The end for Jason Garrett

The Fonz

Correctamundo
Reaction score
JJ still living in 2016 he has coach of the year and the steal of the draft quarterback.It will be 2 years more for him to wake up and do the change.
He is slow to admit mistakes

PA Cowboy Fan

Reaction score
Everyone talks about how much we suck. 1 or 2 plays go differently, and we could very easily be 4-3, or even 5-2.

Do we have problems? Yes. Am I frustrated by our lack of success? Of course! But nowadays, most teams are fairly even.
Practically every team can say that. There are very few blowouts in the NFL.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
THIS is the year Jerry fires him!

It's one of those predictions that will eventually be "right" if you just keep making it.

DCreppinBoysfan

Reaction score
This season is essentially over minus a huge run. Looking at the standing, the last three teams in the playoff picture(currently) we have all already loss to. The Seahawks, Panthers, and the Skins. That’s a huge hurdle for this team to climb. We haven’t shown anything to let us know we can go on a winning streak.

The more I think about it the more I believe that cooper trade was about as much for the future as it is this season. Garret’s job is safe for another year

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Everyone talks about how much we suck. 1 or 2 plays go differently, and we could very easily be 4-3, or even 5-2.

Do we have problems? Yes. Am I frustrated by our lack of success? Of course! But nowadays, most teams are fairly even.

Just also keep in mind that if we don't make that game-saving kick vs Detroit, we're just as easily 2-5.

LittleD

Reaction score
Here is a realistic scenario...

Richard gets officially promoted to DC and assistant head Coach. Linehan is fired. Jason stays. Jerry and Jason hire another OC to work with Dak and the offense.

Keep in mind I said realistic... Not ideal.

You're probably right but, I hope that smarter heads in the Dallas organization realize that keeping a failure at the HC can only prolong the agony fans feel about this franchise. My hope would be that Richard get promoted to HC and let him pick his own DC and OC.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Garrett will throw Linehan to the wolves to buy time before he goes down.

I certainly think he would if it were up to him. Garrett has scapegoated anybody and everybody he could in order to ensure his own survival.

But given Jerry Jones own words and recent actions, I honestly believe the clock is ticking - on everybody, including Jason Garrett. If there is truly "urgency", that applies to everyone, not just everyone other than the head coach. The fact is that it's the head coach's name that's attached to the win/loss record, because, it's ultimately his responsibility for them. I think that is finally, inevitably, sinking in for Jerry Jones.

If it's this easy to see from the outside, imagine how clear it must be from the inside:
  • Where are this team's biggest issues and failings? On the offense. Who's your top "offensive guy"? Jason Garrett.
  • Who is running Garrett's offense for him? Scott Linehan. Recommended and hired by? Jason Garrett.
  • Who's idea was it to get rid of the team's top receiver? Linehan. Again, hired and supported by? Jason Garrett.
  • Who decided to bring in Moore to coach quarterbacks, despite no experience? Linehan. Hired by Jason Garrett.
  • Who decided to get rid of Pollack? Linehan. Hired by Jason Garrett.
  • Who decided to hire Paul Alexander? Jason Garrett.
  • Who is ultimately responsible for all of these things? Jason Garrett.
The fact is that the only part of this team that's playing well is due to the guy you brought in from the outside, Kris Richard. And the part performing worst is the one that has been most heavily influenced by the decisions of? You guessed it, Jason Garrett.

LittleD

Reaction score
THIS is the year Jerry fires him!

It's one of those predictions that will eventually be "right" if you just keep making it.

We can all hope but, you know Jerry and his love for his adopted "red-headed" clapper.

LatinMind

iPhotoshop
Reaction score
Let us assume Jerry is smart. Next 6 games...

Titans, Eagles, Falcons, Skins, Saints, Eagles.

I see 2 wins so it is looking like 5-8. Jerry has to be under pressure to sell advertising, beverage contracts, apparel, hotel rooms, and luxury suites next season so he has to make a change. The natural choice is Richard but do you give this team to a first time coach? No. You fire Garrett and give Richard a trial. If he is GREAT you consider him but only if he is GREAT. The smart choice would be to bring in an established coach, even if from college. I am on the record with Shaw being my pick. My gut tells me Jerry will go after Riley or Herman. Both would be idiotic but anything is better than the current regime.

If the next few games go badly would you fire Red and see what you have in Richard? You have to kick the tires as making another mistake would kill the next decade. I think that is the smart play. Right?

You're crazy if you think the team will have problems selling the team to the public. Contrary to popular belief in this forum since you guys got the other one shut down and moved here, fans love this team and stick to being fans. They go to a game and experience a great setting at a Cowboys game, and then its over and they go home and move on with their week and go to work. And alot go back the following week.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I’m glad I’m not a glass half empty person. Must suck.

QuestionableFocusedEasteuropeanshepherd-size_restricted.gif

nightrain

Since 1971
Reaction score
Funny thing is, the Cowboys have enough talent to run the table. With our luck they get 9 wins and save Garrett's hide.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
There is no circumstance where he gets fired this season.

I disagree on that. Jones' recent comments are telling me differently. He's talking about "urgency" and "we don't have time", that applies to everyone, most importantly the man whose name is attached to those wins and losses.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
This season is essentially over minus a huge run. Looking at the standing, the last three teams in the playoff picture(currently) we have all already loss to. The Seahawks, Panthers, and the Skins. That’s a huge hurdle for this team to climb. We haven’t shown anything to let us know we can go on a winning streak.

The more I think about it the more I believe that cooper trade was about as much for the future as it is this season. Garret’s job is safe for another year

You had me until that last sentence. I agree with everything else you've said but I see no reason why it points to Garrett's job being safe.

zrinkill

Cowboy Fan
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
LOL 2 games?

This team will continue to win a game and lose a game .......... this is Garrets history and its not gonna change

He is an 8-8 coach.

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
We didn’t have this much issue with Romo. Maybe our 2 minute drill is more about our QB than HC?

If only we can find a coach to make Dak great again.
Yes we did have this issue with Romo. Examples: The Baltimore Ravens game in 2012 when we settled for a 51 yard FG attempt in windy weather instead of running another play trying to shorten the distance. Arizona Cardinals game in 2011 (the icing the kicker game) when we settled for a 49 yard FG attempt instead of running more plays to try and shorten the attempt. The end of the 1st half against the Packers in 2014 when Garrett rushed to call timeout after Witten was well short of the sticks, which allowed the booth to overturn the call during the timeout and force a 3rd down. Romo should have rushed the team to the line and taken advantage of the horrible 1st down mark or force an officials timeout saving ours.

Clock mismanagement has been consistently bad with Garrett regardless of who the QB has been.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
We can all hope but, you know Jerry and his love for his adopted "red-headed" clapper.

I agree that it is and has been an irrational fixation, but I think it's reached the point to where even Jones has grown tired of waiting for something that's never going to happen. I think that even he has finally realized that if Garrett doesn't turn this thing around, a change has to be made. No matter how painful, emotional, or uncomfortable, a change has to be made.

I think that's why they've been willing to made these drastic moves recently. They're doing anything and everything they can to salvage this season, but if Garrett can't, he's done. Accountability has finally come.