The Holdout, Blessing in Disguise?

Whirlwin

Cowboy , It’s a way of life.
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Was hearing people say that a knock on Pollard is that he runs too tall. But his football speed is awesome.
the kid in New England. I think he's one of the top four running backs. It's not all about yards. But that's what most of our fans are relying on. I don't want the running back to be the bulk of the offense. I want him to scare defenses stack the Box. But that's from Prescott has to come through. Releasing the ball sooner I can't wait for this season no matter whose at running back

Whirlwin

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
The bottom line my cowboy family Brothers, it's all up to coaching and not many you have faith in it. All I know is we took the youngest starting team in the league to the second round of the playoffs last season go Cowboys

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
OK, since I am the only one without an Elliott thread, I am giving in and posting more words about a player not on the team since Romo retired.

Like most things, if you look for the silver lining, you can find it and I believe this has several to it.

What's the prevalent thinking? Prescott is on one knee singing "You are the wind beneath my wings" to Elliott or "I am nothing without you". Don't you want to find out? If he has to have Elliott, do the Cowboys have to have him?

There's a new OC in town, Kellen the Young, and it's his job to get this offense off it's butt and scoring at least 7 more points a game. Is he going to do that with the same ole same ole? Don't you want to find out? This offense needs change, not just window dressing, they're lost in the 90's.

The holdout not only caught the FO off guard but it seems to have put them on pause in signing the QB and WR after giving the DE the largest contract in team history and largest 4/3 DE one ever. I am hoping this is giving them time to really think this through. Is it so bad if they don't sign any of the three? Is paying a little more in 2020 not better than making a mistake in 2019? They need to show they're a FO that doesn't blink first or they'll continue blinking down the road.

The DC has been dependent on using the RB to garner time and keep his unit on the sideline and to keep the score close and low. That thinking is counter productive to today's NFL, no business can save it's way into a profit. They have to run today's offense, which is why the OC change happened, and they have to run today's defense, bring pressure and get turnovers. Aggressive on both sides of the ball is the order of the day. Don't you want to find out if this coaching staff and team can do that?

If Elliott comes in, what changes? What do we find out? Do they rely on that too much as Linehan did? They have been too Elliott dependent on both sides of the ball.

I am glad he's holding out and no, I do not hold anything against him as he's not doing anything to the fans or team. I want to find out about this team. Is it a true contender? They need to find out if they're a team or riding a RB.

The fact that all of the media focus and most of ours here is on a player not on the team tells me we are overlooking the guys that showed up to play. I'd like to see these guys get a chance to show they're more than one player. That 93 team failed to do that and I want to find out if this one can do just that.
Me too. Let’s see what this team is. If this team’s entire season’s hopes are tied to a RB who isn’t here, then we are already screwed. If this is truly a team and not just a collection of stars, then they can prove it.

Having said that, the thing that gives me the least amount of confidence in all this is Garrett. His natural tendency is caution. His idea of “being aggressive” is a one time thing like going for it on 4th and 1 inside the opponents 50. I believe we need to adopt a true aggressive style that is not afraid to do the unconventional or take multiple chances in a game. Being aggressive is a mindset not a one time decision.

Becoming a team vs a collection of stars is something this HC will have an opportunity to develop. One thing we need if Zeke remains a holdout is another back to complement Pollard. I’m not buying the Pollard is a feature back ready for 20 carries. Can a Pollard/ Morris combo work? Maybe. Whatever. If this team goes “Zeke-less” for a while, which looks very possible, it needs another RB.

glimmerman

Reaction score
the kid in New England. I think he's one of the top four running backs. It's not all about yards. But that's what most of our fans are relying on. I don't want the running back to be the bulk of the offense. I want him to scare defenses stack the Box. But that's from Prescott has to come through. Releasing the ball sooner I can't wait for this season no matter whose at running back
He has looked better in his limited time so far. Not sure how long they play him in the dress rehearsal.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Runs tall with his eyes downfield. Longevity you don't have to be a banger. I think it was Campbell what an awesome running back from Houston. Reminds me of Elliott
Not a good comparison for Elliott to think about, they ran Earl so much he spends time in a wheelchair now. And Dorsett has trouble forming sentences.

Every year Elliott plays is 300+ carries and he takes a pounding and is not protected by helmet to helmet hits like QB's and WR's. The RB is the only position that they know the clock starts ticking the minute they start taking hits. They will last the shortest time in the NFL. Now, add to this you are the RB with the most carries per game in the last 3 years and that shows no signs of stopping.

This thread isn't about defending the holdout but I do understand and would be doing the same thing.

The team has a player wanting to be the highest paid at his position, finding his value might be better with his absence, worked for Emmitt. I am hoping that does not work for Elliott, only because I don't see an advantage to having the highest paid RB in today's NFL. How's that worked for teams paying Peterson and Tomlinson?

Ranched

"We Are Penn State"
Reaction score
:lmao:
38gc7g.gif

Did you at least walk him out.
What bothers all of us is their contract .

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Me too. Let’s see what this team is. If this team’s entire season’s hopes are tied to a RB who isn’t here, then we are already screwed. If this is truly a team and not just a collection of stars, then they can prove it.

Having said that, the thing that gives me the least amount of confidence in all this is Garrett. His natural tendency is caution. His idea of “being aggressive” is a one time thing like going for it on 4th and 1 inside the opponents 50. I believe we need to adopt a true aggressive style that is not afraid to do the unconventional or take multiple chances in a game. Being aggressive is a mindset not a one time decision.

Becoming a team vs a collection of stars is something this HC will have an opportunity to develop. One thing we need if Zeke remains a holdout is another back to complement Pollard. I’m not buying the Pollard is a feature back ready for 20 carries. Can a Pollard/ Morris combo work? Maybe. Whatever. If this team goes “Zeke-less” for a while, which looks very possible, it needs another RB.
The one twist on that was Booger being so open in endorsing an OC with 0 experience and not extending his HC.

What many may be getting wrong is that Garrett's future is not tied to the record this season; it is tied to his ability to change and grow with this OC. Booger does not want to be known as the team that's dragging change back, he wants to be leading the charge and to him, offense is sexy.

Whirlwin

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I know I give Elliott a hard time, I know we are a better team with him. I also believe in balance. How would love to see them turn the quarterback loose more this season. I think it was a game plan about the defense more than a necessity about the offense.

Whirlwin

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
The one twist on that was Booger being so open in endorsing an OC with 0 experience and not extending his HC.

What many may be getting wrong is that Garrett's future is not tied to the record this season; it is tied to his ability to change and grow with this OC. Booger does not want to be known as the team that's dragging change back, he wants to be leading the charge and to him, offense is sexy.
I like it rough . give me the defense LOL

glimmerman

Reaction score
I know I give Elliott a hard time, I know we are a better team with him. I also believe in balance. How would love to see them turn the quarterback loose more this season. I think it was a game plan about the defense more than a necessity about the offense.
This is a big year for Dak. He has to improve. One thing Elliot and the run game could do is help hide a flaw or 2 in Daks game. He seems to be throwing the ball better and his reads have to be getting easier and the game slows down for him. I still watched him take that sack this weekend that he should have gotten rid of the ball. Throw it away or run. He stands there and takes those and he could get hurt or fumble. I don’t know how he didn’t see him coming or who’s fault it was but I really want to see that improve.

Bob-Lillys-War

Reaction score
Elliot hides Garrett's horrible playbook quite well , Dak will only be another of Garretts scape goats, as well as kellen moore .

Whirlwin

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
This is a big year for Dak. He has to improve. One thing Elliot and the run game could do is help hide a flaw or 2 in Daks game. He seems to be throwing the ball better and his reads have to be getting easier and the game slows down for him. I still watched him take that sack this weekend that he should have gotten rid of the ball. Throw it away or run. He stands there and takes those and he could get hurt or fumble. I don’t know how he didn’t see him coming or who’s fault it was but I really want to see that improve.
Said the exact same thing to myself. Throw the freaking ball away please I slam him first second third quarter. 4th quarter again he makes me eat my words. likes to be under pressure LOL he has all the tools to be a great quarterback. I don't think it's confidence holding him back. Is somebody planted something his brain about interceptions.

Whirlwin

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Elliot hides Garrett's horrible playbook quite well , Dak will only be another of Garretts scape goats, as well as kellen moore .
Let's hope not. Actually I think Elliott was a horrible Playbook in itself. I keep saying they did not want to overexpose the youngest starting defense in the league. So let's run the ball keep the defense off the field. Come on we really can't be that freaking stale on offense can we

Joe Realist

No Kool-Aid here!
Reaction score
It sucks the Eagles beat us to signing their QB. If he stays healthy, it will be a bargain. They don't telegraph or openly say what they are doing.

That said, I'd sign Cooper first or that is lost first round pick.

Then work on Prescott during year, see how he does or franchise him after season.

Let Zeke rot. I know they are better with him, but this is crap move and if he got suspended again, he would not hold out.

I'm sorry. I don't see a playoff team. Hurt OL, too many questions, and Garrett usually follows a playoff year with a down year.

glimmerman

Reaction score
Said the exact same thing to myself. Throw the freaking ball away please I slam him first second third quarter. 4th quarter again he makes me eat my words. likes to be under pressure LOL he has all the tools to be a great quarterback. I don't think it's confidence holding him back. Is somebody planted something his brain about interceptions.
He likes the pressure. It’s on him this year. Lol. Especially if Elliot isn’t there.

Colombiacowboy

Reaction score
OK, since I am the only one without an Elliott thread, I am giving in and posting more words about a player not on the team since Romo retired.

Like most things, if you look for the silver lining, you can find it and I believe this has several to it.

What's the prevalent thinking? Prescott is on one knee singing "You are the wind beneath my wings" to Elliott or "I am nothing without you". Don't you want to find out? If he has to have Elliott, do the Cowboys have to have him?

There's a new OC in town, Kellen the Young, and it's his job to get this offense off it's butt and scoring at least 7 more points a game. Is he going to do that with the same ole same ole? Don't you want to find out? This offense needs change, not just window dressing, they're lost in the 90's.

The holdout not only caught the FO off guard but it seems to have put them on pause in signing the QB and WR after giving the DE the largest contract in team history and largest 4/3 DE one ever. I am hoping this is giving them time to really think this through. Is it so bad if they don't sign any of the three? Is paying a little more in 2020 not better than making a mistake in 2019? They need to show they're a FO that doesn't blink first or they'll continue blinking down the road.

The DC has been dependent on using the RB to garner time and keep his unit on the sideline and to keep the score close and low. That thinking is counter productive to today's NFL, no business can save it's way into a profit. They have to run today's offense, which is why the OC change happened, and they have to run today's defense, bring pressure and get turnovers. Aggressive on both sides of the ball is the order of the day. Don't you want to find out if this coaching staff and team can do that?

If Elliott comes in, what changes? What do we find out? Do they rely on that too much as Linehan did? They have been too Elliott dependent on both sides of the ball.

I am glad he's holding out and no, I do not hold anything against him as he's not doing anything to the fans or team. I want to find out about this team. Is it a true contender? They need to find out if they're a team or riding a RB.

The fact that all of the media focus and most of ours here is on a player not on the team tells me we are overlooking the guys that showed up to play. I'd like to see these guys get a chance to show they're more than one player. That 93 team failed to do that and I want to find out if this one can do just that.

I agree with you 100%. I think this will show us a lot about the team, and the QB's ability to play the game without his star RB. Can Dak get the job done with other players? That is the question we need to answer before investing the future in him.

Praxit

Reaction score
...its always about perspective. We are looking at the tree from different points of view. Some see it, as we cant do it without Zeke. Thats valid, given what he has done in the past. His skills and numbers are great, but that's quick info bias or the contrast effect. Break it down again. We were 3-5 with Zeke before Cooper, 7-1 after. As good as he is, football is a team sport. We need the right pieces in right places. And they don't have to be marble. Ask, Bellichick.

>>>>>Then there are those who proclaim let show go on without him. *might not have a choice*. This is water we haven't traversed yet. How does the horizon look? We should have healthy OL. We get Cooper for the whole year. Cobb traded places with Bease. Dak surely made incremental tweaks to his game. Most importantly we have this young kid, calling the plays. How cool is that? Make em' or break em', right?

I said tank it, when we got to 3-5 last year. ......Then the fun started.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
This, if they do not extend him before the season starts, is the best blessing. The perception is Prescott needs Elliott a lot more than the reverse. Imagine Elliott on a team with a better QB.

If Prescott wants that 33M a year, prove it by stepping out of Elliott's shadow and becoming a top 10 QB. I see a lot of ex-players saying that Prescott is the most disrespected QB in the game but they leave one little detail out. He is disrespected by the opposing DC's that do not fear him, do not fear his arm or fear his offense in the red zone.

If they're going to make him one of the top paid QB's, that must change or will be on this "has to have the team around him merry-go-round" as long as he's the QB. Going to pay top dollar to this around him as well as him?

I know there are others that feel as I do, we are very close to being so lopsided cap wise on the O side, we'll be hard pressed to field a good D and overly dependent on the draft. And not mentioning we've been just as lucky as good in the draft is a mistake.