CFZ The Greatness of Zack Martin

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Sometimes there are players that are so good, we either take them for granted or even forget just HOW great they are. An offensive lineman like Zack Martin is a good example of this.

Just look at Zack Martin’s accomplishments since he arrived in Dallas in 2014:
  • Five time First Team ALL PRO- 2014, 2016, 2018, 2019, 2021
  • Seven time Pro bowler
  • Get this- He has more pro bowl appearances in his career (7) than holding penalties!
  • In his entire career, he has FIVE holding penalties.
  • He has been very durable- did not miss a game to injury until 2020.
  • In his 8 NFL seasons, he’s only allowed 12 sacks!
  • In six career playoff games, he has never allowed a sack.
So the next time any of us wonder, “Who is the BEST player on this team?” Zack Martin is the answer. This guy is headed to Canton, Ohio.

McKDaddy

Reaction score
There was a time when Zack was the best player on the team. I couldn't really say that has been the case for several years now. Right now, it would seem to be Micah.

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
Sometimes there are players that are so good, we either take them for granted or even forget just HOW great they are. An offensive lineman like Zack Martin is a good example of this.

• Seven time Pro bowler
  • Get this- He has more pro bowl appearances in his career (7) than holding penalties!
So the next time any of us wonder, “Who is the BEST player on this team?” Zack Martin is the answer. This guy is headed to Canton, Ohio.
And well he should be !
Should be First ballot selection...
Hope he can say hello to Chuck Howley when he's inducted !

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
There was a time when Zack was the best player on the team. I couldn't really say that has been the case for several years now. Right now, it would seem to be Micah.
Talent wise- yes. Micah is the most talented. Most reliable- most accomplished? Zack Martin. I expect Parsons to get there in a few years. But he isn’t yet.

Outlaw Heroes

Reaction score
It comes with the position he plays and his style of play. He's a guard. It's not a glamor position. Typically you know a guard is playing well because his name is not being called out. There are rare exceptions -- guys like Larry Allen -- who buck the trend because of how utterly they dominate their opponent physically. Zack isn't that guy. He's steady Eddy. Which is good enough at that position to carve out a legacy as an all-time great. But it also means that you'll go largely unnoticed and under-appreciated.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Our running game didn’t become a force until 2014. I don’t believe it’s a coincidence .

Whyjerry

Reaction score
I think what makes Martin really great is that he was great from Day 1. Rookie G and you never hear him being called out. He also can do everything well - pass block, run block, gets to the second level, combo blocks, pancakes people, just everything is solid. Plus he is always on the field. Very healthy throughout his career. It really is a shame Jerry has wasted another great one. To this day I can't believe Jerry had regrets about not picking Johnny Cocaine. That is a black mark on GM Jerry that will never go away. Martin is truly special.

Whyjerry

Reaction score
Talent wise- yes. Micah is the most talented. Most reliable- most accomplished? Zack Martin. I expect Parsons to get there in a few years. But he isn’t yet.

Way too early to make that claim. I love Micah but I need to see much more. Martin is a HOF, all time great. If he played in New England he would be in the discussion of best OLineman of all time.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think what makes Martin really great is that he was great from Day 1. Rookie G and you never hear him being called out. He also can do everything well - pass block, run block, gets to the second level, combo blocks, pancakes people, just everything is solid. Plus he is always on the field. Very healthy throughout his career. It really is a shame Jerry has wasted another great one. To this day I can't believe Jerry had regrets about not picking Johnny Cocaine. That is a black mark on GM Jerry that will never go away. Martin is truly special.

Considering Jerry let others talk him out of drafting Manziel, and they didn't draft Manziel, I don't see how that is an ongoing black mark. No doubt teams every year have disagreements on players, but what matters is that the process worked where they passed on the player that ended up a bust and went with the better choice. The black mark is when they pass on the better player and take the one that turns out to be a bust

CoachD

Reaction score
I've said this since he was an all pro his first year........Greatest pick in the history of the Cowboys considering the circumstances and by circumstances I mean the Cowboys (actually I mean Jerry Jones) were this close to drafting Jonny Football so when you look at the value the gap is staggering.

DeaconMoss

Reaction score

• Seven time Pro bowler
He would be in the discussion for GOAT if he was an OT. Any respectable OL can play RG. Not a slight to his level of play, but its not the hardest spot on the line to play.

starfan1

Reaction score
Alarcon will be our starting right guard this year!

Now where that sarcasm emoji. The dude is a beast and to think it was almost Johnny Manziel

terra

Reaction score
Considering Jerry let others talk him out of drafting Manziel, and they didn't draft Manziel, I don't see how that is an ongoing black mark. No doubt teams every year have disagreements on players, but what matters is that the process worked where they passed on the player that ended up a bust and went with the better choice. The black mark is when they pass on the better player and take the one that turns out to be a bust
You clearly have not heard Jerry say several times that he regretted that pick.