The fastest way to improve our D may start with DL

morasp

Reaction score
1.) Stop the run
Sign Dalvin Tomlinson and/or draft a run stuffer like Shelvin
2.) Get Turnovers
If we lose Chido and Lewis replace them with ballhawk type players
3.) Get to the QB on passing plays
Gregory looked good last year but keep adding pass rush talent in the draft and/or free agency.

rnr_honeybadger

Reaction score
Sign Dalvin Tomlinson and/or draft a run stuffer like Shelvin

Not going to happen when you give in to Dak's demands of 40 million a year with a hard end of the contract in 2024.

If we lose Chido and Lewis replace them with ballhawk type players

This team is terrible about finding these sorts of players. They haven't built a competent defense since the 90's super bowl teams.

Gregory looked good last year but keep adding pass rush talent in the draft and/or free agency.

If he has another great year I doubt if this team can retain him.

kskboys

Reaction score
I think we've seen it time and time again. You build from the ball outward. Unfortunately BPA has to be a factor. We need a lot. DT, LB, Safety, CB...

I'm so tired of watching our LBs. As much as I'd like a DT or a LB we may be forced to take a CB based on BPA. Just let's not get silly and draft another Taco. Hopefully we can get Dak situated and take advantage of FA. Before someone roast me because we have no cap left, we spend on half a dozen scrubs every off season. How about we get one or two legit players instead?
Or get silly and draft another Mo or Mike Jenkins.

Creeper

Reaction score
I think it is pretty obvious that to have an effective defense you have to have a decent DL, and that means at least 1 quality DT. Being strong up the middle is the key to any good defense. Being strong up the middle takes the pressure off the DEs, LBs and secondary. The football adage is build your defense from the inside out front to back. The Cowboys, for whatever reason like to draft outside to inside favoring DEs and CBs over every other position, practically ignoring S and DT. Since 2000, the Cowboys have drafted 4 DEs and 4 CBs in the first round. More than any other positions. In that same time frame they drafted no DTs and 1 safety. That safety was Roy Williams in 2002. The only other positions they have ignored in the 1st round are FB and TE.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
We all know the old joke- “Why are they called the ‘Allas Cowboys? Because there’s no ‘D’ in Dallas.” And for too long it has been sadly true. But the serious question is, what’s the fastest way to turn this defense around into at least something decent?

The short answer may be to simply improve the defensive line’s play. Why? Let us look at their performance the last two seasons:
  • In the 2020 season last year, the Cowboys finished tied for 20th in the NFL with 31 sacks.
  • They were even worse last year with QB pressures, finishing 25th with just 132.
  • Last year, we ranked 27th in tackles for loss with only 54. We all know how bad this D was against the run, and the 2020 D gave up the most points in franchise history. Ouch.
  • Compare all that to 2019, when Dallas had 8 more sacks than 2020, 17 more pressures and 22 more TFLs. And our defense wasn’t that great in 2019.
The good news is if we can get more aggressive defensively with the front 7, our numbers can improve quickly. For example, with new D coordinator Dan Quinn, I’m hoping we get more aggressive than with Mike Nolan and Rod Marinelli, who almost never blitzed. That needs to change.

How little has this team blitzed?
  • The Cowboys in 2020 blitzed only 23% of the time, the same % as 2019. Last year, we ranked 27th in number of blitzes.
  • Only the Eagles, Bears, Browns, Colts and Chargers blitzed less in 2020.
I realize that merely blitzing more doesn’t guarantee success, but offenses preparing for the Cowboys defense the last few years rarely had to worry about some exotic blitz package coming at them, much less regular pressure. The result was our secondary was often expected to cover receivers far too long.

Dan Quinn has said he wants to “simplify the scheme and play faster and more aggressively”. That should help. But this team also needs to upgrade the talent plus see what we have in Neville Gallimore and Trysten Hill. I expect to see a DL or two drafted although there’s supposedly not much impactful talent in this year’s draft.

Here’s hoping the play of our DL will start the process of making this defense more aggressive on the front end, making it easier on the secondary. Easier said than done of course.
I don't disagree and it has to start by better drafting.....

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
@kskboys has been saying this for over a decade.
Truth! @kskboys has been making this point since the old Cowboys team forum days. And this FO continues to act like defensive tackles are an afterthought or easy to find. When was the last dominant interior d-lineman this team drafted early? Russell Maryland?

Turk

Reaction score
Truth! @kskboys has been making this point since the old Cowboys team forum days. And this FO continues to act like defensive tackles are an afterthought or easy to find. When was the last dominant interior d-lineman this team drafted early? Russell Maryland?
He was very good but dominant? not really. Leon Lett was the last DT we drafted that was truly talented; and he pissed most of his career away on drugs.
When you think about it the Cowboys have only ever drafted ONE DT that was Great: Bob Lilly. Randy White was drafted as a LB.

quickccc

Reaction score
Haze thanks so much for providing a non Dak thread - that we can get away from and discuss other Cowboys related players and team items:

Frankly i like and strongly prefer a defense that does not have to Bltiz to provide sacks and pressures. - some or most teams have to blitz
because their base defense just cannot provide the rush

To answer your intial question - building a great DL that is effective both vs run and the pass., is most important.
to a certain degree a DL can greatly help out an average secondary, but solid secondary cannot hold coverage if rush cannot
get to the QB - -- And LBs need interference work from the DL .

- Imo, it's not about HOW MUCH you blitz... more than it is HOW you Blitz, ..how you design the blitz... how you disguise,
- .how you overload and fake the blitz,
- .keep teams guessing if you intent to blitz but back off in coverage
- if you'll have ends dropping in pass lanes at last min.on occasions,
- mix blitz twists and stunts around the line
Flat and plain - some teams both know how to scheme and design blitzs- and they have personnel to do so.

- If they don't success with blitzes that leaves their defense that much more vulnerable and open to big plays
Supposedly that was the breach that had ex DC Kris Richard fired in Seattle. i don't want us being in that position.

- i like a pressurized defense - but so long as it starts upfront - edge rushers and interior havoc.
can we get edge from DLaw, Gregory, Anae ..while we finally get it from Gallimore, Hill?
We need depth and i'm not confident with vet McCoy and his troublesome quad. Woods is suited for rotation than starter but
who knows how this summer will turn out with him.

- The 1 tech is gonna be that run stuffer so ot thinking much rush from him,.

- Jaylon is just not a effective blitzer- and we know his other game suffers too. but management is gonna force him down new defensive coaches
throat. and we'll pay the price for it too
- i think LVE could be one, but will he even be able to stay healthy to do so. ?

We all know the old joke- “Why are they called the ‘Allas Cowboys? Because there’s no ‘D’ in Dallas.” And for too long it has been sadly true. But the serious question is, what’s the fastest way to turn this defense around into at least something decent?

The short answer may be to simply improve the defensive line’s play. Why? Let us look at their performance the last two seasons:
  • In the 2020 season last year, the Cowboys finished tied for 20th in the NFL with 31 sacks.
  • They were even worse last year with QB pressures, finishing 25th with just 132.
  • Last year, we ranked 27th in tackles for loss with only 54. We all know how bad this D was against the run, and the 2020 D gave up the most points in franchise history. Ouch.
  • Compare all that to 2019, when Dallas had 8 more sacks than 2020, 17 more pressures and 22 more TFLs. And our defense wasn’t that great in 2019.
The good news is if we can get more aggressive defensively with the front 7, our numbers can improve quickly. For example, with new D coordinator Dan Quinn, I’m hoping we get more aggressive than with Mike Nolan and Rod Marinelli, who almost never blitzed. That needs to change.

How little has this team blitzed?
  • The Cowboys in 2020 blitzed only 23% of the time, the same % as 2019. Last year, we ranked 27th in number of blitzes.
  • Only the Eagles, Bears, Browns, Colts and Chargers blitzed less in 2020.
I realize that merely blitzing more doesn’t guarantee success, but offenses preparing for the Cowboys defense the last few years rarely had to worry about some exotic blitz package coming at them, much less regular pressure. The result was our secondary was often expected to cover receivers far too long.

Dan Quinn has said he wants to “simplify the scheme and play faster and more aggressively”. That should help. But this team also needs to upgrade the talent plus see what we have in Neville Gallimore and Trysten Hill. I expect to see a DL or two drafted although there’s supposedly not much impactful talent in this year’s draft.

Here’s hoping the play of our DL will start the process of making this defense more aggressive on the front end, making it easier on the secondary. Easier said than done of course.

kskboys

Reaction score
He was very good but dominant? not really. Leon Lett was the last DT we drafted that was truly talented; and he pissed most of his career away on drugs.
When you think about it the Cowboys have only ever drafted ONE DT that was Great: Bob Lilly. Randy White was drafted as a LB.
Man I was trying hard to come up w/ a name of a DT we drafted that turned out to be very good, and I finally got one: Mark Tuinei!!!!

aria

Reaction score
The only FA out there that would really help the interior D Line is Thomlinson. But he will be expensive.
I see nothing in the Draft that really make me think they are a real difference maker inside; this is a poor year for DT's.
Not according to @Zekeats, Tomlinson is a JAG and we can find similar production in the 3rd or 4th round.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Is there a DL worthy of the 10 pick? I've seen 1 LB and 2 CB's mentioned as possible top 10's but not a DL.
I wish there was a great DT or FS available, but it sounds like LB and CB are the positions likely to be available, No likey.

#TeamTradeBack

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
The Cowboys having so many needs at multiple positions make this year’s draft and FA period doubly interesting.

Trade back 10 for two defensive starters instead of one. Should be able to get a 3rd starter with the 2nd round pick.
Comp picks in 3,4 to double up in those rounds. Nice rounds to get credible defensive rotational players who can start someday. Maybe hit on 1 out of 4 as a rookie starter.

We're not needing the truly premiere positions (I prefer to cheap out on CB). DEs are set on defense. Most premiere position is 3T. I hope we get one early. But after that, FS, LB, 1T, CBs, are abundant in 2-4.

We *should* move Gallup now. Good player, but not needed so much here. Part of the value of the Lamb pick was giving us the option to move Gallup. That PFF talk of a 3,4 for Gallup would be great, but I'd be happy with the 3. Having *6* picks in 3,4 would fill the defense fast. Give us more room to let the offense have a pick or two.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
The only FA out there that would really help the interior D Line is Thomlinson. But he will be expensive.
I see nothing in the Draft that really make me think they are a real difference maker inside; this is a poor year for DT's.

No DT pick worth a 10, but there are a *lot* of DTs 2-4 this year. I'm hoping we get 2.