16. For a rookie and a 4th rounder, Dak played reasonably well and managed the game while limiting turnovers. But one could also credit our young and healthy OL and Zeke rushing for over 1600 yards that year for much of our success that year. But even then, we still went one and done in the playoffs.

The hope was Dak would build on it and develop and become more than just a game-manager. But that hasn't happened. He's still dinking and dunking most of the time while turning the ball over at a higher rate and holding it too long taking more sacks.

Just making the playoffs is obviously good enough for some, but if we want to be an actual contender we'll be hard-pressed to do it with Dak.

Doomsday101

Reaction score

Also, the total wins in 3 years is mostly due to the 13-3 season in '16. For a rookie and a 4th rounder, Dak played reasonably well and managed the game while limiting turnovers. But one could also credit our young and healthy OL and Zeke rushing for over 1600 yards that year for much of our success that year. But even then, we still went one and done in the playoffs.

The hope was Dak would build on it and develop and become more than just a game-manager. But that hasn't happened. He's still dinking and dunking most of the time while turning the ball over at a higher rate and holding it too long taking more sacks.

Just making the playoffs is obviously good enough for some, but if we want to be an actual contender we'll be hard-pressed to do it with Dak.

No making the playoffs is not good enough, I will say in 3 years Dak has helped this team to 2 divisional titles, at times he has held on to the ball but you don't go from 32 sacks in a season that he had last year to 52 time without break downs from the OL. he dinks and dunks? Yes so does Brady, hell vast majority of his throws are 10 yards or less, I agree Dak has to do a better job on deep balls and while he does not throw a lot of ints he needs to do better about protecting the ball in terms of fumbles.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Dak has an excellent passer rating on balls thrown over 20+ to the left and middle parts of the field.

Dink and dunk has win many Super Bowls.
dink and dunk wins....if you have a lot of strength in other areas. its not something you can rely on. and how many times has dink and dunk won? would you rather base it on exceptions, rather than majority and norm?

Hawkeye19

Reaction score

So in your opinion, the quality of the OL play is responsible for the 13-3 record and Dak’s performance in 2016– but the lack of quality OL play is not responsible for our record and his performance in 2017/18?

You can’t have it both ways. If Dak gets only limited credit for the success in 2016, why does he then get the lionshare of the blame in 2017/18? Gotta be consistent in your application of whatever metrics you use to evaluate performance.

By the way— I agree with your assessment. When Dak has good OL play— his play is respectable. When he is under a lot of pressure, his footwork, mechanics, and awareness break down very quickly. Some of the pressure he faces is his own fault— but certainly not all of it.

IMO— Dallas is a team that will go as far as it’s defense and OL can carry it. Dak is not Brees, Rodgers, or Brady. I am ok with that... we win when he doesn’t turn the ball over and in clutch situations Dak steps up consistently.

In his playoff loss, Dak battled back and had the momentum after tying the game. Was it not for a miracle throw by Rodgers and a horrific hold on Irving that went uncalled— Dak had us in position to beat one of the best QBs in the league.

pansophy

Reaction score
How do your explain this stat?

Seems pretty good to me.

44.... Wince

He can throw a go route. It's only been the last 6 games that he has started to hit guys outside the numbers 10-20 yards downfield. Look at our 3rd and 8+ yard success rate for getting first downs and you'll see it's pretty bad. Dak may get a completion but if we don't get a 1st down who cares? That's why people say he is dink and dunk.

MikeT22

Reaction score
No making the playoffs is not good enough, I will say in 3 years Dak has helped this team to 2 divisional titles, at times he has held on to the ball but you don't go from 32 sacks in a season that he had last year to 52 time without break downs from the OL. he dinks and dunks? Yes so does Brady, hell vast majority of his throws are 10 yards or less, I agree Dak has to do a better job on deep balls and while he does not throw a lot of ints he needs to do better about protecting the ball in terms of fumbles.

"so does Brady" lol

Get back to me with the Brady comparisons when Dak can not only routinely dink and dunk up and down the field for TD's but also connect on the intermediate and deep balls like Brady has most of his career. Oh, and win a SB or 5...or at least get to one.

If dinking and dunking were consistently successful for us then more power to it. But we do it because it's about the only thing Dak can consistently do.

MikeT22

Reaction score
So in your opinion, the quality of the OL play is responsible for the 13-3 record and Dak’s performance in 2016– but the lack of quality OL play is not responsible for our record and his performance in 2017/18?

You can’t have it both ways. If Dak gets only limited credit for the success in 2016, why does he then get the lionshare of the blame in 2017/18? Gotta be consistent in your application of whatever metrics you use to evaluate performance.

By the way— I agree with your assessment. When Dak has good OL play— his play is respectable. When he is under a lot of pressure, his footwork, mechanics, and awareness break down very quickly. Some of the pressure he faces is his own fault— but certainly not all of it.

IMO— Dallas is a team that will go as far as it’s defense and OL can carry it. Dak is not Brees, Rodgers, or Brady. I am ok with that... we win when he doesn’t turn the ball over and in clutch situations Dak steps up consistently.

In his playoff loss, Dak battled back and had the momentum after tying the game. Was it not for a miracle throw by Rodgers and a horrific hold on Irving that went uncalled— Dak had us in position to beat one of the best QBs in the league.

I said the OL and Zeke had just as much to do with the '16 success as Dak. We were able to win despite playing it safe with Dak. He did well for being thrown in as a rookie but he wasn't carrying the O, the OL and Zeke was while Dak was contributing and not turning the ball over.

Yeah, the OL hasn't been up to par the last 2 years, but Dak hasn't really progressed either.

And I'm not someone who hates Dak. Personally I think he's a high character guy. As a QB I see him being very inconsistent and average. He will flash playmaking ability at times but also can routinely have 2-3 quarters a game where he's just dumping it off or holding it too long and taking sacks as we go 3 and out or stall in the redzone.
Overall he's been good enough to help get us into the playoffs, but I don't think he's anywhere near elite or capable of winning 3-4 postseason games in a row to get to or win a SB.

Number1

Reaction score
what lies. I have presented nothing but facts....you have presented nothing but obscurity and emotion.... take your emotions out of this and you can see more clearly

your opinions are not facts, presenting them facts may not technically be lying ... possibly delusional, definitely silly