News: The Dallas Cowboys shouldn’t play it safe at safety

Sydla

Reaction score
With a front office that plays it as cheap as this one does and knowing they are likely looking at upgrading the S position, Boston would fit ideally. Cheap, decent, etc. Certainly a better investment than when we had to have Nolan Carroll at CB.

I still hold out for Thomas but something tells me this front office is going to nickel and dime it again and Thomas will price himself out of their range.

northerncowboynation

Reaction score
I like this, but I'll take it in a slightly different way. I actually think we should get the best 1 tech DT we can get in FA, and then draft the best safety we can get. The reason is because, if we can get a top 1 tech to go with Antwan Woods, that can really help us develop a young safety.

Again good thoughts BUT we don't draft or value 1 Tech DT's anymore than we value safeties. Maybe that changes with Richard, who knows. Mebane isn't a big 1 tech, he's more along the lines of our 1 Techs. Wasn't he the DT 1 in Seattle when Richard was there? I know Antuan Woods was playing with a torn labrum but he's the same size as Mebane and the Rams ran all over us

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Again good thoughts BUT we don't draft or value 1 Tech DT's anymore than we value safeties. Maybe that changes with Richard, who knows. Mebane isn't a big 1 tech, he's more along the lines of our 1 Techs. Wasn't he the DT 1 in Seattle when Richard was there?

I'm hoping that it changes with Richard too. I don't know about Mebane, but I'm open to that if he's a solid 1 tech that we'd like to use. That would free us up to draft a Safety. Or, perhaps we get both. I like the idea as well of getting Tre Boston. He and Mebane would actually be quite reasonable signings, which Jones would like, but also quite productive I reckon.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Just had a quick look at Mebane, he's a bit old at 34, but he'd also be quite a good/cheap vet signing. If we do go his route, then I'd draft a 1 tech in round 4 or 5 to serve as insurance for Mebane.

northerncowboynation

Reaction score
I'm hoping that it changes with Richard too. I don't know about Mebane, but I'm open to that if he's a solid 1 tech that we'd like to use. That would free us up to draft a Safety. Or, perhaps we get both. I like the idea as well of getting Tre Boston. He and Mebane would actually be quite reasonable signings, which Jones would like, but also quite productive I reckon.

Not saying Mebane is the answer. First of all he's 34 years old. There are guys on here who have a much better handle on fits than I do. What I am saying is, if we're looking for the 320 pound plus run stuffing behemoth, we're probably going to be disappointed because the defense Seattle ran didn't have that. Mebane could get to the QB in his day

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Not saying Mebane is the answer. First of all he's 34 years old. There are guys on here who have a much better handle on fits than I do. What I am saying is, if we're looking for the 320 pound plus run stuffing behemoth, we're probably going to be disappointed because the defense Seattle ran didn't have that. Mebane could get to the QB in his day

Well, also, Mebane's been with the Chargers since 2016, and their defence was quite good these last few years.

northerncowboynation

Reaction score
Just had a quick look at Mebane, he's a bit old at 34, but he'd also be quite a good/cheap vet signing. If we do go his route, then I'd draft a 1 tech in round 4 or 5 to serve as insurance for Mebane.

Personally I like Gerald McCoy of the Bucs. He may be a cap casualty there. He's a 3 tech guy though. Undersized for nose. 300 pounds small :). He won't be cheap tho, six time pro-bowlers never are. Interesting off season as always

Last edited: