CFZ The Fall of the Dallas Cowboys

phildadon86

Reaction score
I apologize in advance, but this is going to be a long read.

Where did it all go wrong? What is the hinderance on this franchise that sees them have early round exits in the playoffs when they get there?

The time of this goes back to the 1993/1994 season when the owner decided to fire the head coach because he wasn’t getting his due. The arrogance and narcissism at that point in time was evidence. Sure, they won again with Switzer but that was Jimmy’s team. The owner of this team put his own ego and need to do it his way in front of probably one of the best built teams we have ever seen. Why? So, he could prove to the football world that he could win his way.

Fast forward 27 years. He hasn’t. It has been catastrophe after catastrophe and debacle after debacle. There are so many things I could dive into but there is one major underlying issue with this team that I believe is the biggest thing holding them back. The culture.

The owner of this team has employed his family at almost every single important position. The only one really pulling their weight is his daughter. His son who has bungled pretty much every negotiation he has been involved in has no one to answer to. If any other GM gave Jaylon Smith that deal, they would have been kicked to the curb. Not in Dallas. Where nepotism and favoritism reign supreme over logical thought, and prudency.

The culture this family has cultivated deep inside this team is one of arrogance, superiority, fame, and brand, all prior to winning. The owner can give us lip service all he wants about how he would do anything to win, however we have seen countless times that just isn’t the case.

Appearing on every single microphone and camera he can, his primary focus is promoting the BRAND of the Dallas Cowboys. It is in no way shape or form what any GM with some semblance of accountability would do after 27 years of no success. He has slapped fans in the face countless times with untimely family vacations, inability to put together a good offense and defense, horrible risk taking in the second rounds of drafts, and overall, his inability to stop being a fan of this team, and start being the GM of this team. This “brand promotion” has now filtered down into the players on the field.

Players using their off days to appear on TV shows, players who tell everyone to “watch the tape” while then promoting their sunglass companies, players who all in all don’t seem to really care if they win or not because in their heads, they already have. The players in Dallas are coddled to the point where there is no accountability for bad play, no punishment for untimely penalties, no nothing. The culture of this team is that of a business. Promote the brand, don’t damage the brand, and if you win cool. If not, it isn’t the end of the world because. You’re a Dallas Cowboy. You are already a rockstar and get treated as such. Why put your body on the line for an owner/GM that only cares about winning the Forbes Superbowl every season? Why risk your life for an Owner that would rather be on TV then on the phones trying to replace the HOF left tackle that just probably ended his career?

The answer. He doesn’t care. He knows like we do that he will sell out every game, get the most ratings, and if a playoff run happens in the meantime. More money for him. This front office is so arrogant that they actually believe that they are so much better at drafting than everyone else, that having a swing tackle in place to replace Tyron if/when he gets hurt wasn’t even on their radar. That is yet another complete failure on their part. The culture of this team needs to change.

Unfortunately, I don’t see that happening. The best defensive player the Cowboys have had in years has now been infected with this culture. Will that translate to him not performing the same on the field? Time will tell. But after getting knocked out of the playoffs at home and being dominated in that fashion after making statements about “where I am from the bully gets bullied” the last place this player should be is mouthing off on TV once a week, regardless of if it is only 15 minutes.

This is the end of my rant, but in conclusion. This team needs a culture change in a bad way. It needs an owner that will sign checks and watch games. Not sit in on coaching meetings, tell the coach who should be “featured” and most certainly not on TV talking about the playoffs the same day a legend of your team just had possibly a career ending injury.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score

Where did it all go wrong? What is the hinderance on this franchise that sees them have early round exits in the playoffs when they get there?

The time of this goes back to the 1993/1994 season when the owner decided to fire the head coach because he wasn’t getting his due. The arrogance and narcissism at that point in time was evidence. Sure, they won again with Switzer but that was Jimmy’s team. The owner of this team put his own ego and need to do it his way in front of probably one of the best built teams we have ever seen. Why? So, he could prove to the football world that he could win his way.

Fast forward 27 years. He hasn’t. It has been catastrophe after catastrophe and debacle after debacle. There are so many things I could dive into but there is one major underlying issue with this team that I believe is the biggest thing holding them back. The culture.

The owner of this team has employed his family at almost every single important position. The only one really pulling their weight is his daughter. His son who has bungled pretty much every negotiation he has been involved in has no one to answer to. If any other GM gave Jaylon Smith that deal, they would have been kicked to the curb. Not in Dallas. Where nepotism and favoritism reign supreme over logical thought, and prudency.

The culture this family has cultivated deep inside this team is one of arrogance, superiority, fame, and brand, all prior to winning. The owner can give us lip service all he wants about how he would do anything to win, however we have seen countless times that just isn’t the case.

Appearing on every single microphone and camera he can, his primary focus is promoting the BRAND of the Dallas Cowboys. It is in no way shape or form what any GM with some semblance of accountability would do after 27 years of no success. He has slapped fans in the face countless times with untimely family vacations, inability to put together a good offense and defense, horrible risk taking in the second rounds of drafts, and overall, his inability to stop being a fan of this team, and start being the GM of this team. This “brand promotion” has now filtered down into the players on the field.

Players using their off days to appear on TV shows, players who tell everyone to “watch the tape” while then promoting their sunglass companies, players who all in all don’t seem to really care if they win or not because in their heads, they already have. The players in Dallas are coddled to the point where there is no accountability for bad play, no punishment for untimely penalties, no nothing. The culture of this team is that of a business. Promote the brand, don’t damage the brand, and if you win cool. If not, it isn’t the end of the world because. You’re a Dallas Cowboy. You are already a rockstar and get treated as such. Why put your body on the line for an owner/GM that only cares about winning the Forbes Superbowl every season? Why risk your life for an Owner that would rather be on TV then on the phones trying to replace the HOF left tackle that just probably ended his career?

The answer. He doesn’t care. He knows like we do that he will sell out every game, get the most ratings, and if a playoff run happens in the meantime. More money for him. This front office is so arrogant that they actually believe that they are so much better at drafting than everyone else, that having a swing tackle in place to replace Tyron if/when he gets hurt wasn’t even on their radar. That is yet another complete failure on their part. The culture of this team needs to change.

Unfortunately, I don’t see that happening. The best defensive player the Cowboys have had in years has now been infected with this culture. Will that translate to him not performing the same on the field? Time will tell. But after getting knocked out of the playoffs at home and being dominated in that fashion after making statements about “where I am from the bully gets bullied” the last place this player should be is mouthing off on TV once a week, regardless of if it is only 15 minutes.

This is the end of my rant, but in conclusion. This team needs a culture change in a bad way. It needs an owner that will sign checks and watch games. Not sit in on coaching meetings, tell the coach who should be “featured” and most certainly not on TV talking about the playoffs the same day a legend of your team just had possibly a career ending injury.

eagles have a better GM anyway. As soon as they get a qb it’s over. They may win the division with hurts as it is.

lkelly

Reaction score
Based on insane team valuations, Jerry doesn't have any idea what your "fall" concept is. He's winning by his scorecard, plus he got his mustard colored jacket to show off to his yachting buddies.

MountaineerCowboy

Reaction score
The culture change will have to come from the players.

The star players are going to have to change things.

I feel like the organization will offer you the easy road on a silver platter, but it's going to take the players refusing this to change anything. They are going to have to want to get better instead of taking any opportunity to slack.It's very tempting to get paid the money they get and be able to get by with the least amount of effort. We have NO dogs on this team except Martin and Parsons it seems.

The star players right now, besides Micah (and he's starting to worry me), are probably too far down the easy road to turn around now. So it's going to take the younger guys to not only want better, but expect better from everyone around them.

The "I'm a football player, but this celebrity lifestyle is great" culture that has been built in Dallas is going to have to be overtaken by "I'm a football player and I want to be a champion" type of players.

phildadon86

Reaction score
The culture change will have to come from the players.

The star players are going to have to change things.

I feel like the organization will offer you the easy road on a silver platter, but it's going to take the players refusing this to change anything. They are going to have to want to get better instead of taking any opportunity to slack.It's very tempting to get paid the money they get and be able to get by with the least amount of effort. We have NO dogs on this team except Martin and Parsons it seems.

The star players right now, besides Micah (and he's starting to worry me), are probably too far down the easy road to turn around now. So it's going to take the younger guys to not only want better, but expect better from everyone around them.

The "I'm a football player, but this celebrity lifestyle is great" culture that has been built in Dallas is going to have to be overtaken by "I'm a football player and I want to be a champion" type of players.
I dont think we have had a player like that since Dez. Parsons is starting to worry me too. A lot.

elcowboi

Reaction score

The owner sold his soul for a Superbowl w/o Jimmy. We as fans have to suffer because of it.

MyFairLady

Reaction score
At the end of the day everyone will hate Jerry. It just depends on how long you can wait before you snap. You go from a Jerry defender to a Jerry hater overnight because you can no longer tolerate the nonsense. Personally I help out longer than most. The Jaylon Smith debacle was the last straw for me. Given enough time there will not be a single Jerry supporter left.

Creeper

Reaction score
While I agree that Jerry is in large part the issue with the Cowboys, I would say he has gotten better over time. We have to be honest, their drafting has gotten better. They have fielded some good teams with impressive records over the years. But after so many years, it is taking Jerry too long to "get it". The biggest problem with Jerry is he demands control of the team in ways good owners would never want. It effects his choices for HC, as we saw with Jason Garrett. Garrett had good teams, but he was not good enough as a HC to take them deep into the playoffs.

Right now the biggest problem with the Cowboys is their CAP management strategy. By this I mean their unwillingness to sign top tier free agents. This belief that they can build through the draft alone is pure folly. No one can draft enough quality players to win a super bowl. You have to use all the tools at your disposal which includes trades and free agency. I'd like to go into a season with questions like, will my team play to their potential or can we avoid injuries. Not questions like who is going to play LG or who plays LT because my LT is sure to miss multiple games this year.

Also, for a guy who is so proud of his business record I am amazed at how Jerry is taken advantage of with every deal he makes. Giving up a #1 for Cooper, then only getting a 5 back should be embarrassing for most GMs. Not Jerry. He thinks he made a good decision there.

This year, something else is afoot. The Cowboys dumped players and did not get equal replacements. They are resisting signing decent depth at OT after cutting La'el Collins. Even that deal is a mystery to me. Why cut Collins at all? Cap save you say? Maybe, but they didn't spend that CAP save, so what was the rush cutting him? The Cowboys are sitting on $21 million in CAP space with the season about to begin in 2 weeks. I have no idea what Jerry is thinking but WR, OL and DE are bigger issues this year than last year and I have not seen any motivation to fix these problems. It is weird.