The end for Jason Garrett

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I don't think Garrett job is as safe as some feel. I do think it will take a turn around in this season and making post season or Garrett very well could be fired. As for Jerry showing his support to the HC, that is pretty normal for any owner/GM to publicly support his HC. Hell Cleveland owner said earlier in the year "Haslam said Jackson will not be on any kind of leash -- short or long -- following 0-16 and 1-15 records in his first two seasons. We're excited about Hue Jackson," Jimmy Haslam said. "I think our commitment to him has been unwavering It still is.". And now Jackson has been fired. Many here seem to think owner should publicly berate the HC as the fans do yet that rarely happens. Most GM will show support up until the day they fire the HC

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I don't think Garrett job is as safe as some feel. I do think it will take a turn around in this season and making post season or Garrett very well could be fired. As for Jerry showing his support to the HC, that is pretty normal for any owner/GM to publicly support his HC. Hell Cleveland owner said earlier in the year "Haslam said Jackson will not be on any kind of leash -- short or long -- following 0-16 and 1-15 records in his first two seasons. We're excited about Hue Jackson," Jimmy Haslam said. "I think our commitment to him has been unwavering It still is.". And now Jackson has been fired. Many here seem to think owner should publicly berate the HC as the fans do yet that rarely happens. Most GM will show support up until the day they fire the HC

I'm great with that. I have no problem with Jones not publicly trashing his coach and supporting him in public, for all of the reasons you stated.

And, like you, I don't think Garrett's job is safe either. I think this is it. Get this team to the playoffs or we're making a change. Enough time, enough excuses.

It's noticeable to me that even the few people remaining who think Garrett will be back can't actually come up with a valid reason as to why.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I'm great with that. I have no problem with Jones not publicly trashing his coach and supporting him in public, for all of the reasons you stated.

And, like you, I don't think Garrett's job is safe either. I think this is it. Get this team to the playoffs or we're making a change. Enough time, enough excuses.

It's noticeable to me that even the few people remaining who think Garrett will be back can't actually come up with a valid reason as to why.

I still like Garrett and hope he can get this turned around but bottom line is winning. You are right Jerry and the organization have given him time, Garrett has been able to for a lack of a better word save his jobs with unexpected season like 2014 where Cowboys were not looked at as a playoff caliber team yet made it then of course 2016 with Tony out and a rookie starting no one gave the Cowboys a snowballs chance in hell of putting up the season they did and along with that Coach of the Year award. Those event have saved Garrett job in my view but I think time is running out quickly. Getting Cooper and giving up the 1st rd pick to me is not some built in excuse for Garrett to get another year, I see it as Jones going all in and saying ok, now win.

CPanther95

Reaction score
Jerry has to be under pressure...

The only pressure Jerry is under is the pressure he puts on himself.

... and he tries hard to be very tolerant and forgiving of himself. He's probably doing yoga or has a self-esteem guru he's working with.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I still like Garrett and hope he can get this turned around but bottom line is winning. You are right Jerry and the organization have given him time, Garrett has been able to for a lack of a better word save his jobs with unexpected season like 2014 where Cowboys were not looked at as a playoff caliber team yet made it then of course 2016 with Tony out and a rookie starting no one gave the Cowboys a snowballs chance in hell of putting up the season they did and along with that Coach of the Year award. Those event have saved Garrett job in my view but I think time is running out quickly. Getting Cooper and giving up the 1st rd pick to me is not some built in excuse for Garrett to get another year, I see it as Jones going all in and saying ok, now win.

Same here.
:thumbup:

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
Let us assume Jerry is smart. Next 6 games...

Titans, Eagles, Falcons, Skins, Saints, Eagles.

I see 2 wins so it is looking like 5-8. Jerry has to be under pressure to sell advertising, beverage contracts, apparel, hotel rooms, and luxury suites next season so he has to make a change. The natural choice is Richard but do you give this team to a first time coach? No. You fire Garrett and give Richard a trial. If he is GREAT you consider him but only if he is GREAT. The smart choice would be to bring in an established coach, even if from college. I am on the record with Shaw being my pick. My gut tells me Jerry will go after Riley or Herman. Both would be idiotic but anything is better than the current regime.

If the next few games go badly would you fire Red and see what you have in Richard? You have to kick the tires as making another mistake would kill the next decade. I think that is the smart play. Right?
Garrett is not going.

With the FO having screwed the pooch with the WR and OL issues..

Garrett can not be blamed for the failures.

I think you have to hold the players responsible.

These players typically do not rise up and play the same from week to week.

The players have to take control like they did in 2016.

It was all for one.one for all and they were a big happy family.

Was Witten part of that?

Was Dez part of that?

Yes on both counts.

So ring your hands and make excuses but it's the players not getting it done.

And BTW..

#1 draft picks do not assure success.

Most of us think like the Raiders or Cleveland that a handful of picks will change things.

It won't.

Cleveland just fired their HC.

They should have.

But draft picks take alot of time to pan out usually.

It's the players.

cowboyec

Reaction score
I'll believe it when I see it.
most likely a change is made after next season,the last year of his contract...if they don't extend him.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Garrett is not going.

With the FO having screwed the pooch with the WR and OL issues..

Garrett can not be blamed for the failures.

I think you have to hold the players responsible.

These players typically do not rise up and play the same from week to week.

The players have to take control like they did in 2016.

It was all for one.one for all and they were a big happy family.

Was Witten part of that?

Was Dez part of that?

Yes on both counts.

So ring your hands and make excuses but it's the players not getting it done.

And BTW..

#1 draft picks do not assure success.

Most of us think like the Raiders or Cleveland that a handful of picks will change things.

It won't.

Cleveland just fired their HC.

They should have.

But draft picks take alot of time to pan out usually.

It's the players.

I disagree with virtually all of this.
:thumbdown:

Bob-Lillys-War

Reaction score
Jason Garrett won't go anywhere , if for some reason he leaves, it will be when he is good and ready .

If he doesn't leave on his own, then he will get a 5 year extension . Probably .

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Let us assume Jerry is smart. Next 6 games...

Titans, Eagles, Falcons, Skins, Saints, Eagles.

I see 2 wins so it is looking like 5-8. Jerry has to be under pressure to sell advertising, beverage contracts, apparel, hotel rooms, and luxury suites next season so he has to make a change. The natural choice is Richard but do you give this team to a first time coach? No. You fire Garrett and give Richard a trial. If he is GREAT you consider him but only if he is GREAT. The smart choice would be to bring in an established coach, even if from college. I am on the record with Shaw being my pick. My gut tells me Jerry will go after Riley or Herman. Both would be idiotic but anything is better than the current regime.

If the next few games go badly would you fire Red and see what you have in Richard? You have to kick the tires as making another mistake would kill the next decade. I think that is the smart play. Right?

I will say this...…………..…...If the Oline starts playing like a top 10 unit, we can beat all those teams. Not that we will. But we would have the ability.

THAT being said I agree with the 2 wins. I think we will beat Tennessee this week.

THAT being said I think no way Jones fires Garrett period and especially not until the season is over.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Jerry really likes Garret. He shows every sign of defending him until the bitter end. 8-8 is good enough in Dallas as long as everyone gave their best effort.

cowboyblue22

Reaction score
JJ still living in 2016 he has coach of the year and the steal of the draft quarterback.It will be 2 years more for him to wake up and do the change.
He is slow to admit mistakes
I have never seen so many fans and football people that are suppose to be smart refuse to believe what they see with their own eyes everyone still living in 2016 that year is gone and its pretty much been a train wreck with the coaching and qb since

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Fire Garrett, extend Garrett, none of it will matter untill the front office is under 1 man. Too many people making decisions that are vastly different appraoches to building a team have set this roster back. Jerry vs stephen vs McClay vs Garrett. Heck, Garrett doesn't exactly get to make personnel or coaching decisions he gets input but ultimately it's some one else making the call. So if Garrett leaves and this FO doesn't change then the next guy won't have the authority to make the changes he needs to be successful either. Things could absolutely get worse if they aren't careful.

mahoneybill

Reaction score
Here is a realistic scenario...

Richard gets officially promoted to DC and assistant head Coach. Linehan is fired. Jason stays. Jerry and Jason hire another OC to work with Dak and the offense.

Keep in mind I said realistic... Not ideal.

give me Romo as OC.... dreaming as he won't leave TV for it, but it would be good for Dak also