The impending death of the 40 yard dash

tm1119

Reaction score
Funny, was just reading that tweet and thought about posting it...but completely true. The times have changed and there’s so much data on these players already compiled that missing the combine won’t be a big deal. Curious how it works for small school guys though, is the same data available for I-AA I wonder?

But I’m sure the nfl profits pretty well from televising the combine so I doubt it’s going anywhere. Maybe/hopefully they will adapt and implement more football based

RS12

Reaction score
Tape is still the most important evaluation tool. Jerry Rice wasnt a track star but I dont remember him getting caught from behind.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score

I don’t buy it for a second.

The point of the combine and specifically the 40 yard dash is to test everyone in a controlled environment (same field, same conditions, same day, same length, same day, et cetera).

What good is GPS data if you play on slow turf, getting timed on different lengths of runs, different weather conditions, dodging defenders, et cetera.

GPS data can be supplemental information but I doubt it ever replaces the 40 yard dash and other standardized metrics.

speedkilz88

Reaction score

The point of the combine and specifically the 40 yard dash is to test everyone in a controlled environment (same field, same conditions, same day, same length, same day, et cetera).

What good is GPS data if you play on slow turf, getting timed on different lengths of runs, different weather conditions, dodging defenders, et cetera.

GPS data can be supplemental information but I doubt it ever replaces the 40 yard dash and other standardized metrics.
Being able to get that data on different fields across the country should allow them to still compare on the same or similar surfaces and also get more consistent times since they would have multiple comparisons on the same player.

But still if all this is being done why isn't the media getting this data and relaying it to us fans?

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
Being able to get that data on different fields across the country should allow them to still compare on the same or similar surfaces and also get more consistent times since they would have multiple comparisons on the same player.

But still if all this is being done why isn't the media getting this data and relaying it to us fans?

That’s literally impossible.

No two plays are exactly alike.

The combine is the closest you’ll get to having equal, standardized testing.

speedkilz88

Reaction score
That’s literally impossible.

No two plays are exactly alike.

The combine is the closest you’ll get to having equal, standardized testing.
You have no grasp on what is possible. There are 30-50 pass plays in each college game where they can check the speed at which a CB for example carries his WR. They can even break it down to the types of patterns the wr ran them on and the speed in which they ran each in.

dogberry

Reaction score
Didn’t Jerry Rice have a mild case of rabies when he was timed in the forty?

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
You have no grasp on what is possible. There are 30-50 pass plays in each college game where they can check the speed at which a CB for example carries his WR. They can even break it down to the types of patterns the wr ran them on and the speed in which they ran each in.

Yeah, I do, which makes your take laughable.

You can’t account for different playing fields, weather conditions, what defense/coverage was being played, the angle each individual defender chose to make on the ball carrier which impacts the pace, speed and acceleration of the subject player.

So what’s the best way to remove all those variables?

The Combine.

Aven8

Reaction score
The 40 and the QB’s throwing are the only entertaining thing at the Combine so I don’t think it goes away.

tm1119

Reaction score

You’re complaining about the GPS data not being equal while ignoring the fact that the 40 yard dash has nothing to do with football? The 3 point stance alone is stupid and then combined with no pads or helmet and you’re talking about variables no different than the GPS data. The difference between 4.43 and 4.51 can simply be the comfortability of gettting out of the 3 point sprinters stance...which has nothing to do with playing any of the speed positions. Plus some guys are faster without the pads...

Bottom line is I think there is more than enough data compiled over a players’ career of 20+ games to get an idea of their true speed vs 1 very never racking day in an event that has nothing to do with football