The fact that Romo never won the big one

ak47kaehu

Reaction score
Aaron Rodgers won a superbowl with like 50 guys on IR and no offense or defense.......just saying.......these good QBs make players around them better......

kevm3

Reaction score
We 'never got Romo a defense' because we completely stacked the offense to make the team Romo friendly. Romo has had Dez Bryant, Martellus Bennett, Demarco Murray, Jason Witten, Tyron Smith, Travis Frederick, Felix Jones among others.

Cowboy Brian

@BrianLINY
Reaction score
Was that Romo's fault? Just curious... & very interested in your perspectives.
Partially, sure, but not solely.

We had a joke of an o-line and a joke of a defense for most of his run.

We iced our own kicker.

We overpayed for a #2 WR who played like a #3 WR in Williams.

We didn't have the right players at the right times. We didn't get the right breaks (Dez penalty costing us the playoff game).

In an alternative world, with just a few plays going different ways, he would've held the Lombardi more than once.

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
We 'never got Romo a defense' because we completely stacked the offense to make the team Romo friendly. Romo has had Dez Bryant, Martellus Bennett, Demarco Murray, Jason Witten, Tyron Smith, Travis Frederick, Felix Jones among others.
Gave up picks to get Roy Williams and brought in Owens. Offense still sucked when the season was on the line with so many resources dedicated to it. Poor Ware only got a little help on the defensive side of the ball. Goes to Denver and gets to be part of a team defense and they carry Manning to a 2nd Super Bowl title.

They went all in on building around Romo and should have focused on building the defense.

Sarge

Red, White and Brew...
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Romo was a very good QB but i’ll be honest, whenever it was a win and your in game or some other big game, I was truly waiting for the worst to happen. My friends use to bust my chops ALL THE TIME. “Doesn’t matter what he does during the year, he will choke when it matters.” I heard that constantly. He was a very good QB, just not a great one as far as I’m concerned.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
I would say yes to some degree in 2007 and 2014.
In 2007 he was young cocky talented, but thought he was so good all he had to do is show up and play,
and they would beat the giants a 3rd time.
That team was SB caliber, at least to get there, I dont know about winning it. they would have had to play a vg NE team.
2014 He didnt play quite good enough and I didnt like him wearing the thermal outfit, rodgers didnt use one.
and Rodgers out played him as far as getting things done.

That Dez catch play should have been the short pass to bease who was open, a much higher chance of success on that,
and then they could also run the clock down.
Had dez caught that cleanly and scored, GB would have had too much time and our defense would not have stopped them.

Those were tonys 2 big chances, and he didnt do good enough, not saying it is all on him, but he could have done better.

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
Romo was a very good QB but i’ll be honest, whenever it was a win and your in game or some other big game, I was truly waiting for the worst to happen. My friends use to bust my chops ALL THE TIME. “Doesn’t matter what he does during the year, he will choke when it matters.” I heard that constantly. He was a very good QB, just not a great one as far as I’m concerned.
Same here. I can’t say I was waiting for the worst to happen because I did have faith that Romo could get the job done. However, I was hoping Romo wouldn’t be the one to make the big mistake which would be the nail on the coffin for the loss.But most of my friends has a ton of confidence Romo would screw up and I had to use all the excuses people use now to show Romo didn’t suck and the team could win with him at QB. Now those same excuses are used to try and prove he is some all time great QB who never had a shot to compete for a title.

Big_D

Reaction score

lol @ adding Felix Jones and Marcellus Bennett to that list like drafting complete slobs early is on the QB or ‘Romo friendly’ was devised by Romo himself. Even Murray who was actually used correctly for 1 season? Hard to believe that didn’t work. Maybe he hired the crap coaches too?

That term alone ‘Romo friendly’ tells you all you need to know. And they didn’t draft Tyron til he was 32? That wasn’t friendly at all.

Last edited:

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
Romo, an UDFA out of Eastern Illinois exceeded all expectations considering he was never even drafted.

Romo also became a very good/great golfer in that time frame,, golfing at that level requires a very dedicated and vast amount of hours, dedication to the sport in order to peak your game to even be considered worthy of PGA qualification.

Romo did what Romo wanted to do,, he made coaches look better and saved their jobs, and Romos covered up more mistakes from this FO then probably any player in this franchises history.

Does that make Romo worthy of ROH to this franchise, to Jerry? Yes, absolutely.

Should the ROH induction be about dedication and actually winning.. Yes, absolutely..

Are player considerations for this team about making the current owner look less old, drunk and stupid.....

Yes absolutely.

Last edited:

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Subtract management improperly supplementing the roster, key coaching gaffes, teammates execution miscues, untimely injuries, significant officiating calls and opposing teams' successes then factor in Romo's solo poor performances not caused by anything other than his own effort and finally weigh the importance of the quarterback position in the sport.

I estimate Romo accounts for 15% to 20% of overall blame during his run versus 80% to 85% of the blame held by the rest of the organization. For Romo, I would say at least 5% of his percentage can easily be attributed to his early tendancies to press in games, which caused those interceptions or fumbles that were no ones's fault but his own. He is definitely guilty of often trying to overcome almost typically expected shortcomings produced by the rest of the team during some games.

TexasHillbilly

Reaction score
No, it wasn't. It had glaring weaknesses in speed on defense. We could not cover any running backs out of the backfield at all. Sean Payton exposed their D in December and other teams followed suit.

Our best Romo team with a legit chance to win a Super Bowl was probably the 2009 team. We were playing really well at the end of the season (especially on defense) and may have beaten the Vikings in the playoffs if not for the early injury to Flozell Adams which caused us to have to reshuffle the offensive line in the hostile Metrodome atmosphere and a chance to go the Super Bowl.
The Vikes D ate us up. Romo was running for his life all day. Good job Vikes.

InTheZone

Reaction score
Everyone's fault

Maybe Romo could've thrown for one more completion somewhere and it changes everything. Romo could've did better in 2012 against the skins when the skins offense destroyed our defense, that was one game I was genuinely mad at him.

Maybe Crayton Or Austin catches a few of those passes for would be TDs in some games that were playoff clenching or against the giants in our divisional round and we're singing a different tune in the playoffs.

Everyone could always do better, the only time we never had a chance in the playoffs is our loss to the Vikings when the whole team was outplayed. Should've fired the entire coaching staff after that game.

If romo wasn't hurt in 2013 we had a chance as well. Its takes a team and luck to make it. I would say we rarely had luck on our side and for many of those years we were also fighting the refs (bottom 5 in penalties for several years)

CowboysRule

Reaction score
The 2007 divisional playoffs loss to the Giants is on him.
That's on Patrick Crayton stopping his route on two different plays. That's on the defense letting the Giants drive down the field with no resistance to score right before half-time. That game was in no way the fault of Tony Romo or a trip to Cabo. I wish people would know what they are talking about.

InTheZone

Reaction score
Felix and Dez were first rounders. Felix was a bust as he was acting like a 29 year old rookie because he was washed up after a couple years.

Romo got Smith after he was the starter for 4.5 years, so half of his career he had no 1st round rookie OL drafted.

Wth is Romo friendly? In 2007 we drafted Almost Anthony. Offensive rookies were James Martin, Isaiah Stanback, Doug Free, Deon Andeson...FAIL

08 - Offense Felix Jones, M. Bennett, T. Choice...FAIL

09 - Offense Robert Brewster, Stephen McGee, John Phillips, Manual Johnson...FAIL

10 - Offense Dez Bryant, Sam Going (OT)...Dez is the first offensive rookie to actually be consistently relevant on offense since Romo was a full time starter (Free was 50/50 in his career) and we didn't get see Great Dez until after his rookie year.

11 - Offense T. Smith, D. Murray, David Arkin, Dwayne Harris, Shaun Chapas, Bill Nagy. Our starting line consisted of Free (LT), Holland, Costa, Kosier, Smith (RT).

12 - Offense Danny Coale, James Hanna...FAIL

That is a lot of misses on offense for 6 drafts to go with the team consistently finishing bottom 5 in penalties, a 50/50 line, and a defense that couldn't cover in the secondary.

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
That's on Patrick Crayton stopping his route on two different plays. That's on the defense letting the Giants drive down the field with no resistance to score right before half-time. That game was in no way the fault of Tony Romo or a trip to Cabo. I wish people would know what they are talking about.
Him missing a wide open Terrell Owens in the red zone on 3rd down is his fault. That was the difference between scoring 21 points vs. 17 points and possibly even leading to a game winning FG attempt on the final drive instead of Crayton stopping his route and Romo then throwing a desperation interception on 4th down. So, yes, there was still fault from Romo in that game.