The Defense is not a Hot Mess

TwoCentPlain

Numbnuts
Reaction score
Stopped reading.

Watch the game, then defend the defenseless. They were/are bad.

Yeah, defense needs to stop fumbling the ball 3 times in the first quarter and fake punt failing twice. Or wait, did that have no affect on the game in your opinion?

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Yeah, defense needs to stop fumbling the ball 3 times in the first quarter and fake punt failing twice. Or wait, did that have no affect on the game in your opinion?

Hey I agree with you. The offense completely screwed the defense.

That doesn't mean i'm going to ignore that they absolutely suck at covering.

Even the 1st game.. At the end of the day I blame our offense for score only 17 and 3 points in the 2nd half but the defense was getting ate up in that game even though they kept the point total low.

Sydla

Reaction score

But using those three fumbles to conclude the defense actually wasn't bad is equally silly.

The defense was bad. Don't overthink it.

mrmojo

Reaction score
That defense was terrible, if Atlanta had kept the pedal to the metal they would have won going away.....SB de ja vu. I dont know how it gets fixed, the talent just isnt completely there on the back side.

INCowboysFan

Reaction score
The line can’t get pressure, the LB’s miss tackles and the secondary gets torched.

Hot mess
Jaylon Smith has missed one tackle in 2 games (4.2% missed tackle rate). Joe Thomas hasn't missed a tackle yet. LVE missed 2 tackles in the 23 snaps he played (40% missed tackle rate). So really, LVE is the only one that misses tackles.

ChronicCowboy

Reaction score
Jaylon Smith has missed one tackle in 2 games (4.2% missed tackle rate). Joe Thomas hasn't missed a tackle yet. LVE missed 2 tackles in the 23 snaps he played (40% missed tackle rate). So really, LVE is the only one that misses tackles.

How about the times Jaylon runs away from the tackle? Does that not count.

INCowboysFan

Reaction score
How about the times Jaylon runs away from the tackle? Does that not count.
No, but that's not what you claimed in your post. Fact is, outside of VanderGlass, our LB's have been sure tacklers. Now, saying that Jaylon "runs away from the tackle" is an entirely different argument.

ChronicCowboy

Reaction score
No, but that's not what you claimed in your post. Fact is, outside of VanderGlass, our LB's have been sure tacklers. Now, saying that Jaylon "runs away from the tackle" is an entirely different argument.

ok....the defense still sucks

DuncanIso

Reaction score
Def is GARBAGE.... Sea will destroy them..

Agree.

could be another ugly game for the defense...

I wonder what the over/under is for Nolan on how many games he will get with this experiment?

I think its 10 games. 8)

#EdwardsForDC.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yea this defense is terrible, especially on the backend - they really need to make some moves and I would start by calling Earl Thomas tonight, that would give us a top 5 safety in the universe and I’d trade a #1 this year if a top tier CB becomes available because we can’t have Diggs guarding the #1 receiver on the opponents team, he’s just not ready (or that talented; we’ll see).
You would have better luck finding chicken toothbrushes than teams willing to trade a good CB. That position is in short supply, just take a look at the highlights from the games yesterday.

When did a NE D with the best CB in the game give up 5 TDs to a QB? And Wilson made that look easy.

blueblood70

Reaction score
Or in defense of the defense.
I did not watch the game yet. I only saw the 8 minutes of highlights and read about the game online and here so take it with a grain of salt.

1) The defense did at least force the Falcons to kick 4 FGs and not allow more TDs.
2) What can a defense do when the offense fumbles 4 times in the 1st quarter, losing 3. Seattle would have likely lost to Atlanta last week if they lost 3 fumbles in the 1st quarter in my opinion.
3) The Atlanta offense is a juggernaut. I am not sure anyone is stopping that offense.
4) Is the Seattle defense good? Compare the passing yard totals (granted Atlanta had some short fields which skewers the data a little).
Matt Ryan put up 450 yards on Seattle last week. Julio Jones had 157 yards, Ridley had 130 yards, and Gage had 114 yards, and Hurst had 38 yards.

Matt Ryan put up 273 yards on the Cowboys this week. Julio Jones had 24 yards, Ridley had 109 yards, Gage had 46 yards, and Hurst had 72 yards.

Seattle had two sacks and one INT against Atlanta. Dallas had one sack and a near miss INT (Worley) against Atlanta.

Seattle defense held Atlanta to 72 yards rushing. The Dallas defense held Atlanta to 113 yards rushing.

Maybe the Atlanta offense is just really good and hard to stop.

5) Do the Eagles have a good defense? The Eagles are supposed to have a good DL. Look what the Eagle defense at home did against the Rams.
Goff put up 37 points against the Eagles, 267 yards passing, 3 TDs, 1 sack, and 0 INTs. Rams rushed for 192 yards vs Eagles.
Goff put up 20 points against the Cowboys, 275 yards passing, 0 TDs, 1 sack, and 1 INT. Rams rushed for 153 yards vs Cowboys.

The Cowboy defense did a lot better against Goff in LA than the Eagles did playing Goff at Philly.

I think the more important question is how does the Dallas defense stand with Seattle and Philly right now with common opponents.
i was the only one trying to make this point yestrsday and today. Defense needs time to gel and get better but they weren't dumpster fire the first two games as most suggest..i already made these points within many threads,,

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I agree I also know that a dangerous offense like Alt if you give them great field position like the Cowboys did in the 1st qrt, they will make you pay. I don't care what defense they face. Cowboys offense did the defense no favors in that 1st qrt.

Yes, the Cowboys turned the ball over 5 times in the game (3 fumbles lost and 2 failed 4th down attempts on Special Teams).

blueblood70

Reaction score
Yes, the Cowboys turned the ball over 5 times in the game (3 fumbles lost and 2 failed 4th down attempts on Special Teams).
yup defense wasn't perfect by all means , however they were put in the worst field position all game, ATL basically played on our side of the 50 all day actually a few inside the 40 and one inside the 30 if memory serves me right??

cant jump all over the defense in game like that...

TwoCentPlain

Numbnuts
Reaction score
But using those three fumbles to conclude the defense actually wasn't bad is equally silly.

The defense was bad. Don't overthink it.

How many Atlanta points did the three 1st quarter fumbles and two failed punt returns lead to? How many of the three fumbles cost the Cowboys from likely potential points? Those are big point swings.

Point with the post is to compare the defense with other defenses in the league as a better gauge. Cowboy defense was equally as good as the Ram defense. Cowboy Defense is as good or close to the Seattle defense. Cowboy defense looks better than the Eagle defense. Cowboy defense is better than the Falcon defense.

Point is to not rate the defense as if they are in a vacuum. Games against similar opponents helps to better gauge where the defense is.

CooterBrown

Reaction score
Yes. The defense is bad. I think we all knew that the first part of the season the offense would have to carry the defense. The defense will get better. A new scheme with several new players. There will be mistakes in coverage, gap discipline, stunts, and communication. They have to get better. (fingers crossed).

On another note, Joe Thomas looked all-pro yesterday. Didn't he play in a similar style defense in Green Bay?

kskboys

Reaction score
Yes. The defense is bad. I think we all knew that the first part of the season the offense would have to carry the defense. The defense will get better. A new scheme with several new players. There will be mistakes in coverage, gap discipline, stunts, and communication. They have to get better. (fingers crossed).

On another note, Joe Thomas looked all-pro yesterday. Didn't he play in a similar style defense in Green Bay?
Joe Thomas is a blue collar hard nosed player who does his job. Love guys like him. Joe Thomas = Bradie James.

Generally, you don't know how much guys like him mean to your team until they're out.

kskboys

Reaction score
You would have better luck finding chicken toothbrushes than teams willing to trade a good CB. That position is in short supply, just take a look at the highlights from the games yesterday.

When did a NE D with the best CB in the game give up 5 TDs to a QB? And Wilson made that look easy.
Went right at him.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
I did not watch the game yet. I only saw the 8 minutes of highlights and read about the game online and here so take it with a grain of salt.

1) The defense did at least force the Falcons to kick 4 FGs and not allow more TDs.
2) What can a defense do when the offense fumbles 4 times in the 1st quarter, losing 3. Seattle would have likely lost to Atlanta last week if they lost 3 fumbles in the 1st quarter in my opinion.
3) The Atlanta offense is a juggernaut. I am not sure anyone is stopping that offense.
4) Is the Seattle defense good? Compare the passing yard totals (granted Atlanta had some short fields which skewers the data a little).
Matt Ryan put up 450 yards on Seattle last week. Julio Jones had 157 yards, Ridley had 130 yards, and Gage had 114 yards, and Hurst had 38 yards.

Matt Ryan put up 273 yards on the Cowboys this week. Julio Jones had 24 yards, Ridley had 109 yards, Gage had 46 yards, and Hurst had 72 yards.

Seattle had two sacks and one INT against Atlanta. Dallas had one sack and a near miss INT (Worley) against Atlanta.

Seattle defense held Atlanta to 72 yards rushing. The Dallas defense held Atlanta to 113 yards rushing.

5) Do the Eagles have a good defense? The Eagles are supposed to have a good DL. Look what the Eagle defense at home did against the Rams.
Goff put up 37 points against the Eagles, 267 yards passing, 3 TDs, 1 sack, and 0 INTs. Rams rushed for 192 yards vs Eagles.
Goff put up 20 points against the Cowboys, 275 yards passing, 0 TDs, 1 sack, and 1 INT. Rams rushed for 153 yards vs Cowboys.

The Cowboy defense did a lot better against Goff in LA than the Eagles did playing Goff at Philly.

I think the more important question is how does the Dallas defense stand with Seattle and Philly right now with common opponents.

The only way to evaluate this defensive performance is to subtract 15 points. When you turn the ball over and the opponent is already in field goal position, even a defensive stop is going to result in three. You can put the other 24 points on the D. Now ask, is 24 against a team with a pretty high powered offense a bad performance? It isn't great but it is clearly good enough to get the job done in most games.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Again, that Seattle/Falcons game is a bad comparison. The Falcons had just under 200 yards passing over the last 15-18 minutes as they were scrambling late being down 31-12 late in the 3rd Q. Seattle was playing softer coverages (which I never understand but teams do this all the time) and the Falcons started churning up passing yardage.

I just don't see why people have such faith in this defense getting much better given the personnel limitations and the fact Nolan hasn't been a good DC for some time. I mean I suspect they can get better than the crap defense they were yesterday but can they get good enough to be a real threat come playoff time? That's my fear.

Sorry disagree. Falcons have a slew of WR all capable of big plays and fact is the halftime score 14-12 vs Seattle as compared to 20-0 in the 1st qrt all set up with great field position off of 3 fumbles and a failed fake punt. Fact is you an offense turning the ball over around your own 35 is going to give up points, hell they are in FG before their drive even begins. I really do not care about other people faith, Dallas defense gave up 10 points in the 2nd half after the Cowboys offense stopped turning the ball over. I think defense has a lot to work on as they implement this hybrid defense they are putting in place and I think this group will improve as the season wears on. I'm not satisfied with defense but I don't share your overall feeling about this defense.