CFZ The Good News for Josh Ball

Jumbo075

Reaction score
The injury to Terrence Steele may not be good news in the near term for the Cowboys, but there is an upside for Josh Ball. Real game reps are the fastest way for a player to learn and develop. The Cowboys aren’t going to put the entire burden of replacing Steele on Ball. With Tyron Smith returning, who played right tackle during the 2011 season, and future HOF tackle Jason Peters available, the Cowboys will protect Ball from being overexposed.

But the injury to Steele means that Ball will also be the primary Right Tackle in training camp next year and is likely to begin the 2023 season as the starter. This trial by fire may pay long term dividends for the team if Ball is able to improve his game. If not, there is Matt Waletzko.

In addition to developing 2020 rookie Terrence Steele into a starting NFL tackle, the Cowboys have drafted three more offensive tackles in the drafts of 2021 and 2022. It’s not like the Cowboys didn’t anticipate the need. Now it’s just about development and implementation. Steele and Smith have both been starters this season. Time for the development of Ball and Waletzko.

Last edited:

RodeoJake

Reaction score
Going in cold without much prep in practice for his first real NFL action had to be a tough task. He had some really bad plays, but if he can use them to learn and motivate himself, he could surprise. Think back to how bad Steele looked his rookie season and then how he looked last year, and on to this year. Ball should get better with actual game experience. We'll be fine alternating him and Peters.

Carson

Reaction score
Going in cold without much prep in practice for his first real NFL action had to be a tough task. He had some really bad plays, but if he can use them to learn and motivate himself, he could surprise. Think back to how bad Steele looked his rookie season and then how he looked last year, and on to this year. Ball should get better with actual game experience. We'll be fine alternating him and Peters.
He was pretty awful in preseason against backups.

I don’t expect the light to magically go on against good to great defenses such as Philly, Tennessee and Washington.

Carson

Reaction score
for a big guy he gets pushed around easily,i was wrong about him.
He was outstanding at Marshall. Now I know, the NFL is different than Marshall. But I have yet to see anything positive from him.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
But the injury to Steele means that Ball will also be the primary Right Tackle in training camp next year and is likely to begin the 2023 season as the starter.
Might be putting the cart before the horse a little. You never know. The Cowboys could put Tyson Smith at tackle until Steele comes back.

JustChip

Reaction score
Ball is bad....thinking he’s gonna come in get reps and be sufficient is a pipe dream
Steele was probably the best player on this team that nobody heard of or talked about
The OP’s point on Ball was about the future, not the present. He was comparing the situation to Steele, who was awful his rookie year. I can’t remember a single poster here that thought Steele was anything but trash his 1st year. They’re different players and humans so just because Steele developed doesn’t mean Ball will, but he has an opportunity to show if he can by getting more quality reps.

I have full confidence the coaching staff will implement a plan for the present to replace Steele that limits the impact of his loss. How much that involves Ball remains to be seen.

terra

Reaction score
Funny, I remember fans saying the same thing about Steele. Last offseason some in the local media predicted he would be cut.:rolleyes::eek: Give the players a chance to develop.
Steele is OK, and that is all. Better at run blocking; but the better pass rushers pretty much own him

Still will take him every day of the week and TWICE on sunday over Ball