The Defense is not a Hot Mess

Sydla

Reaction score
30-10 Cowboys-Falcons in the 2nd Half.

Results matter.

You are the king of cherry picking and slicing stats to fit your agenda. The defense was not good yesterday.

But kudos for ignoring 30 minutes of the game to prove your point. Then again, you are the guy who apparently argued Nolan was a good hire too.

aikemirv

Reaction score
Just to clarify, Dallas actually fumbled 5 times in the first quarter, but Pollard's did not count because his elbow was down. Keep in mind the mind boggling failed fake punts as well...they might as well be turnovers. Also, Dallas D dropped two sure picks.
Pollard was not even close to a fumble. He had been down for a good bit and was about to get up when the defender smacked it out!

Doomsday101

Reaction score
You are the king of cherry picking and slicing stats to fit your agenda. The defense was not good yesterday.

But kudos for ignoring 30 minutes of the game to prove your point. Then again, you are the guy who apparently argued Nolan was a good hire too.

I think defense has much work to do, however I will say with the weapons of the falcons you put them in short distance to the goal line as Dallas did in the 1st qrt they are capable of putting up points on any defense. Fact that in some of those cases Dallas held them to 3 were small victories for the defense. 2nd half defense played better giving up 10 points.

MCMetal69

Reaction score
Not a hot mess ? We're the only team in the league whose fans celebrate giving up only a field goal after a turnover rather than having a defense make a stone cold stop , never mind getting a pick or fumble recovery of our own............................

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Not a hot mess ? We're the only team in the league whose fans celebrate giving up only a field goal after a turnover rather than having a defense make a stone cold stop , never mind getting a pick or fumble recovery of our own............................

Hard to do when they recover the ball in field goal range to start the drive.

MCMetal69

Reaction score
No pass rush with Jones and Ridley is a recipe for disaster - It is that simple. You are not covering Ridley or Jones for that long.

Especially our DB's , who can't even cover a picnic table with a circus tent , apparently................

stiletto

Reaction score
The Cowboys are gonna catch a "L" next week....no more miracle luck. Wouldn't be surprised if Wilson hung a 50 burger on this defense...

Sydla

Reaction score
I think defense has much work to do, however I will say with the weapons of the falcons you put them in short distance to the goal line as Dallas did in the 1st qrt they are capable of putting up points on any defense. Fact that in some of those cases Dallas held them to 3 were small victories for the defense. 2nd half defense played better giving up 10 points.

When you have to find small victories, that's a sign the defense isn't all that good. Can it get better? I guess. I hope.

But at the end of the day, they gave up 39, were lucky it wasn't more, couldn't really get off the field on third downs or fourth downs, could only manage one sack and generated zero turnovers, which was supposed to a main focus of this defense this offseason.

That's just not a very good defense.

MCMetal69

Reaction score
Hard to do when they recover the ball in field goal range to start the drive.

Not claiming it's easy , but it's clear what our entire fanbase mindset has become after suffering through years of having a swiss cheese defense.................

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
Don’t worry folks. Xwalker will have a thread up in a few days declaring the Cowboys defense being actually been dominant and referencing his All-22 film study.

GroundZero1970

Reaction score
That atlanta offense is stacked.
Ryan
Gurley
Hurst
Julio
Ridley
Gage
They are really good.
Add in 3 turnovers inside our 40 and 2 fake punts that didnt work. Our defense wasnt stellar but not near as bad as being heralded. Average D at best

Doomsday101

Reaction score
When you have to find small victories, that's a sign the defense isn't all that good. Can it get better? I guess. I hope.

But at the end of the day, they gave up 39, were lucky it wasn't more, couldn't really get off the field on third downs or fourth downs, could only manage one sack and generated zero turnovers, which was supposed to a main focus of this defense this offseason.

That's just not a very good defense.

I think the defense will improve as we move on, the changes and groupings I think will evolve through out the season. Right now defense is not great but 2nd half was much better and again you put any defense in a situation where an offense is starting at your 35 yard line it is hard to prevent the other team from scoring especially an offense with the weapons Alt has. Last week vs Seattle Ryan had over 400 yards passing and 3 WR who went over 100 yards receiving vs a Seattle defense that is pretty good and they were not giving Alt great starting position because of fumbles like we did. Cowboys offense did us no favor in the 1st qrt vs a high powered offense.

Rayman70

Reaction score
the front 7 is getting better, but my gawd, the back end is just terrible. How many times the first 2 weeks have we seen guys wide open without a defender in sight? SOME guys were open by 20 yards. Its a comedy of errors back there. We better fix that fast. We look lost. Outside of Dlaw, I thought the front 7 looked better. Dflaw should be benched..injury or not. He just hasnt looked good.

Sydla

Reaction score
I think the defense will improve as we move on, the changes and groupings I think will evolve through out the season. Right now defense is not great but 2nd half was much better and again you put any defense in a situation where an offense is starting at your 35 yard line it is hard to prevent the other team from scoring especially an offense with the weapons Alt has. Last week vs Seattle Ryan had over 400 yards passing and 3 WR who went over 100 yards receiving vs a Seattle defense that is pretty good and they were not giving Alt great starting position because of fumbles like we did. Cowboys offense did us no favor in the 1st qrt vs a high powered offense.

Again, that Seattle/Falcons game is a bad comparison. The Falcons had just under 200 yards passing over the last 15-18 minutes as they were scrambling late being down 31-12 late in the 3rd Q. Seattle was playing softer coverages (which I never understand but teams do this all the time) and the Falcons started churning up passing yardage.

I just don't see why people have such faith in this defense getting much better given the personnel limitations and the fact Nolan hasn't been a good DC for some time. I mean I suspect they can get better than the crap defense they were yesterday but can they get good enough to be a real threat come playoff time? That's my fear.

Last edited:

Dallasfann

Reaction score
The defense wasn't very good. Anytime you allow 40 points, regardless, it's not good. We pulled off a great win. But it wasn't because the defense bailed out. It was because the offense and special teams bailed out an awful defense.

Hahaha this is comical. Did the defense have some amazing game yesterday? No of course they didn't. Did the offense absolutely screw the defense in this game..anyone with 2 eyes and a brain can see how bad our offense screwed our defense. Yet, we have a guy right here who says our offense bailed out our defense. Does anyone here watch the games or do just I? The average distance the Falcons had to go to score in the 1st quarter to score was less then 40 yards and 2 of those times less then 30 ALL BECAUSE OF OUR OFFENSE AND SPECIAL TEAMS. Love it. Our offense had to bail out our defense....hahaha so funny. Anyone who watched that game realized that the offense had to be bailed out by the defense and special teams. The defense had to be bailed out by the offense and special teams, and the special teams had to be bailed out by the offense and defense. They all had to bail each other out of bad games and they did and we won. That's all I give a **** about.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
Hahaha this is comical. Did the defense have some amazing game yesterday? No of course they didn't. Did the offense absolutely screw the defense in this game..anyone with 2 eyes and a brain can see how bad our offense screwed our defense. Yet, we have a guy right here who says our offense bailed out our defense. Does anyone here watch the games or do just I? The average distance the Falcons had to go to score in the 1st quarter to score was less then 40 yards and 2 of those times less then 30 ALL BECAUSE OF OUR OFFENSE AND SPECIAL TEAMS. Love it. Our offense had to bail out our defense....hahaha so funny. Anyone who watched that game realized that the offense had to be bailed out by the defense and special teams. The defense had to be bailed out by the offense and special teams, and the special teams had to be bailed out by the offense and defense. They all had to bail each other out of bad games and they did and we won. That's all I give a **** about.
About an 8 on the tension scale.

75boyz

Reaction score
Again, that Seattle/Falcons game is a bad comparison. The Falcons had just under 200 yards passing over the last 15-18 minutes as they were scrambling late being down 31-12 late in the 3rd Q. Seattle was playing softer coverages (which I never understand but teams do this all the time) and the Falcons started churning up passing yardage.

I just don't see why people have such faith in this defense getting much better given the personnel limitations and the fact Nolan hasn't been a good DC for some time. I mean I suspect they can get better than the crap defense they were yesterday but can they get good enough to be a real threat come playoff time? That's my fear.

Nice post. A very realistic example and expectation, well done.