The Elite QB Farce

keysersoze

Reaction score
I disagree on romo, lots of fans were unhappy with that extension, especially after a 4th quarter game ending pick.

As far as dak goes it's tough. As I said I think you can win with dak. My concern is he get a shorter extension, and that I wouldnt do. If I resign dak it's for 5-8 years and I even try to front load some of that while I have cap space. If he wont budge and wants that 3-4 year deal so he can get another deal in a couple years I'm hitting him with the tag all day. Go for a championship next year then blow it up if I have to after 2020.
That’s a good idea.

keysersoze

Reaction score
Right. Same organization that was going to draft Johnny Football......same one that tried to get Paxton Lynch and Connor Cook. But now they are QB gurus now lol.
Seriously.... I have run out of reasons that they hate Dak so much. But love others who have not done more or haven’t done anything at all. Only a couple of reasons left come to mind. This is insane.

willia451

Reaction score
Montana was surrounded by an all star cast himself in SF ( while I agree one of the greatest) and why he couldn’t win a Super Bowl in Kansas City.
KC was late in his career. And Rice didn't come along until Joe had already won two SBs. But I get it.

starfan1

Reaction score
Dak is fine fix the Other crap we’ll be fine. We got closer to the super bowl the day after Garrett was shown the door.

what the tag going to be 28 mil? Compared to what 32 or 33. Cause Dak isn’t getting much more than that but those who think they can’t pay Dak and fix the other stuff is just on bs. They can you just don’t want Dak. Don’t hide behind the money argument be real and say you just can’t stand the guy. Jerry is an idiot in a lot of ways but you can bet if he wants Dak and wants to fix defense he’ll get it done.

byrons gone, coop will be here but not at what he wants if he won’t budge he can be replaced . There are a lot of things that the cowboys need but some of them will need to be handled in the draft

problem is their history of drafting those things isn’t strong

keysersoze

Reaction score
Dak is fine fix the Other crap we’ll be fine. We got closer to the super bowl the day after Garrett was shown the door.

what the tag going to be 28 mil? Compared to what 32 or 33. Cause Dak isn’t getting much more than that but those who think they can’t pay Dak and fix the other stuff is just on bs. They can you just don’t want Dak. Don’t hide behind the money argument be real and say you just can’t stand the guy. Jerry is an idiot in a lot of ways but you can bet if he wants Dak and wants to fix defense he’ll get it done.

byrons gone, coop will be here but not at what he wants if he won’t budge he can be replaced . There are a lot of things that the cowboys need but some of them will need to be handled in the draft

:clap:They will never admit that. The agendas would be revealed

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Right. Then people want us to go in the draft and find the imaginary franchise qb that'snot out there.
We dont know that. Is it a risk ? Sure. But I’m not fearful of the unknown. I’m not sure why we’d be anymore afraid of any other position if we were concerned we could replace them in the draft instead of over paying who we have.

But there are potentially a few first round type QB’s coming out. And we could still surround them with more talent on a Rookie contract that might not be taking away much from the QB position .

We haven’t been a playoff team 2 out of the 4 seasons . I’m not really sure what we’re risking ?

tyke1doe

Reaction score
How is it whenever we DON'T have an elite quarterback these topics pop up? :huh:

Reaction score
At a minimum, though, you do need to at least have a playoff caliber quarterback and a playoff caliber defense.

mattjames2010

Reaction score

The money matters....

I don't understand why you think overpaying for a player doesn't lol And, at this point, Dak might just wait until Mahomes gets paid so his contract goes up. Dak is not "fine".

keysersoze

Reaction score
We dont know that. Is it a risk ? Sure. But I’m not fearful of the unknown. I’m not sure why we’d be anymore afraid of any other position if we were concerned we could replace them in the draft instead of over paying who we have.

But there are potentially a few first round type QB’s coming out. And we could still surround them with more talent on a Rookie contract that might not be taking away much from the QB position .

We haven’t been a playoff team 2 out of the 4 seasons . I’m not really sure what we’re risking ?
Did you give up on Romo after 4 seasons?

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I've seen so much of that here. "Got to have an elite QB" and "can't get it done without that elite QB".

The only thing I agree with is that the Cowboys do not have an elite QB and he probably won't ever be considered that.

Brady, Brees, Wilson, Jackson, Watson all have been mentioned with as that old guard elite or the new guard. Mahomes is in that group and along with Rodgers, the only ones left in the playoffs and is Rodgers there because he's played elite this season or is it the RB and DE's? And the fact that Brees, Rodgers and Wilson only have one ring doesn't seem to matter.

Did you catch Brees, Jackson, Wilson and Watson trying to lift their teams? Or did you catch Tannehill in his last two playoff games with <200 yards? Which is it better to have? The QB to lift the team or the team to support the QB? Ask Brady, Brees, Wilson, Jackson and Watson.

This is not about Prescott, it is about every team has to build around the QB and Brees, Rodgers and Wilson are proof. Elway was elite and he wouldn't have any rings if not for a HC and RB and an offensive philosophical change..

Roger and Troy had to have teams around them, same with Starr, Bradshaw, Montana and Brady wasn't that bad this season, the team around him wasn't the usual standard.

It's one thing we've seen, different kinds of teams can do it different ways, there isn't just one template. Get that elite QB and ride the wave. This isn't baseball when they can ride a pitcher or two.

I do not think if the Cowboys had any of those elite QB's this season, it would have been much different.

Which is exactly why you don't pay Dak 35-40 million a year. You can't put a team around him when he's taking up 20% of the team's salary cap. .......and wrapping that up in a signing bonus to lower the 2020 cap hit only makes it worse and more costly in subsequent years. We do not need to follow the mistakes made in LA and Philly.

You franchise Dak. Make sure he can run MM's offense and draft a dam QB so we aren't left in a lurch if Dak isn't MM's guy.

Last edited:

starfan1

Reaction score
The money matters....

I don't understand why you think overpaying for a player doesn't lol And, at this point, Dak might just wait until Mahomes gets paid so his contract goes up. Dak is not "fine".
Then we’ll tag him twice but your argument that we can’t pay Dak and fix the other issues is horseshat cause they can.
At least in one of my conversations with you, you’ve at least admitted you can’t stand him stick to it .

I honestly don’t care but Daks going to be here whether you like him or not

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Eli, Eli, Flacco, Foles and Payton. Half of the ten were not very good QBs. Peyton as a shell of his former self along for the ride.

Not particularly outliers when it’s half.

Eli was elite when he won those super bowls. He's a HOF Qb.....maybe not first ballot but he'll get in eventually. Flacco and Foles played out their minds at the perfect time......elite performances. I'm assuming your talking about Payton in Denver in his last year which is one of the few times a super bowl winning QB didn't have a big hand in the teams success that year. If you want to talk great teams that didn't require great QB performances, there are a few like Tampa, Balitmore, the 85 Bears. But the overwhelming majority feature HOF Qbs.

garyo1954

Reaction score
Elite has nothing to do with whether a QB is a game manager, gunslinger, or improviser. Elite is used to say you are good at whatever type game you play.

All of then are game manager to a great degree. Some due to mindset, some due to system.

Crunch time is going to tell you what type QB you have.

Does he take the safe throw, the check down, the dump off and wait for the next play? (game manager)
Does he stand in and force the ball deep trying to make a play? (gunslinger)
Does he run around keeping his eyes downfield trying to make the best play he can? (improviser)

A game manager needs a superior run game and defense, no question about it.
The other two need a defense just good enough to keep them in the game where they have a chance to win it.

Game managers won't go halfcocked. They play it by the book. Their primary concern is not to put the team in a hole. Take care of the ball. Keep the chains moving. He's not a playmaker, he lets the playmakers make the plays. Wide receivers in this system post consistent numbers, but rarely qualify as game changers.

A gunslinger is not worried about down and distance or picks. He's fun to watch. He's trying to win. He will force the ball downfield. He's expected to be a playmaker, and the guy the team rallies around when they are down. WR with these QBs get a lot of press and accolades for the yards, touchdowns, and receptions but none of the flack for the picks and bad throws.

An improviser is not going to make any major mental mistakes but he will go downfield if the opportunity presents itself. He's a playmaker. He puts himself in the position to win and takes the best possible shots he's given. WRs are the same as with gunslinger types.

I think we all consider Drew Brees Elite. But Brees has a gunslinger mentality. He's an extremely accurate downfield passer, but not likely to challenge double coverage as, say, Aaron Rodgers would.

Tom Brady was considered a game manager a few years back and yet he has gunslinger tendencies while being a pure pocket passer. Rather than run he hits the deck and curls up around the ball (my first thought was like a baby).

Rothlisberger was an improviser in past years. He uses his feet to buy time and go downfield. Tony Romo, and of course, Rodgers.

Some QBs, (Tannenhill) don't have that quality to flip off the game manager switch. And what is Tennessee winning with? A bruising running game and defense that is shutting opponents down.

Dak needs to find that game manager switch this year. And figure out what he wants to be.