The Jaylon interception sequence is the perfect microcosm

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I understand, you are making excuses for Jaylon. That's what you do.

That's a nonsensical comment. The fact that a 4.3 WR can outrun a LB doesn't need an excuse. It is what it is.

You claiming a LB should unquestionably outrun a 4.3 WR is nothing more than fabricating an argument out of nothing.

Proximo

Reaction score

Watch LVE. He doesn't get close enough until 17 is past him. I don't care what his wingspan is. He wasn't close enough and 17 is too fast

LVE isn't fast enough just like Jaylon wasn't fast enough to finish the play.

In this case, it was the offense that is so incompetent they wouldn't score from 4 yards away. It's beyond pathetic.

IMO, this has got to be the best analysis in this thread.

I’m not following any of the comments dogging Jaylon for his return. Dude was MOVING for how big he is and it’s not like he caught the ball running in stride.

Also no way LVE (or anyone for that matter) was going to block the WR who made the stop. LVE was close but that guy was FAST. LVE could’ve gotten a block to the back and made things worse, actually.

Also re-watching in real time shows what a bang-bang play this was. That whole sequence was FAST. It’s too easy to go back in slow-mo etc and act like these guys are scratching their chins making choices out there.

CT Dal Fan

Reaction score
IMO, this has got to be the best analysis in this thread.

I’m not following any of the comments dogging Jaylon for his return. Dude was MOVING for how big he is and it’s not like he caught the ball running in stride.

Also no way LVE (or anyone for that matter) was going to block the WR who made the stop. LVE was close but that guy was FAST. LVE could’ve gotten a block to the back and made things worse, actually.

Also re-watching in real time shows what a bang-bang play this was. That whole sequence was FAST. It’s too easy to go back in slow-mo etc and act like these guys are scratching their chins making choices out there.

I agree. Also the defense was on the field a lot in that game and Jaylon might've been a little gassed. A WR running down a 248 pound linebacker isn't unexpected.

The real fault lies on the offense for not punching it in. That's what you pay a running back $90 million to do; but that's another well-worn story.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
That's a nonsensical comment. The fact that a 4.3 WR can outrun a LB doesn't need an excuse. It is what it is.

You claiming a LB should unquestionably outrun a 4.3 WR is nothing more than fabricating an argument out of nothing.
You twist my words to make a claim I never made. This is what you do. The fact that a 4.3 WR caught a LB is not that impressive, especially when that LB is as slow as Jaylon.

THEHEREAFTER

Reaction score
Was simply an awesome play by McClarrin and symbolic to their effort all game. I hate the Washington team to the core but they outplayed us thoroughly.

DFWJC

Reaction score
That's the 1st thing I told the wife! I was like what is he doing there alone in space? He wasn't covering anyone or rushing the passer? He looked lost right up until the ball accidentally fluttered right to him.
It was pure luck.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You twist my words to make a claim I never made. This is what you do. The fact that a 4.3 WR caught a LB is not that impressive, especially when that LB is as slow as Jaylon.
How did I twist your words? You said it was pathetic that Jaylon got caught from behind. I said it was understandable because he got caught by a faster guy. You said I was making excuses for Jaylon.

So, if I twisted your words, explain how being caught by a faster runner is pathetic. Do you somehow think Jaylon should have been able to simply will himself into being faster than he was to outrun a guy he couldn't see with eyes he didn't have in the back of his head?

By the way, I didn't say it was "impressive" that a 4.3 WR caught a LB, I said it was understandable. Very fast runners often catch guys that aren't as fast - pretty much common sense, yet somehow you act as if that is wildly unexpected.

Last edited:

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
How did I twist your words? You said it was pathetic that Jaylon got caught from behind. I said it was understandable because he got caught by a faster guy. You said I was making excuses for Jaylon.

So, if I twisted your words, explain how being caught by a faster runner is pathetic. Do you somehow think Jaylon should have been able to simply will himself into being faster than he was to outrun a guy he couldn't see with eyes he didn't have in the back of his head?

By the way, I didn't say it was "impressive" that a 4.3 WR caught a LB, I said it was understandable. Very fast runners often catch guys that aren't as fast - pretty much common sense, yet somehow you act as if that is wildly unexpected.
It's a matter of how much of a lead Jaylon had and how far he had to go to get to the endzone. Jaylon admitted he slowed down which turned out to be enough to be caught from behind.

Hennessy_King

Reaction score
It's a matter of how much of a lead Jaylon had and how far he had to go to get to the endzone. Jaylon admitted he slowed down which turned out to be enough to be caught from behind.
If LVE actually plays team ball this convo isnt even happening. LVE was 100% at fault for it not being a td. Jaylon ran as fast as he could.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yeah, he had about a 6-7 yard lead, but as a larger, slower guy he doesn't go from 0 to full speed as quickly. If you will notice, the majority of the ground was made up in the first 6-7 yards - that's the initial quickness a smaller, faster guy has.

And, again, he just doesn't have the same raw speed as a 4.3 guy. No LB does. In addition, Smith is running with an eye on potential tacklers and how Gregory's block will play out and if he will need to make a cut, and McLaurin is running on a bee line to Smith.

Ultimately, Smith is clearly pushing himself and running hard, and there is no reason to think he was doing so at a notably slower speed than the majority of NFL LB's. In fact, if you watch the video, Smith was clearly moving faster than everyone else except McLaurin.

Last edited: