CFZ The future looks bright

Fla Cowpoke

Reaction score
This is probably going to be a long post as I will touch on several topics.

I think the first thing I want to say is that I am very excited about the young players we have on this team. It starts with the stars like Parsons, Diggs, and Lamb, but carries over to lots of players taken later in the draft or even in free agency. I think we have 2-3 guys at WR that can be really good, we have exciting guys like Dowdle, Davis and Shampklin in the backfield. Guys like Mukuamu, Sam Williams, Jabril Cox, Farniok, Waltezko, Ferguson, Hendershot and a few others makes it seem very promising.

Not just the young guys though, we have some veterans that are in their primes right now....this really should have been the time to roll the dice and go all in. Kearse, Schultz, Martin, Dak, Pollard, and Brown kind of fit the bill here. Even vets that may not be in their primes like Lawrence, Elliott, Barr, Hooker, and a few others. The role players that may never be stars but can be effective like Steele, Biadasz, Lewis, Armstrong, and guys on the DL like Golston, Bohanna and Gallimore.

I really think that this team has a ton of talent, as much as they have had in a long time. But with the talent there are glaring holes. The swing tackle situation has been a train wreck. We knew Tyron wouldn't play a whole season but we went in with the idea that a bunch of late rounds picks could fight it out and take the spot. It was wishful thinking and as usual, things went from shaky to downright crumbling right underneath us. And now we are caught between a rock and a hard place at one of the most important positions on the field. None of the choices seem great. We can throw a raw rookie out there and give him a baptism by fire. We can try switching guys at multiple positions to hopefully get the best 5 out there even if they aren't at their best positions. Or we can try finding a vet that is probably on the downside and hope they can give us a solid year. Never should have got to this point.

WR is also a huge question mark. We let a top 10-15 receiver go and did nothing to adequately replace him. I really think they missed the mark not resigning Wilson. I think he and Lamb would have made a decent pair and then if Gallup comes back healthy the receiving corp would have looked good. I like Tolbert but don't think he is gonna be a big contributor, at least not immediately. Brown might be improved but as a potential starter I am underwhelmed. Washington has been meh his whole career. Fehoko, Brown, Houston and Drummond have potential but that is all it is right now.

Kicker is a concern. I think Maher is better than Hallelujah and the rookie were, but he inspires little confidence until he makes some big kicks and I mean game winners, not necessarily 60 yarders. I think for now he has the job but I would keep looking for better options.

And finally, backup QB. Rush is what he is. A game manager. He can't really challenge you down the field so the passing game basically ends up in a box. I had some hope for Grier but he was Jekyll and Hyde last night. Really bad in the first half, much better in the second. Overall, not too excited. For the first time, DiNucci looked like he knew what he was doing. From the small sample, I'd say go with him over the other two.

Moving toward the season, I think the absolute must is finding a Tackle that can step in and play. Pretty much all of the available candidates have warts, but they are smaller warts than what we have now. Whitworth would be a dream, but Fisher or Peters would be ok I think. Not sure who is available on other team's rosters that we could consider a trade for, but how many teams are 4 good tackles deep?

The guys like Dak, Lawrence, Brown, Martin deserve the GM doing everything he can to give them a chance to win. Or it can just be another era of wasted talent like we have with Romo, Witten, Dez, and many others.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
The young talent on defense looks brighter than it has but I think we’re going struggle offensively. I don’t think the offense is going to be near as good as what we’ve had. The defense is going to have to continue getting takeaways. We’ve played nothing but young players during the preseason and I’ve seen a lot more promise on the defense than the offense. I’m very concerned about our offense.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score

I think the first thing I want to say is that I am very excited about the young players we have on this team. It starts with the stars like Parsons, Diggs, and Lamb, but carries over to lots of players taken later in the draft or even in free agency. I think we have 2-3 guys at WR that can be really good, we have exciting guys like Dowdle, Davis and Shampklin in the backfield. Guys like Mukuamu, Sam Williams, Jabril Cox, Farniok, Waltezko, Ferguson, Hendershot and a few others makes it seem very promising.

Not just the young guys though, we have some veterans that are in their primes right now....this really should have been the time to roll the dice and go all in. Kearse, Schultz, Martin, Dak, Pollard, and Brown kind of fit the bill here. Even vets that may not be in their primes like Lawrence, Elliott, Barr, Hooker, and a few others. The role players that may never be stars but can be effective like Steele, Biadasz, Lewis, Armstrong, and guys on the DL like Golston, Bohanna and Gallimore.

I really think that this team has a ton of talent, as much as they have had in a long time. But with the talent there are glaring holes. The swing tackle situation has been a train wreck. We knew Tyron wouldn't play a whole season but we went in with the idea that a bunch of late rounds picks could fight it out and take the spot. It was wishful thinking and as usual, things went from shaky to downright crumbling right underneath us. And now we are caught between a rock and a hard place at one of the most important positions on the field. None of the choices seem great. We can throw a raw rookie out there and give him a baptism by fire. We can try switching guys at multiple positions to hopefully get the best 5 out there even if they aren't at their best positions. Or we can try finding a vet that is probably on the downside and hope they can give us a solid year. Never should have got to this point.

WR is also a huge question mark. We let a top 10-15 receiver go and did nothing to adequately replace him. I really think they missed the mark not resigning Wilson. I think he and Lamb would have made a decent pair and then if Gallup comes back healthy the receiving corp would have looked good. I like Tolbert but don't think he is gonna be a big contributor, at least not immediately. Brown might be improved but as a potential starter I am underwhelmed. Washington has been meh his whole career. Fehoko, Brown, Houston and Drummond have potential but that is all it is right now.

Kicker is a concern. I think Maher is better than Hallelujah and the rookie were, but he inspires little confidence until he makes some big kicks and I mean game winners, not necessarily 60 yarders. I think for now he has the job but I would keep looking for better options.

And finally, backup QB. Rush is what he is. A game manager. He can't really challenge you down the field so the passing game basically ends up in a box. I had some hope for Grier but he was Jekyll and Hyde last night. Really bad in the first half, much better in the second. Overall, not too excited. For the first time, DiNucci looked like he knew what he was doing. From the small sample, I'd say go with him over the other two.

Moving toward the season, I think the absolute must is finding a Tackle that can step in and play. Pretty much all of the available candidates have warts, but they are smaller warts than what we have now. Whitworth would be a dream, but Fisher or Peters would be ok I think. Not sure who is available on other team's rosters that we could consider a trade for, but how many teams are 4 good tackles deep?

The guys like Dak, Lawrence, Brown, Martin deserve the GM doing everything he can to give them a chance to win. Or it can just be another era of wasted talent like we have with Romo, Witten, Dez, and many others.

Farniok? LOL

What has Farniok every done? The big mystery player that has never done anything that EVERY year is going to beat out Biadasz and it never happens. Heck they even had Mcgovern starting at center last night. AT this point, Farniok is nothing more than a scrub project.

There is NO future until we fix this Oline.

Acceptablename

Reaction score

Is this allowed looking at the bounty of the cowboys?

Aven8

Reaction score
The young talent on defense looks brighter than it has but I think we’re going struggle offensively. I don’t think the offense is going to be near as good as what we’ve had. The defense is going to have to continue getting takeaways. We’ve played nothing but young players during the preseason and I’ve seen a lot more promise on the defense than the offense. I’m very concerned about our offense.

I think the RB’s and TE’s are the strength now on offense, but the WR’s and Oline have taken a step back.

Fla Cowpoke

Reaction score
Farniok? LOL

What has Farniok every done? The big mystery player that has never done anything that EVERY year is going to beat out Biadasz and it never happens. Heck they even had Mcgovern starting at center last night. AT this point, Farniok is nothing more than a scrub project.

Newton mentioned Farniok last night. There have been multiple people with NFL experience saying he looks decent. McGovern getting some center time was planned before Tyron got hurt. Could allow you to have McGovern as the game day backup at all three interior positions. I think Farniok has a future.

Fla Cowpoke

Reaction score
Farniok? LOL

The fact you don't like him makes me feel even better about his future.

What has he done? He was a late round pick last year and looks like he could step right in if called upon. Can't prove yourself till opportunity knocks

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
I think the RB’s and TE’s are the strength now on offense, but the WR’s and Oline have taken a step back.

That’s been the strength with all the young players we’ve used. They’re obviously going up against a lot of young players. Most of the plays they’re making have been later in games when you’re getting down to the bubble players. Neither Cooper Rush or Grier has looked good. DiNucci has looked better but he’s going up against bubble players in the fourth quarter. When we start the season with our starting group there’s going to be a big step back from what we’ve seen in previous seasons. I don’t think we’re going to see near the production we’ve seen.

EPL0c0

The Funcooker
Reaction score
Depth on Defense is a bright spot.

CB Depth
With the exception of Diggs, I don't think there's a huge gap between the other CBs. Al Harris is doing a good job with these guys.

Safety Depth:
Good depth; I wonder if it lets Kearse play a hybrid S-LB type of position and then lets Parsons play closer to the line.

Run Defense/DL:
Interior DL has good depth and a good rotation of guys. DL overall has quality depth. I think it takes pressure off the LBs.

Run Blocking:
It's look good regardless of personnel/lineup.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The fact you don't like him makes me feel even better about his future.

What has he done? He was a late round pick last year and looks like he could step right in if called upon. Can't prove yourself till opportunity knocks

From things I read and heard, they like his progress. They thought enough to keep him on the roster last season.

Also who knows, Biadasz can play very well this season. It does take some time for many players. I think fans forget, or just don't want to admit it at times. They want an all pro from the get go.

We are really down Tyron Smith, so it depends on what they do on the left side. All we can do is wait and see.

Kolemmitt

Reaction score
Unless the Jones' are selling the franchise, the future is blech....We will draft hall-of-Famers and near hall-of-Famers, but we will waste their careers with mediocre coaching and personnel moves. Just enough to stay relevant, but not enough to really push for a championship.

Ken

Reaction score
Farniok? LOL

Go back and watch him against the Eagles last year when they let him play.

Played outstanding.

Fla Cowpoke

Reaction score
Unless the Jones' are selling the franchise, the future is blech....We will draft hall-of-Famers and near hall-of-Famers, but we will waste their careers with mediocre coaching and personnel moves. Just enough to stay relevant, but not enough to really push for a championship.

I agree to an extent, and I said that it is going to suck seeing the Jones family not do whatever it takes to get another Super Bowl ring. These vets deserve it. Romo deserved it. Ware deserved it. Witten deserved it. Hopefully the talent can overcome.

I also think to a certain extent that the coaching has improved in several areas. I think Quinn has transformed the defense. I think Durden is doing a good job on the DL. I like how Al Harris has turned this secondary into a ball hawking group. Not everything is a train wreck. A lot of people are still high on Moore. The RB's, TE's, and WR's all seem to be improving. The glaring hole is Philbin and the OL progress.

Fla Cowpoke

Reaction score
Go back and watch him against the Eagles last year when they let him play.

Played outstanding.

IT's funny, unless they are a pro bowler he doesn't acknowledge them. I dont think the line would skip a beat if Biadasz went down and Farniok took over.