The Elite QB Farce

ondaedg

Reaction score
How much difference does that make?

Which team will be easier to build around and probably stay a contender without as much support every year?

How much better and further does our team go with a QB like Mahomes?

There's no denying he's great. But how much in resources and time do you spend looking for that guy? For every Mahomes there's a Ryan Leaf using up your draft picks.

Dak has proven he can win and no he isn't as good as Mahomes or Rodgers but he's better than alot of QBs who have won super bowls. Get him some turnovers and some special teams play and we will win games.

ondaedg

Reaction score
There has only ever been one elite QB I've ever seen. Joe Montana.

There have been some great ones if they had the right supporting cast. Tom Brady. Rodgers. Aikman. Bradshaw. Even Staubach. Some others.

But there has never been anyone like Montana. Before or since.

He's the only QB I've ever seen that could win a playoff game deep in the playoffs virtually single handed if necessary.

Elite is off the table.

Now if you want to talk about great..............2nd tier really, we can have that conversation all day long.

And Dak is NOT one of them.

I would say good. Maybe even has the potential to be very good. And in today's NFL, that seems to command 30+ million.

Sad times.

Not sad times. It's what the football market is willing to pay him for his services.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Some around here talk like it only takes 1 person to win. The other 52 should just stay home. Tannehill is really making Vrabel look good. lol
Tannehil is a former 1st round pick. Stuck on a bad Dolphin team for years and injury riddled.

Henry is performing at a NFL record pace and Tannehill is making enough key throws to keep defenses honest. A couple of his pinpoint passes were key.

If KC can’t stop Henry they’ll be in trouble.

BoysForLife

Reaction score
The Cap has changed how teams are built and managed.

You have to pay your QB. It’s not like you can pay an average QB significantly lower than an Elite QB. There in lies a bigger issue.

The only time you can save money on a QB is Rookie contract. That’s the best window to win a championship with less than an Elite QB.

Agreed

Or next best get an elite QB via draft and win when he's on his rookie deal.

Joe Burrow come on down

ondaedg

Reaction score
Correct.

The cap implications of signing the QB long term are concerning.

No argument there.

But I do think it’s fair to say you don’t “need” an elite QB to win a Super Bowl. It certainly gets harder when the QB is making big money though, to build an entire team.

However, if you look at the QB lists. All of them named were either Good QB’s or get really hot and had streaks of excellent play.

which also tells me. If you move on from your current good QB and then Whiff on drafting one and have poor QB play. You can also bank on not winning a Super Bowl.

that happens very infrequently.

That's exactly my point. Dak is at a minimum a good QB with the potential to be a great qb. You let him walk and you run the risk of multiple years of poor qb play and draft misses.

BoysForLife

Reaction score
Wrong. Mahomes natural gifts would have been coached out of him. Because that’s what Garrett does. He did it with both Romo and Dak. He wasn’t good at enhancing the attributes of his quarterbacks. He instead tried to recreate Troy Aikman with smaller and more elusive quarterbacks. He should’ve developed systems to take advantage of their strengths instead.

I'm not saying that JG is a great coach

I am dogmatically saying that Mahomes natural gifts exponentially exceed Dak's and that would have made a huge difference on this team

Diehardblues

Reaction score
But he still took them further than they’d gone otherwise. That’s what Elite QB’s bring.

They can’t win it on their own . Just like with Aikman. But when they had enough talent won championships.

keysersoze

Reaction score
There has only ever been one elite QB I've ever seen. Joe Montana.

There have been some great ones if they had the right supporting cast. Tom Brady. Rodgers. Aikman. Bradshaw. Even Staubach. Some others.

But there has never been anyone like Montana. Before or since.

He's the only QB I've ever seen that could win a playoff game deep in the playoffs virtually single handed if necessary.

Elite is off the table.

Now if you want to talk about great..............2nd tier really, we can have that conversation all day long.

And Dak is NOT one of them.

I would say good. Maybe even has the potential to be very good. And in today's NFL, that seems to command 30+ million.

Sad times.
You must not remember the defenses the 49ers had back then? Roger Craig? Bill Walsh and the creation of the West Coast Offense that took the league by storm? Joe was not gifted enough to win anything on his own. He was developed through a particular system and flourished. Ya know? Like Brady was.

keysersoze

Reaction score

I am dogmatically saying that Mahomes natural gifts exponentially exceed Dak's and that would have made a huge difference on this team
Nobody has shown the gifts Mahomes has. He’s the Magic Johnson of NFL quarterbacks. So your point is?

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Dak blows Garrapolo out of the water. Jimmy actually had a really solid year, on par with the years people complained most about Dak, and he’s hidden by his elite D. He’s also made 80 million dollars over the past three years, to Daks 2.
That's what's funny to me. Jimmy G gets praised for having the type of year Dak has had in the past lol. Its hilarious lol.

keysersoze

Reaction score
But he still took them further than they’d gone otherwise. That’s what Elite QB’s bring.

They can’t win it on their own . Just like with Aikman. But when they had the talent won championships.
Montana’s TEAM was elite. Coaching included

ondaedg

Reaction score
Elite money today is average money in three years.

people freaking out about Dak’s payday don’t seem to realize that Mahomes is about to get over 200m and 40+ per year.

Was just thinking about Mahomes' payday. People need to quit worrying about Dak's hit to the cap because any qb we bring in is going to cost 20mil +.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score

Aaron Rodgers is considered the GOAT or one of them and he has 1 Super Bowl ring to show for it. As does Brees. And y'all hero Romo could barely scrape 2 playoff wins. Mahomes has the luxury of having a great coach. As as matter of fact...can someone name a QB that Andy Reid never got the best out of? Is it Kevin Kolb?

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
We pay Dak because it’s the going rate right now. We know we can win with him. Replacing him is more of a gamble than paying him. So what do you suggest? It’s ironic that I didn’t see much opposition to Romo getting paid for similar results though. Now all of a sudden the fans want frugality. SMDH

I disagree on romo, lots of fans were unhappy with that extension, especially after a 4th quarter game ending pick.

As far as dak goes it's tough. As I said I think you can win with dak. My concern is he get a shorter extension, and that I wouldnt do. If I resign dak it's for 5-8 years and I even try to front load some of that while I have cap space. If he wont budge and wants that 3-4 year deal so he can get another deal in a couple years I'm hitting him with the tag all day. Go for a championship next year then blow it up if I have to after 2020.