The false perception Stephen is running Cowboys Football

cern

Reaction score
We have billions who still can’t agree on scientific evidence which clearly presents facts to support their theories on one of the greatest issues of this era.

But the facts can’t be refuted . Only the causes, effects and solutions are spun from these facts to support their beliefs, opinions and narrative.

We aren’t disputing the facts that there are greater decisions being made with Cowboys Football which we’ve seen before when Jerry’s has greater influence. That doesn’t mean Jerry still isn’t allowed the final word. All key people in power have advisers and consultants but they still make the final decision.

We currently collaboratively have a good core of influence with Jerry that are shaping the current culture but that doesn’t mean Jerry isn’t still the final word running Cowboys Football.
he is the final word on some issues, but apparently no longer when it comes to personnel decisions. those are Stephen's purview.

CowboyFanInLexKy

Reaction score
I don't think you are very far from apart from my opinions; whereas, the OP is completely the opposite of my opinions.

I don't know that it really matters what we as fans think; however, the concept of the OP not being able to understand anything that is not spelled out in black and white seems to be a recurring issue at CZ.

People like the OP think that their lack of knowledge is proof of something. If there is not a "link" clearly explaining something, then they'll refuse to believe even the most obvious indications on an issue.

It makes me think of the difference between men with regards to women. Some men just don't function well when it comes to "dating" while other men are much better at it. With most women the man must understand non-verbal communication and many things that are very subtle. Some men think that anytime a pretty girl is nice to them that it means the girl is interested.

I'm a big fan of Jerry and always have been.

I've defended criticism about him in regards to issues like how he fired Landry, etc..

I've said the Cowboys would NOT have won the 3 Super Bowls in the Nineties if Jerry had not purchased the team.

I've said that Jerry won 3 Super Bowls in what is now 30 years which is still a better SB win rate than Landry at 2 in 29.

Having said that, I think we all know Jerry has made some big mistakes, often because of emotion/ego.

The only employees that he has had that would say no to him were Jimmy and Parcells.

Stephen Jones has evolved into someone that can say no to Jerry because he is not an employee per se.

All owners have the final say. Kraft can over-rule Belichick if he wants to do it.

Most of the media believe that Belichick was grooming Jimmy Garoppolo to be the next QB for the Pats and that Kraft said no possibility of Brady departing.

I think we all know that Jerry is never going to officially give up the GM Title. He didn't give it to Parcells despite Parcells appearing to have as much power as most GMs.

It "seemed" that Jerry and his people convinced Parcells to take Ware first. It did not appear that Jerry directly over-ruled Parcells.

Jerry should definitely get credit for being the tie breaker in 2013 when Ciskowski and Garrett wanted to draft the DT Floyd and Marinelli said Floyd was not worth it in his scheme.

That 2013 debacle where Ciskowski didn't work with ALL of the coaches when putting together the draft board was the final straw and Will McClay was promoted above Ciskowski prior to the 2014 draft.

Stephen Jones appeared to have been on the Marinelli side of that difference of opinions.

After that draft, Stephen Jones when asked about Ciskowski “I don’t want to single a guy out, but ... It won’t happen again."

It was shortly after that comment that Will McClay was promoted above Ciskowski.

Then in 2014 they picked Zack Martin over Manziel. Jerry talked about wanting Manziel both before and after that draft. He lamented that he was "sick" that they might regret the decision.

Jerry again used the "I'm sick" reference in 2016 when they didn't trade up and draft Paxton Lynch. He literally said on the radio after that draft that it makes him mad to think about not getting Lynch.

If you listened to the interviews with Jerry and Stephen that year, it was abundantly clear that not drafting Lynch was an SJones decision and that Jerry would have preferred to make the trade.

Jerry and Stephen each have a weekly radio show during the season. I can't imagine anybody that listens to those does not believe that the Cowboys are operating under the SJones plan. The plan being to focus on the draft, avoid big dollar outside free agents, sign low level free agents to fill the gaps, clean up the cap in preparation to sign their own draft picks to 2nd contracts, etc..

SJones explained on radio all of the details about the process leading up to the Amari Cooper trade. He went into detail about getting word late in the week the Raiders were shopping Cooper, SJones telling the Raiders to give him until Monday, then the staff spending the weekend reviewing all aspects of trading for Cooper and finally to Monday when they agreed on the trade.

The DLaw negotiations also showed that SJones was in charge of negotiating that contract. DLaw's agent did multiple interviews afterwards and there was no doubt that Stephen was making the decisions and that Jerry was not involved.

The last time that Jerry appeared to over-ride SJones was in 2015 when they signed Dez to the big contract. This one is not quite as obvious as the other issues I've outlined above, but SJones said before that contract that they have the Franchise Tag for a reason and that they had planned from a cap perspective to be able to carry a player on the Franchise Tag without it putting them in a bind like it had in some years past.

Fast forward to April 2018 when the Cowboys cut Dez. Again, it seems also impossible for anybody that listened to all of the interviews afterwards with Jerry, Stephen and Garrett that Jerry/Garrett wouldn't have cut Dez if strictly making the decision themselves. On the flip-side SJones was almost giddy about it.

On the downside of the SJones decisions, in Feb/March of 2018 he basically empowered Linehan to have full control of all decisions on offense. SJ again in a radio interview, used the example of how it was "not really fair" back when they had Bill Callahan calling plays but didn't empower him to have control over the offense.

Side Note on Callahan: It was 2013 when Callahan called plays and it was often discussed here how Garrett would never really acknowledge when questioned by the media that Callahan would call the plays. It's also well known that Callahan departed the Cowboys for the same job with the Skins despite the Joneses trying to get him to stay. The reason he departed is because he and Garrett basically hated each other and that appears to have started back in 2012 with disagreements over OLine starters and escalated to a point that Jerry forced them to compromise and rotate 2 players at a position.

Some issues where Jerry did appear to exert some influence since 2014:

Randy Gregory: Jerry had multiple discussions directly with Gregory during the draft. According to Jerry he didn't really force the pick of Gregory but he repeatedly made it clear to everyone that he would "take the blame" if the Gregory pick failed due to character/weed related issues.

Jaylon Smith: Similar to Gregory, Jerry repeatedly made it clear that he would "take the blame" if Jaylon couldn't play due to the injury.

Jerry's explanation of "I'll take the blame" points to him not really being the one directly making the picks.

Jerry should get an A for the input on the Jaylon pick.

Most people would give the Cowboys a fail on Gregory but for me that's a grade of Incomplete. Gregory does not accrue time towards true free agency for the seasons that he is suspended and not on the 53 man roster for at least 6 games. His contract will expire but he'll be a restricted free agent until he has 4 accrued seasons of service. It does not take up a roster spot when he is suspended and he does not get paid.

The OP seems desperate to maintain that Jerry is making all GM type decisions because he wants to be able to blame Jerry for all mistakes.

The OP took comments that I made in his other thread and then created this completely new thread in an attempt to dispute that SJones is functioning like the GM for most other teams.

Great thought out response and I 100% agree with this... Whether or not Jerry is running things or Stephen is running things, we don't know. Unless someone (that is officially on the inside) tells us (which I highly doubt) we'll never know who it is running things.

People just have an agenda and do what they can to support it.

Last edited:

Diehardblues

Reaction score
he is the final word on some issues, but apparently no longer when it comes to personnel decisions. those are Stephen's purview.
Again your confusing or interpreting the influencing factor as the final word. Even if Jerry goes against his instinct with Stephens influential decision , it’s still Jerry’s final word.

In my early years in business I was often my fathers greatest influence but make no mistake that when the decision was made it was definitely his final word even if the buzz around the decision leaned towards my influence. Everyone knew how powerful my influence was with my father yet without his final word or stamp of approval didn’t carry the same weight.

Think about it. Not once have we heard Jerry come out publicly and said, this was Stephens final decision I went with even though it was totally against what I wanted to do. No doubt Jerry wanted to keep Dez for example. But he didn’t come out and say. After listening to Stephen , I decided to go against my instincts.

This is the role of close advisors and influences. To shape their leaders policies and decisions. Stephen obviously along with Jason and Will have had more of Jerry’s ear in recent years. But I wouldn’t conclude Stephen is running Cowboys Football. Anymore than I’d conclude I was running our company while my father was still alive.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
He is more of the final influence not final word. There’s a difference.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
You can't even compare Belecheks Cleveland years to anything in the modern era. He was there prior to free agency when it took many years to build a team. He had Cleveland competitive and took steps forward every year. His error was letting Bernie Kosar leave without having a better option. His 4th year imploded due to the offense and poor QB play.

In any case, you could make the argument that his greatness wasn't quite as obvious in Cleveland b/c the results were not there. But, it can't be questioned now.

Free agency as we know it today started in 1993 in the middle of belicheat's years in cleveland. Second, the first couple of seasons he had to play by the rules as every other team which he didn't do so well at. When I brought up belicheat's total record in cleveland I wasn't comparing those years with today only comparing it to the other teams of that time and he had a losing record.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
some opinions are based on good old fashioned sense. when jerry says dez will be a cowboy in 2018 and Stephen says he's a distraction that must be dealt with, and then dez is released outright, draw your own conclusion. common sense suggests Stephen made the decision. and it was a big one. when jerry says romo will regain his job when he returns from injury and dak remains the qb, common sense suggests stephen overrode jerry on that one, too. and these were two of the biggest decisions made by the cowboys in years. glean from those events what you will. and by the way, the egg came before the chicken. again, genetic commom sense.

OR, Stephen convinced Jerry and then Jerry RELEASED Bryant. You zero proof that Stephen made that decision and acted upon it without Jerry's approval. Where is your verifiable proof that Stephen told Garrett to keep Romo on the bench? Common sense is great for making your own decisions but you need to be there in the room hearing all conversation or have direct verifiable quotes from someone or have a really good crystal ball to know as facts (using common sense or not) what was said between people.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Free agency as we know it today started in 1993 in the middle of belicheat's years in cleveland. Second, the first couple of seasons he had to play by the rules as every other team which he didn't do so well at. When I brought up belicheat's total record in cleveland I wasn't comparing those years with today only comparing it to the other teams of that time and he had a losing record.

Sure, but free agency didn't makeover the league the day it started. It took years for the effects of it to be felt. Belechek was competing against real dynasties. Those Bills teams rules the AFC and it took years of free agency for the tolls to be taken on the better teams.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
Sure, but free agency didn't makeover the league the day it started. It took years for the effects of it to be felt. Belechek was competing against real dynasties. Those Bills teams rules the AFC and it took years of free agency for the tolls to be taken on the better teams.

You're to hung up on free agency. EVERY team plays by the same rules regardless of what era it is. Regardless of what era it is if a coach has a losing record its a losing record against the rest of the league that is using the same rules. Because belicheat couldn't build a team as quickly as they can today does not make his losing record any less losing then when all other teams didn't have free agency either.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You're to hung up on free agency. EVERY team plays by the same rules regardless of what era it is. Regardless of what era it is if a coach has a losing record its a losing record against the rest of the league that is using the same rules. Because belicheat couldn't build a team as quickly as they can today does not make his losing record any less losing then when all other teams didn't have free agency either.

It matters if he inherited a losing franchise in an era where you can't just hit the reset button and sign a new team in the off season.

I'm not sure how anyone can actually question the guy.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
OR, Stephen convinced Jerry and then Jerry RELEASED Bryant. You zero proof that Stephen made that decision and acted upon it without Jerry's approval. Where is your verifiable proof that Stephen told Garrett to keep Romo on the bench? Common sense is great for making your own decisions but you need to be there in the room hearing all conversation or have direct verifiable quotes from someone or have a really good crystal ball to know as facts (using common sense or not) what was said between people.
Right

Does common sense really tell anyone that if Jerry wasn’t convinced to go against his instincts he wouldn’t ?

I’m not sure if everyone realizes the difference between advisors and decision makers.

Some of the most powerful men in the world have advisors who are shaping these final decisions.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
It matters if he inherited a losing franchise in an era where you can't just hit the reset button and sign a new team in the off season.

I'm not sure how anyone can actually question the guy.
Belichick is in a class of his own this era. No peers .

But it’s unknown if his legacy would have been as great without Brady. The same can be said for Brady. It’s all a speculative argument. All we know for certain is what Bill was without Brady.

ItzKelz

Reaction score
Apparently there’s a growing perception with the overall better decisions and culture we’ve seen in personnel decisions we have fans and media who are framing a narrative that Stephen is now “running Cowboys Football”.

Interestingly I’ve even seen where they document it going back from anywhere between when Garrett took over in 2011 to Johnny Manziel .

Some even say with Jerry building his new stadium was the beginning of only part time duties as GM.

Fans are confusing delegating more air time to Stephen and listening more to the influences around him as a sign Jerry is no longer making the final decisions running Cowboys Football.

There are many signs quite to the contrary including major personnel decisions in draft like in War Room, final visits with key players like Dez , coaching decisions like firing Linehan along with no official announcement he’s taking any lesser role or increasing Stephens role.

I suspect we have fans who want to believe or take credit away from Jerry from being more influenced and delegating while still in control. And others who it probably provides them more hope if they believe Jerry isn’t in control.

Remember Parcells said “ you have to convince Jerry to go against his instincts” . Ive been a huge critic of Jerry thru the years. But he has a history of making better decisions with greater influence around him.
The major sign was Jerry telling the media that they had to ask Stephen about player acquisitions a few years ago. If you cant believe JJ then fall into that category of believing JJ is trying to create a false narrative about how the organization is being ran. I personally just believe JJ and the actions of SJ over the last few years seem in line with his previous statement. Of course you will always have fans and the media that believe otherwise but that is part of the reason we are America's Team...drama.

Whirlwin

Cowboy , It’s a way of life.
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Whirlwin again you've given zero, nada, zip verifiable proof that Jerry isn't still running things. All you keep saying or implying is your opinion that he isn't.
Who listens to the media they have their own agenda. Like Jerry is going to relinquish what's really happening. Open your mind up you're smarter than that

cern

Reaction score
I can only go by what both men said and what actually happened.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Great thought out response and I 100% agree with this... Whether or not Jerry is running things or Stephen is running things, we don't know. Unless someone (that is officially on the inside) tells us (which I highly doubt) we'll never know who it is running things.

People just have an agenda and do what they can to support it.

The general concept of people refusing to understand or even consider something that has not been explicitly spelled out in black and white is very interesting to me.

OP using Weak Debate Tactics
The OP has tried to use a specific Logical Fallacy in Debate called: Appeal to Ignorance (argumentum ad ignorantiam)

Appeal to Ignorance (argumentum ad ignorantiam)
Any time ignorance is used as a major premise in support of an argument, it’s liable to be a fallacious appeal to ignorance. Naturally, we are all ignorant of many things, but it is cheap and manipulative to allow this unfortunate aspect of the human condition to do most of our heavy lifting in an argument.

Ignorance isn’t proof of anything except that one doesn’t know something.
Interestingly, this fallacy is often used to bolster multiple contradictory conclusions at once. Consider the following two claims: “No one has ever been able to prove definitively that extra-terrestrials exist, so they must not be real.” “No one has ever been able to prove definitively that extra-terrestrials do not exist, so they must be real.” If the same argument strategy can support mutually exclusive claims, then it’s not a good argument strategy.

Ignorance isn’t proof of anything except that one doesn’t know something. If no one has proven the non-existence of ghosts or flying saucers, that’s hardly proof that those things either exist or don’t exist. If we don’t know whether they exist, then we don’t know that they do exist or that they don’t exist. Ignorance doesn’t prove any claim to knowledge.

OP Motivations
Reviewing his posting, especially in some other threads shows that he hates Jerry and enjoys blaming Jerry for all problems.

OP Other Quotes:
  • I’ve been more of a Cowboy fan over 50+ years of my life than you can ever imagine.
  • I’m a critic of how Jerry has run our franchise and come here to discuss all of the issues.
  • This is not the same franchise we grew up with. Only in name. I’m actually amazed we’re as competitive as we are.

The "X+ years" Cowboys fan comment often (not always) correlates to people that hate Jerry because he fired Landry.

If Stephen Jones was running the team, it would be less fun for dedicated Jerry haters to constantly post about all of Jerry's mistakes.

Information is Available Directly
I live in DFW which makes it easier to keep up with details than for people living in other locations.

Jerry, Stephen and Garrett all do weekly shows during the season. Each has a week radio show. They also do TV shows; although those are pre-canned Cowboys productions that generally don't provide any info that was not in the radio shows which get into more detail with radio hosts asking the questions that are not directly employed by the Cowboys.

In addition to weekly shows, they all do many media interviews throughout the year including some detailrf off-season radio interviews.

Will McClay also does some media interviews.

Neither Jerry or Stephen are going to get fired; therefore they're both a bit more open publicly than employees like Garrett.

Media Information
The input of local media people also provides a lot of insight. The DC.com crew obviously has some a "feel" for what is happening with the team and some other media have close relationships with various Cowboys management, coaches and players. If 1 guy from DC.com or 105.3 The Fan has an opinion then it might not mean much; however, once there starts to become a small consensus among those people close to the team then historically that has proven to be correct way more often than not.

Fact vs General Consensus
Many many things in sports are based on a general consensus more than absolute fact.

Many Cowboys fans believe that Zack Martin is an All-Time great OLineman. There are facts to support him being elite relative to his current peer group; however, beyond that it's just based on an inferred general consensus (i.e. most of the media regards him in high esteem). Very few fans have actually done game footage study of all OGs in NFL history to really base that opinion on fact. Most people in the media including ex coaches and players likely have not really sat down and reviewed exactly where ZM would rank among the All-Time great OGs; however, the general consensus from a large group of people is that ZM probably does rank relatively high in comparison to OGs in past decades. I call this general consensus but it could be called implied-fact, near-fact, pseudo-fact or something like that.

General Consensus Subset
Once the local Cowboys media starts to have multiple people with similar opinions about a subject, that has proven to be correct more often than not.

The Cowboys will never say that Stephen Jones is running the football operations as long as Jerry still has the GM title.

The local media will never put it in print because they all need access and cooperation from the team;
however, on radio individual media people will often blurt out these types of opinions in an off-the-cuff manner.

The questions that the radio hosts ask Jerry & Stephen Jones also make it clear what types of answers they expect to get from each.
The detailed free agency, contract, cap and draft questions go to SJones. The bigger picture or most visible topics are types of questions they ask Jerry.

Fact vs Information
Prior to the 2019 draft we as fans did not know for a fact which player the Cowboys would draft with pick #58.

We did however, have information that made it highly likely that Trysten Hill would be the pick.

A fact is information that has a 100% probability of being true.

The pre-draft info on pick #58 was about 80% (using 80% for example purposes) that Hill would be the pick.

On the opposite end a known internet message board troll posting a rumor has about 1% or lower probability of being true.

We could give this concept a label such that the pre-draft info on Hill could be called 80%-info and actual facts would be 100%-info.
Examples:
100%-info: (After the draft) "The Cowboys picked Trysten Hill at 58"
80%-info: (Pre-Draft) "The Cowboys are likely to draft Trysten Hill at 58"
1%-info: CZ troll says Zeke to be suspended tomorrow.
Current Status
There is more information supporting the contention that SJones is running the football operations than there was that the Cowboys would pick Trysten Hill at #58.

I can't put an exact percentage number on that, but there is definitely a significant amount of information that supports the contention that SJones is running football operations.

All team owners have input and veto power even teams where it is very clear that someone other than the owner is the GM.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Wasn't on that 3rd rounder in the draft this time. And if he's making the call on the 3rd round, safe to assume he's doing it on most of them.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Energizer batteries? Or rechargeable lithium? :):):)

The switch to Lithium Ion for cordless power tools was a huge step.

Most often new products/technology are just incremental improvements;
however, the switch to Li-ion from NiMH (nickel metal hydride) and NiCd (nickel cadmium)
was closer to revolution than evolution.

Now I've replaced all 12 smoke detector batteries in my house with Li-ion.
Before it was never more than a few months before one of them was beeping.
Now it's been about 3 years and no replacement yet.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
The general concept of people refusing to understand or even consider something that has not been explicitly spelled out in black and white is very interesting to me.

OP using Weak Debate Tactics
The OP has tried to use a specific Logical Fallacy in Debate called: Appeal to Ignorance (argumentum ad ignorantiam)

Appeal to Ignorance (argumentum ad ignorantiam)
Any time ignorance is used as a major premise in support of an argument, it’s liable to be a fallacious appeal to ignorance. Naturally, we are all ignorant of many things, but it is cheap and manipulative to allow this unfortunate aspect of the human condition to do most of our heavy lifting in an argument.

Ignorance isn’t proof of anything except that one doesn’t know something.
Interestingly, this fallacy is often used to bolster multiple contradictory conclusions at once. Consider the following two claims: “No one has ever been able to prove definitively that extra-terrestrials exist, so they must not be real.” “No one has ever been able to prove definitively that extra-terrestrials do not exist, so they must be real.” If the same argument strategy can support mutually exclusive claims, then it’s not a good argument strategy.

Ignorance isn’t proof of anything except that one doesn’t know something. If no one has proven the non-existence of ghosts or flying saucers, that’s hardly proof that those things either exist or don’t exist. If we don’t know whether they exist, then we don’t know that they do exist or that they don’t exist. Ignorance doesn’t prove any claim to knowledge.

OP Motivations
Reviewing his posting, especially in some other threads shows that he hates Jerry and enjoys blaming Jerry for all problems.

OP Other Quotes:
  • I’ve been more of a Cowboy fan over 50+ years of my life than you can ever imagine.
  • I’m a critic of how Jerry has run our franchise and come here to discuss all of the issues.
  • This is not the same franchise we grew up with. Only in name. I’m actually amazed we’re as competitive as we are.

The "X+ years" Cowboys fan comment often (not always) correlates to people that hate Jerry because he fired Landry.

If Stephen Jones was running the team, it would be less fun for dedicated Jerry haters to constantly post about all of Jerry's mistakes.

Information is Available Directly
I live in DFW which makes it easier to keep up with details than for people living in other locations.

Jerry, Stephen and Garrett all do weekly shows during the season. Each has a week radio show. They also do TV shows; although those are pre-canned Cowboys productions that generally don't provide any info that was not in the radio shows which get into more detail with radio hosts asking the questions that are not directly employed by the Cowboys.

In addition to weekly shows, they all do many media interviews throughout the year including some detailrf off-season radio interviews.

Will McClay also does some media interviews.

Neither Jerry or Stephen are going to get fired; therefore they're both a bit more open publicly than employees like Garrett.

Media Information
The input of local media people also provides a lot of insight. The DC.com crew obviously has some a "feel" for what is happening with the team and some other media have close relationships with various Cowboys management, coaches and players. If 1 guy from DC.com or 105.3 The Fan has an opinion then it might not mean much; however, once there starts to become a small consensus among those people close to the team then historically that has proven to be correct way more often than not.

Fact vs General Consensus
Many many things in sports are based on a general consensus more than absolute fact.

Many Cowboys fans believe that Zack Martin is an All-Time great OLineman. There are facts to support him being elite relative to his current peer group; however, beyond that it's just based on an inferred general consensus (i.e. most of the media regards him in high esteem). Very few fans have actually done game footage study of all OGs in NFL history to really base that opinion on fact. Most people in the media including ex coaches and players likely have not really sat down and reviewed exactly where ZM would rank among the All-Time great OGs; however, the general consensus from a large group of people is that ZM probably does rank relatively high in comparison to OGs in past decades. I call this general consensus but it could be called implied-fact, near-fact, pseudo-fact or something like that.

General Consensus Subset
Once the local Cowboys media starts to have multiple people with similar opinions about a subject, that has proven to be correct more often than not.

The Cowboys will never say that Stephen Jones is running the football operations as long as Jerry still has the GM title.

The local media will never put it in print because they all need access and cooperation from the team;
however, on radio individual media people will often blurt out these types of opinions in an off-the-cuff manner.

The questions that the radio hosts ask Jerry & Stephen Jones also make it clear what types of answers they expect to get from each.
The detailed free agency, contract, cap and draft questions go to SJones. The bigger picture or most visible topics are types of questions they ask Jerry.

Fact vs Information
Prior to the 2019 draft we as fans did not know for a fact which player the Cowboys would draft with pick #58.

We did however, have information that made it highly likely that Trysten Hill would be the pick.

A fact is information that has a 100% probability of being true.

The pre-draft info on pick #58 was about 80% (using 80% for example purposes) that Hill would be the pick.

On the opposite end a known internet message board troll posting a rumor has about 1% or lower probability of being true.

We could give this concept a label such that the pre-draft info on Hill could be called 80%-info and actual facts would be 100%-info.
Examples:
100%-info: (After the draft) "The Cowboys picked Trysten Hill at 58"
80%-info: (Pre-Draft) "The Cowboys are likely to draft Trysten Hill at 58"
1%-info: CZ troll says Zeke to be suspended tomorrow.
Current Status
There is more information supporting the contention that SJones is running the football operations than there was that the Cowboys would pick Trysten Hill at #58.

I can't put an exact percentage number on that, but there is definitely a significant amount of information that supports the contention that SJones is running football operations.

All team owners have input and veto power even teams where it is very clear that someone other than the owner is the GM.
No one can explain why Jerry is unwilling to publicly announce Stephen is now the GM running Cowboys Football ? What father wouldn’t give their son his due? You must think Jerry is more evil than I do.

And for someone who blames Jerry for everything it’s seems odd he would want to give Jerry more credit with Jimmy and credit for listening to his collaborative advisors now.

And if you’d followed for the last 10+ years you’d know he supported bringing Jimmy in letting Landry go.

He also credit Jerry for sticking with Garrett despite the continued criticism. Yes , he holds Jerry mostly responsible for the lack of success this era much like gives him his due credit for the early success and since .

Your simply attempting to discredit the messenger cause you don’t like the message. And if you’d read closer you’d realize that I’ve acknowledged the influence Jerry’s receiving while still making the final decisions. Even if the decision isn’t yours you still get credit for making it when your the boss.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Wasn't on that 3rd rounder in the draft this time. And if he's making the call on the 3rd round, safe to assume he's doing it on most of them.
Yea, some fans are just wanting to use the examples when Jerry’s been convinced to go against his instincts as evidence he’s not making all of the final decisions or his stamp of approval ultimately is needed.