CFZ The Doomsday title must be earned

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I can’t tell you how cool it is to be talking about a potential Doomsday defense again. I’m not going to crown them with Doomsday name until they win at least a conference championship because the three previous Doomsdays all won conference and SB championships. So I’m tapping the brakes on giving them that name in October.

Some are already calling it “Doomsday III” BUT- It would actually be “Doomsday IV”. Here’s some history:
  • Doomsday I- 1966-74- 2 NFC Championships and one Lombardi. Bob Lily was the anchor along with Lee Roy Jordan, Mel Renfro, and Chuck Howley. Lily retired in 74 and so did Jordan and Howley.
  • Doomsday II- 1975-82- 3 NFC Championships, and a Lombardi- this was led by Randy White, Harvey Martin, Too Tall Jones, Cliff Harris, Hollywood Henderson.
  • Doomsday III- 1991-1996- 3 NFC Championships, 3 Lombardis. Led by Charles Hailey, Russell Maryland, Robert Jones, Deion Sanders, and Darren Woodson.
So if this defense can join the previous 3 Doomsdays, it will be Doomsday IV. But we shouldn’t crown them that until they earn it in the playoffs.

Here’s to hoping in Feb, 2023 we can name them “DOOMSDAY IV”.

cowboys1981

Reaction score
Yeah, I agree. We need to tighten up run defense. Going into yesterday we were allowing 137 ypg on the ground. Would love to see some improvement from the DT spot.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I can’t tell you how cool it is to be talking about a potential Doomsday defense again. I’m not going to crown them with Doomsday name until they win at least a conference championship because the three previous Doomsdays all won conference and SB championships. So I’m tapping the brakes on giving them that name in October.

Some are already calling it “Doomsday III” BUT- It would actually be “Doomsday IV”. Here’s some history:
  • Doomsday I- 1966-74- 2 NFC Championships and one Lombardi. Bob Lily was the anchor along with Lee Roy Jordan, Mel Renfro, and Chuck Howley. Lily retired in 74 and so did Jordan and Howley.
  • Doomsday II- 1975-82- 3 NFC Championships, and a Lombardi- this was led by Randy White, Harvey Martin, Too Tall Jones, Cliff Harris, Hollywood Henderson.
  • Doomsday III- 1991-1996- 3 NFC Championships, 3 Lombardis. Led by Charles Hailey, Russell Maryland, Robert Jones, Deion Sanders, and Darren Woodson.
So if this defense can join the previous 3 Doomsdays, it will be Doomsday IV. But we shouldn’t crown them that until they earn it in the playoffs.

I’m not sure we have to win a championship for our defense to coin the name.

If our offense isn’t championship caliber it won’t be the defenses fault.

Seems like to me we called Doomsday 1 before we won SB VI.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
It does for sure. But I won’t call these guys Doomsday IV until they win a conference championship like the other 3.
I’m not sure that’s the right approach . This offense is putrid. We’ve never had an offense ranked so low with one of our Doomsday defenses.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

https://magic-8ball.com/

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I’m hopeful once Prescott returns we can return to at least an average offense which could be enough for this amazing defense to carry it.

CowboysDrew

Reaction score
Yeah, I don't remember anyone calling Doomsday III that in the 90's while the run was being made.

There's still some question on whether or not that defense, as amazing and decorated as it was, deserved that title.

So, yeah, I'll hold off on calling them that for now.

I mean, why is everyone so eager to change it? I thought Hot Boyz was universally embraced and loved by all Cowboys fans, kinda like Jerry and Rowdy.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
All of these years I’ve been so critical saying we needed an Elite QB or Defense to seriously contend for a championship.

I believe we may have finally one of those on defense. The Cap era has mostly proven that you need to be great on one side of the ball and at least average to above average on the other side. And why even with this ferocious defense we need our offense to raise its production.

This is the most I’ve been excited in over 25 years with this defense but we must have more from our offense. Hopefully Prescott can provide the balance to our defense. Some of these games with our defensive effort shouldn’t even be close .

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yeah, I don't remember anyone calling Doomsday III that in the 90's while the run was being made.

There's still some question on whether or not that defense, as amazing and decorated as it was, deserved that title.

So, yeah, I'll hold off on calling them that for now.

I mean, why is everyone so eager to change it? I thought Hot Boyz was universally embraced and loved by all Cowboys fans, kinda like Jerry and Rowdy.
Lol….”Hot Boyz” will forever go down as the most premature nickname for a bunch of guys who hadn’t accomplished anything. Another reason not prematurely name this team. It’s clearly off to a great start. But the crowns aren't given until after something’s been accomplished in my view.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Lol….”Hot Boyz” will forever go down as the most premature nickname for a bunch of guys who hadn’t accomplished anything. Another reason not prematurely name this team. It’s clearly off to a great start. But the crowns aren't given until after something’s been accomplished in my view.
Then that view falls into the possible trap of only recognizing greatness by winning a championship.

I’d like to believe like we were initially in the 60’s that we can recognize greatness without the total team achievement.

Streifenkarl

Reaction score

Agreed. Alot of teams have nice streaks and when it matters in the playoffs they were nowhere to be seen. Including us lol. Titles are the one universal measuring unit.