The inevitable Bradlee Anae post

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
While I think Anae is overhyped by this fanbase......unfair to judge him based on his 40 speed. 40 speeds mean nothing for defensive ends. Ask Jadaveon Clowney.

I get your point - to a degree. 40 time isn't an end all, be all. But it isn't irrelevant either. 40 yards is very short, and a good 40 time is often based on how quickly the runner can get off the line and up to full speed, which is important with pass rushers who rely on speed and quickness. A 4.93 40 time like Anae ran can indicate a very slow burst off the line. How many effective edge rushers are there that ran a 4.93?

As for Clowney, he ran a 4.53. Sure it hasn't made him a superstar, but it may well have kept him from being irrelevant too. Clowney with a 4.93 would likely never have done well in college or been drafted.

LittleD

Reaction score
Guys, Quinn likes big and sideline to sideline fast LB's. Quinn doesn't owe Anae anything and is likely to cut him soon. Quinn doesn't like SLOW!

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
How do you know
He’s never had an nfl camp, off season and only played 6 snaps
How in any way would you know?
He was extremely effective at the SR bowl and if you look at players who had good SR bowls they generally make a team
Sr bowl? Wow......impressive. :muttley:

how did I know about taco? Dak?

too small. Not strong enough.

J-man

Reaction score
I really hope he gets a shot to prove his worth, I think he will. Not sure he can make the 53 or not but I liked him coming out so I'm pulling for him.

I think he, Hill and Armstrong will be battling for the last DL spot. If they keep 10 that is.
If they only keep 9, I don't think either one of them make it.

As of right now I think we have 8 locks for the D-line: D-Law, Gregory, Golston, Gallimore, Urban, Basham, Odigi, Bohanna
Watkins, Hill, Anae and Armstrong are the 4 remaining guys who have a legit shot to make the team. I think Watkins has the inside track being just signed via FA making him a DQ addition. So that leaves Hill, Anae, and Armstrong for the last spot, if there is one.

However, I do think he can make the PS no problem.
At the end of camp I think they could try to trade at least one of these 3 for a position we need some depth or a perhaps a late rd pick.

quickccc

Reaction score
In fairness, we can't say Anae has been productive at the NFL level, and there are a lot of productive college players that never become productive pros, so I don't think past production means anything.

That said, of course the story isn't entirely told on Anae. I tend to think the odds are against him, but I would be thrilled if he is able to prove me wrong.

we could also say that Anae hasn't really been given a fair chance of attempting to produce at the NFL level, per the previous coaching staff.
Needless to say management reportedly wasn't too fond of ex DL Tomsula,. and it wasn't just Anae.

quickccc

Reaction score
Guys, Quinn likes big and sideline to sideline fast LB's. Quinn doesn't owe Anae anything and is likely to cut him soon. Quinn doesn't like SLOW!

Why are you referring Anae to LBers ?

He's among the DL unit, just like Armstrong, Basham .. or are a proponent of having DEs going sideline to sideline in pass coverage ?
while i've seen most of his clips with his hand in the dirt, i'm interested if Anae can be just as effective rushing the passer in a stand up role in the base 3-4.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
I get your point - to a degree. 40 time isn't an end all, be all. But it isn't irrelevant either. 40 yards is very short, and a good 40 time is often based on how quickly the runner can get off the line and up to full speed, which is important with pass rushers who rely on speed and quickness. A 4.93 40 time like Anae ran can indicate a very slow burst off the line. How many effective edge rushers are there that ran a 4.93?

As for Clowney, he ran a 4.53. Sure it hasn't made him a superstar, but it may well have kept him from being irrelevant too. Clowney with a 4.93 would likely never have done well in college or been drafted.
40 times don't translate to the NFL though is my point. Combines don't ever measure heart.....it doesn't ever measure a players football IQ.....there's just so much that goes into rushing the passer.....and if you look at pass rushers good or bad none of the combine numbers can predict what type of pass rusher these guys will be.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I am not concerned about Anae, I am more concerned about the players above him on the depth chart. If he becomes critical to this D, they might be worse than last year's D.

I really do not get how some posters select their pet cats. Reminds me of Tapper and a lot of his adoptive parents didn't even see him play at OU. Rico Gathers No Moss is in the Pet Cat HOF.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
we could also say that Anae hasn't really been given a fair chance of attempting to produce at the NFL level, per the previous coaching staff.
Needless to say management reportedly wasn't too fond of ex DL Tomsula,. and it wasn't just Anae.
We could say that, but we don't know that. For all we know the coaches last year very much wanted Anae to do well, and he just didn't show enough in practice.

Bottom line is all we have is speculation. Maybe the coaches made a mistake last year, or maybe Anae just didn't show enough. That's why I said the story isn't complete. We should get a better feel this year.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
We could say that, but we don't know that. For all we know the coaches last year very much wanted Anae to do well, and he just didn't show enough in practice.

Bottom line is all we have is speculation. Maybe the coaches made a mistake last year, or maybe Anae just didn't show enough. That's why I said the story isn't complete. We should get a better feel this year.
No, haven't you read here that coaches hold back the progression of players because they want to fail and get fired?

Never fails to make me laugh, some going off on the men that are with these players every day and watch them as well as film off them but some here know better than men paid to put their butts on the line in the job.

The craziest comments here are that the coaches are playing the wrong player.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
No, haven't you read here that coaches hold back the progression of players because they want to fail and get fired?

Never fails to make me laugh, some going off on the men that are with these players every day and watch them as well as film off them but some here know better than men paid to put their butts on the line in the job.

The craziest comments here are that the coaches are playing the wrong player.
I don't completely dismiss the idea coaches can make mistakes, but it seems unlikely they would make a mistake to the extent that a player who can be a significant contributor would only be given 6 snaps.

I think people exaggerate what it means when they believe a coach is not a good one. It may mean he isn't a great strategist or not good at motivating players, or even not the greatest at evaluating their talents, but it's unlikely to mean they are entirely incapable of noticing when a player works hard and makes plays in practice.

quickccc

Reaction score
I am not concerned about Anae, I am more concerned about the players above him on the depth chart. If he becomes critical to this D, they might be worse than last year's D.

I really do not get how some posters select their pet cats. Reminds me of Tapper and a lot of his adoptive parents didn't even see him play at OU. Rico Gathers No Moss is in the Pet Cat HOF.

Not a comparison at all.
Tapper nor Rico ever did anything in college that one could say was very productive statistically wise that we could say they were top notch college players
Anae collected an astounding 30 sacks during his college days, ..where were Tapper's collegiate accomplishments ?

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Not a comparison at all.
Tapper nor Rico ever did anything in college that one could say was very productive statistically wise that we could say they were top notch college players
Anae collected an astounding 30 sacks during his college days, ..where were Tapper's collegiate accomplishments ?
Kellen Moore put up huge stats in college too. It doesn't always mean that much at the pro level. I certainly can't call it proof that Anae (or Moore) got held back by the coaches.

I think Couch Coache's point wasn't so much that Tapper was similar as a player, just that fans jumped on the bandwagon and didn't want to accept the possibility he may not have the potential at the pro level they think they see.

quickccc

Reaction score
I don't completely dismiss the idea coaches can make mistakes, but it seems unlikely they would make a mistake to the extent that a player who can be a significant contributor would only be given 6 snaps.

I think people exaggerate what it means when they believe a coach is not a good one. It may mean he isn't a great strategist or not good at motivating players, or even not the greatest at evaluating their talents, but it's unlikely to mean they are entirely incapable of noticing when a player works hard and makes plays in practice.

just like the mistake of only giving a healthy Gregory only a mere 11 snaps vs Ravens ... ? :(

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
The only reason I know Anae is on the roster is because people keep making threads about him.

quickccc

Reaction score
Kellen Moore put up huge stats in college too. It doesn't always mean that much at the pro level. I certainly can't call it proof that Anae (or Moore) got held back by the coaches.

Kellen got a chance to show as a backup NFL caliber at his position ..

Anae hasn't been given his chance as a backup NFL caliber player at his position.

cwbyfan72

Reaction score
first off he doesnt deserve his own post....ughh

secondly you are asking fans to determine the thought process of coaches..

ask the coaches for the right answers, these replies will all be opinion and hyperbole of what fans 'feel' will or shouldhappen..

truly IDC, we have enough bodies for for a true offseason of evaluations this time/, they will be able to find the right guys for quins system..

last year was tough on coaches most rolled with proven vets because they didnt get chance to see the rooks at all , i mean practices are truly for preparing for games , game plans instead, a lot of new players and rookies didnt get real shot and that included Nolan..

he was scapegoated , he didnt get the offseason and the coming OTAs, MC, TC and PS games Quinn will get to find the payer that fit before game 1, Nolan found out by the BYE what didnt work nd it was too late..we saw some improvement the second halve , got many TOs and saw more effort, simply didnt have good players..

all those tearing nolan part were blind hating to facts, he had no chance to put in new defense that was polar opposite of years past or the players to execute it..im betting given this offseason he would have got it back on track..
so in short let Quinn and the defensive staff figure it out,

Fans dont have clue on which players would play and why...
its all pet cat syndrome.. they have strong feelings one way or another toward player and demand play time LOL

real world say if these guy's show something in practice they will get a shot, if not well Robinson nd Anae and few other just must have been pretty bad in practice to not get much playing time last year,,

players make their own paths, coaches dont purposefully keep player on the bench..just saying..this is on the players not the coaches
Everyone calm down and relax. Blue Blood is gonna tell us all who we are allowed to make posts about.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
just like the mistake of only giving a healthy Gregory only a mere 11 snaps vs Ravens ... ? :(
PFR indicates it was 13 snaps, and that was one game, not an entire season, and it was twice as much as Anae got over the entire season. Clearly it was not a year long pattern, and not remotely apples to apples with Anae. Plus, it's not like Gregory had been playing like DeMarcus Ware.

For that matter, how do you know Gregory wasn't having some kind of problem - maybe some fatigue after a few games after missing an entire season, or with a muscle or illness or something? Or maybe the team felt for one game that a bigger player might be better to help contain Lamar Jackson.

Bottom line is, one game does not a pattern or history make.

Last edited: