The Defense is not a Hot Mess

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by ninja, Sep 20, 2020.

1. Sydla

Sydla Well-Known Member

44,420 Messages
    66,019 Likes Received
    Seattle has a better defense than we do. Held the Falcons to 25. Forced two turnovers. Stopped them on four 4th downs. They performed better than we did against the Falcons. It's bizarre you might try to argue otherwise.

Look, if you want to convince yourself that this defense is actually good and not pretty porous, that's your right. But nothing about this game should indicate to you that this defense isn't that bad. They didn't do one thing good today. They didn't get off the field on 3rd downs consistently. They couldn't stop them on 4th down. They gave up 39 points. They forced zero turnovers. They had one sack. Falcons controlled the time of possession.

PS - I am sure you will want to point out that Ryan threw for 450 yards against Seattle but note, that almost 200 of them came when the game was 31-12 late in the 3rd quarter and was playing softer zones.

DuncanIso and 75boyz like this.
  2. CowboyFanInLexKy

CowboyFanInLexKy Well-Known Member

555 Messages
    437 Likes Received
    Didn't we have another DC here that was like that (Rob Ryan)?

AshyLarry06 likes this.
  3. Sydla

Sydla Well-Known Member

44,420 Messages
    66,019 Likes Received
    Was Ryan too complicated or just too aggressive to the point of stupidity?

4. CowboyFanInLexKy

CowboyFanInLexKy Well-Known Member

555 Messages
    437 Likes Received
    I think it was a combination of both to be perfectly honest.

5. 75boyz

75boyz Well-Known Member

2,501 Messages
    2,213 Likes Received
    Outstanding fact supported rebuttal.

6. Parcells4Life

Parcells4Life Well-Known Member

4,395 Messages
    7,263 Likes Received
    Lawrence is learning how to play in a 2 pt stance. The crime is the coaches not letting him play with his hand on the ground more until he’s comfortable in a 2 pt.

Remember what a fit Greg Ellis threw when Parcells made him convert. It’s not something guys develop instincts for in 3 weeks. The lack of OTAs and minicamps kill his transition.

7. JoeKing

JoeKing Diehard Zone Supporter

22,729 Messages
    19,420 Likes Received
    Leave the defense alone! They played well enough to allow this team to overcome a 20 pt deficit.

8. Colombiacowboy

Colombiacowboy Well-Known Member

1,220 Messages
    1,272 Likes Received

Just to clarify, Dallas actually fumbled 5 times in the first quarter, but Pollard's did not count because his elbow was down. Keep in mind the mind boggling failed fake punts as well...they might as well be turnovers. Also, Dallas D dropped two sure picks.

BigTimeBlues likes this.
  9. morasp

morasp Well-Known Member

5,229 Messages
    3,089 Likes Received
    And the team we just played at their home stadium just put up 37 points against our nearest competitors in Philadelphia

BigTimeBlues likes this.
  10. visionary

visionary Well-Known Member

19,795 Messages
    19,222 Likes Received
    THE biggest issue is that our DT get pushed around and our safeties are pathetic

Fix those 2 issues and the defense will “suddenly “ improve

and there are solutions at both sitting on the FA market

11. Streetwise

Streetwise Well-Known Member

14,680 Messages
    15,743 Likes Received
    The defense wasn't very good. Anytime you allow 40 points, regardless, it's not good. We pulled off a great win. But it wasn't because the defense bailed out. It was because the offense and special teams bailed out an awful defense.

DuncanIso likes this.
  12. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

98,083 Messages
    24,740 Likes Received
    I think defense was put in a bad situation vs an Alt that has a ton of weapons on offense. You put Alt at mid field of less vs most NFL teams they will put up the points. Dallas in that situation was able to hold them to 3 points on 3 or 4 of those situation and in the 2nd half the defense gave up only 10 points. I think defense will improve as they continue on.

13. Streetwise

Streetwise Well-Known Member

14,680 Messages
    15,743 Likes Received
    If it didn't count then it wasn't a fumble.

14. Sydla

Sydla Well-Known Member

44,420 Messages
    66,019 Likes Received
    Poe is a massive disappointment. It shouldn't be hard to just be a space eater at his size and he can't even do that.

visionary likes this.
  15. GMO415

GMO415 Well-Known Member

11,471 Messages
    18,595 Likes Received
    Def is GARBAGE.... Sea will destroy them..

DuncanIso likes this.
  16. xwalker

xwalker Well-Known Member

48,723 Messages
    50,141 Likes Received
    30-10 Cowboys-Falcons in the 2nd Half.

Results matter.

Doomsday101 likes this.
  17. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

98,083 Messages
    24,740 Likes Received
    I agree I also know that a dangerous offense like Alt if you give them great field position like the Cowboys did in the 1st qrt, they will make you pay. I don't care what defense they face. Cowboys offense did the defense no favors in that 1st qrt.

18. camaro69

camaro69 Well-Known Member

307 Messages
    261 Likes Received
    What happened to making the system fit the players? I don't know but you can run different looks from a 4-3 front. So why have the ends stand up? If you want to run a 3-4 why bring in Griffen instead of Clay Matthews. Why bring in a guy who is nearing the end of career as a hand in the dirt DE and make him stand up. Remember when this happened to D Ware he looked done until he went to Denver.

19. Future

Future Intramural Legend

26,030 Messages
    12,887 Likes Received
    They're basically the same, but Seattle doesn't have a good defense either.

20. Future

Future Intramural Legend

26,030 Messages
    12,887 Likes Received
    The only thing with the defense I don't get is how much off coverage they're playing. It wasn't as much of an issue vs. ATL, but they're simply not giving rushers a chance to get home, schematically.

BigTimeBlues and Aven8 like this.