The FO grand plan: Lady Luck or “The Miracle on Turf”

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
So as free agency goes ahead and the draft looms again in the 2019 Cowboys off season, we fans are stuck wondering again, “What’s the grand plan to win a championship? How bad does our owner and his sidekick son want to win?

I think most fans know by now that our owner says he wants to win a championship, but only within the extremely narrow passageway known as “Jerry’s way”. He will do it his way or he will not do it at all. We have seen 23 years of clear evidence.

The proof of the above stares us in the face every year Jerry keeps Garrett as his HC and says he’s serious about winning. He could spend a fortune on the best coaching staff money could buy but despite two wild card wins in 8 years, he chooses to have “his coach” do it “his way”.

Sadly my fellow fans, I’m convinced that the only way we win a championship in the near future is not going to be with shrewd planning from the FO. It will be with that shifty hard to catch ghost known as “Lady Luck”.

So no plan. No philosophy other than non-sensical press conference drivel to make clear what the grand plan is. No...The plan will have to be the “broken clock” method. It’s right twice a day regardless of setting. Or the “Even a blind squirrel finds a nut occasionally” theory. That’s it. That’s the Jones plan. That’s the way you strike oil- you take chances and get lucky.

In other words, roll the dice my friends on your favorite team. Put down the free agent lists and draft projections. Take a dart and put the names up there and throw. You will be as prepared and accurate as the 76 year old playing GM with his #1 son. No boss. No consequences. No worries. Just a dice roll. Knowing either way, win or lose billions will still roll in!

So I guess we should put our hopes on Lady Luck! On rare occasions, she comes through. Like the 1980 Olympic hockey “miracle on ice.” I guess we can say we are all praying for a “miracle on turf”! Lord knows this front office might as well admit that’s their plan.

ArtClink

Reaction score
How true! As the Ticket's Dan McDowel often says when referring to our "hof" gm's plans: " Hope is not a strategy". 23 years and counting, the Jones way has produced zero div playoff wins. The difference last year was Garrett. We could have beat the Rams w a great hc and off coordinator, but having highly skilled, well paid coaches is not the Jones way.

So we are stuck with dice roll coaches like Kellen Moore who is anybody's guess if he can coach his way out of a paper bag. We could hire a great off coordinator but Jones prefers to have his whipping boys since credentialed coaches with a proven track record intimidate Jerry. So rather than loading up on great coaches to maximize our potential to win games, we are stuck with our moronic gm who puts his comfort level above winning.

Anyone that says "Jerry really wants to win must also think Janet Reno is a babe of the highest order, the world is flat, and that George Strait can actually play guitar at a higher level than a third grader.

Its a miracle our players overcame all the Jones handicaps imposed on them last season to actually win a playoff game. Hats off to them because there are 31 other teams with owners that hire the best coaches and gms they can find to maximize their winning potential, and those players dont have to try to overcome "the Jones way".

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
How true! As the Ticket's Dan McDowel often says when referring to our "hof" gm's plans: " Hope is not a strategy". 23 years and counting, the Jones way has produced zero div playoff wins. The difference last year was Garrett. We could have beat the Rams w a great hc and off coordinator, but having highly skilled, well paid coaches is not the Jones way.

So we are stuck with dice roll coaches like Kellen Moore who is anybody's guess if he can coach his way out of a paper bag. We could hire a great off coordinator but Jones prefers to have his whipping boys since credentialed coaches with a proven track record intimidate Jerry. So rather than loading up on great coaches to maximize our potential to win games, we are stuck with our moronic gm who puts his comfort level above winning.

Anyone that says "Jerry really wants to win must also think Janet Reno is a babe of the highest order, the world is flat, and that George Strait can actually play guitar at a higher level than a third grader.

Its a miracle our players overcame all the Jones handicaps imposed on them last season to actually win a playoff game. Hats off to them because there are 31 other teams with owners that hire the best coaches and gms they can find to maximize their winning potential, and those players dont have to try to overcome "the Jones way".
Art bringing truth up in here!

Diehardblues

Reaction score
We are talent dependent.

It’s taken us this far. If we continue to add more talent while retaining the bulk of our current talent , then we might have a shot.

There really isn’t much else for us to root for within “Jerry’s way”.

Diehardblues

Reaction score

Yep!!

We must always remember Jerry tried winning championships with a stellar coaching staff and didn’t like it cause he didn’t receive the credit he was pursuing.

It’s simply not fun or satisfying enough for Jerry if he’s not the face of the franchise. So , this is it Cowboy fans.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
We are talent dependent.

It’s taken us this far. If we continue to add more talent while retaining the bulk of our current talent , then we might have a shot.

There really isn’t much else for us to root for within “Jerry’s way”.

Or Garrett's coaching. Never forget to include that part, especially when you're conceding the truth regarding being "talent dependent".

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Or Garrett's coaching. Never forget to include that part, especially when you're conceding the truth regarding being "talent dependent".
Garretts coaching ability doesn’t appear to be one of our strengths but then none of our HC’s in this puppet era have with the possible exception of Bill who was still thwarted with Jerry’s meddling.

Garretts asset IMO is centered more around his ability to hold the team together despite the meddling and distractions from our dysfunctional leadership while instilling some sort of vision he sees the team as influencing some of the personnel decisions creating a better culture than we’ve seen from most of our puppets.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
But if we’re counting on our HC to win games for us with his X and O’s then we are probably barking up the wrong tree. Much like we are hoping our front office will be the difference.

Our greatest hope is our talent and trying to keep them healthy with some sort of cohesiveness and motivation. That’s where Garrett can help us.

And we always appear to play hard for him regardless if the game plan is a good one.

Overall , I don’t believe our talent has been enough to overcome the others we’ve faced or lost to in playoffs. Could greater coaching have overcome ? Possibly but we can’t be certain.

Last year the Rams and Saints were two best teams in the conference. I can’t imagine anyone thinking we would go to their house and beat them. So, I don’t walk away thinking there’s much more we could have done with the talent we had. I thought our season matched the talent we had.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Garretts coaching ability doesn’t appear to be one of our strengths but then none of our HC’s in this puppet era have with the possible exception of Bill who was still thwarted with Jerry’s meddling.

Garretts asset IMO is centered more around his ability to hold the team together despite the meddling and distractions from our dysfunctional leadership while instilling some sort of vision he sees the team as influencing some of the personnel decisions creating a better culture than we’ve seen from most of our puppets.
Garrett does deserve some credit for making something out of this dysfunctional situation. He’s not a very good situational coach or game planner but he has a lot to overcome with his boss.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Garrett does deserve some credit for making something out of this dysfunctional situation. He’s not a very good situational coach or game planner but he has a lot to overcome with his boss.
Right!

I choose to look at the bright side . It could be much worse. And it has been. Garrett is the best looking puppet I’ve seen this era.

The more talent he has, the more success we have.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Too many fans still don’t want to accept the handicap “ Jerry’s ways” presents. Puppet coaching is a huge obstacle we must overcome as a result .

I’m still amazed when we have seasons like last year or in 2014 and 2016. Truly remarkable given our dysfunctional organization. The rest of the league should be ashamed.

It’s all about fans perspective . This continual bashing of Garrett and Jerry leads me to believe fans are not accepting our reality . Once you do then can begin to look for ways to overcome it. And the first place is upgrading talent then probably asst coaches.

glimmerman

Reaction score
So as free agency goes ahead and the draft looms again in the 2019 Cowboys off season, we fans are stuck wondering again, “What’s the grand plan to win a championship? How bad does our owner and his sidekick son want to win?

I think most fans know by now that our owner says he wants to win a championship, but only within the extremely narrow passageway known as “Jerry’s way”. He will do it his way or he will not do it at all. We have seen 23 years of clear evidence.

The proof of the above stares us in the face every year Jerry keeps Garrett as his HC and says he’s serious about winning. He could spend a fortune on the best coaching staff money could buy but despite two wild card wins in 8 years, he chooses to have “his coach” do it “his way”.

Sadly my fellow fans, I’m convinced that the only way we win a championship in the near future is not going to be with shrewd planning from the FO. It will be with that shifty hard to catch ghost known as “Lady Luck”.

So no plan. No philosophy other than non-sensical press conference drivel to make clear what the grand plan is. No...The plan will have to be the “broken clock” method. It’s right twice a day regardless of setting. Or the “Even a blind squirrel finds a nut occasionally” theory. That’s it. That’s the Jones plan. That’s the way you strike oil- you take chances and get lucky.

In other words, roll the dice my friends on your favorite team. Put down the free agent lists and draft projections. Take a dart and put the names up there and throw. You will be as prepared and accurate as the 76 year old playing GM with his #1 son. No boss. No consequences. No worries. Just a dice roll. Knowing either way, win or lose billions will still roll in!

So I guess we should put our hopes on Lady Luck! On rare occasions, she comes through. Like the 1980 Olympic hockey “miracle on ice.” I guess we can say we are all praying for a “miracle on turf”! Lord knows this front office might as well admit that’s their plan.
I have said for a while that once we hit the playoffs and the teams are all good and in some ways even that the coaching matters especially the HC and coordinators OC and DC. That’s where we fail and get outcoached.. In order for us to win at a playoff and championship level we have to win despite the coaches. Our players and talent and yes even luck has to take place.

We have to have talent and players good enough to execute despite being prediactable. It’s been the norm for years and the FO and JJ seems to be ok with that. Maybe and just maybe the new OC will shake things up and make our Offense less predictable. And if Richard can be apart of the game plan during playoff time instead of going on job interviews then perhaps we can field a Defense like the one we had all season long. What we did against the rams was a joke and unprepared. And at the wrong time.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The plan is
I have said for a while that once we hit the playoffs and the teams are all good and in some ways even that the coaching matters especially the HC and coordinators OC and DC. That’s where we fail and get outcoached.. In order for us to win at a playoff and championship level we have to win despite the coaches. Our players and talent and yes even luck has to take place.

We have to have talent and players good enough to execute despite being prediactable. It’s been the norm for years and the FO and JJ seems to be ok with that. Maybe and just maybe the new OC will shake things up and make our Offense less predictable. And if Richard can be apart of the game plan during playoff time instead of going on job interviews then perhaps we can field a Defense like the one we had all season long. What we did against the rams was a joke and unprepared. And at the wrong time.
Yeah....and it puts a ton of pressure on the success of the draft and FA in terms of acquiring additional talent.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
The plan is

Yeah....and it puts a ton of pressure on the success of the draft and FA in terms of acquiring additional talent.
Yes but that’s really with everyone. There’s less than a handful of HC’s that can overcome less talent. Belichick main one but he’s still got Brady.

The whole reason we’re more competitive now is we’ve had some better drafts while still missing on some like Taco, Clairborne and Gregory for example. Imagine if we hit on more. That’s sometimes the fine line of success.

ArtClink

Reaction score
Yes but that’s really with everyone. There’s less than a handful of HC’s that can overcome less talent. Belichick main one but he’s still got Brady.

The whole reason we’re more competitive now is we’ve had some better drafts while still missing on some like Taco, Clairborne and Gregory for example. Imagine if we hit on more. That’s sometimes the fine line of success.

But once we enter the playoffs, we need the additional edge that comes from an excellent coaching staff.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
But once we enter the playoffs, we need the additional edge that comes from an excellent coaching staff.
It's ironic to me that the richest owner in pro sports has the opportunity to spend as much money as he wants for a HC and staff, yet somehow chooses Jason Garrett as his guy. Somehow, Jason Garrett, perhaps the 16th-25th best head coach in the NFL is Jerry’s “Landry”. That explains the “way things are around here.”

ArtClink

Reaction score
It's ironic to me that the richest owner in pro sports has the opportunity to spend as much money as he wants for a HC and staff, yet somehow chooses Jason Garrett as his guy. Somehow, Jason Garrett, perhaps the 16th-25th best head coach in the NFL is Jerry’s “Landry”. That explains the “way things are around here.”

Dont leave out a green, unproven goofy kid named Kellen Moore who was given the keys to the kingdom on the offensive side of the ball.