The lesson from Fasano

cnhnyy

Reaction score
When you have a pro-bowl player for a postion (TE, RB, QB, Center) that you can only play one player at one time, you do no spend a high pick on his backup. You find backups from late rounds.

Please do NOT draft a RB in the first round!!!!!!!!

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
So true. And I really hope that's a lesson Jerry's learned.

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
Cosigned.

I've been off the Felix Jones/Jonathan Stewart train for some time now. My last mock didn't have us taking a RB till the third, and I with our new 4th rounder, we might be able to even wait till the 4th.

Here's to hoping Jerry can resist temptation.

ajk23az

Through Pain Comes Clarity
Reaction score
Very true, but i think its going to happen. =/

Sarge

Red, White and Brew...
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
cnhnyy;2053057 said:
When you have a pro-bowl player for a postion (TE, RB, QB, Center) that you can only play one player at one time, you do no spend a high pick on his backup. You find backups from late rounds.

:bow: - it was a dumb pick to begin with and I recall the chatroom going crazy with disdain when it happened.

Duane

Reaction score
We were supposed to go to a two TE set so Fasano would have started. As far as not drafting another RB high, I think it makes sense to get someone that can start if Barber gets hurt.

Barber split time during his time at Minnesota and he's split time while he's been with the Cowboys. So who's to say that his bruising running style will hold up starting 16 games.

Teague31

Defender of the Star
Reaction score
cnhnyy;2053057 said:

so who do you pick in round 1? i'm not sure anyone at 22 and 28 can come in and start on this team.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
cnhnyy;2053057 said:

If that RB is DMac, Mendenhall or Stewart, I would disagree. They would be competition for Barber, not back-ups.

burmafrd

Reaction score
For the 10000000000000 time we were going to the 2 TE to protect Bledsoe. He was NOT drafted to be a backup. Talk about dumb thread....

Eskimo

Reaction score
Players picked in the first 3 rounds should be projected as future quality starters for the roster. If you don't see them filling that role, don't draft them.

There is so much player movement these days that you always have to have your next batch of starters ready to go.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
Teague31;2053081 said:
so who do you pick in round 1? i'm not sure anyone at 22 and 28 can come in and start on this team.

Exactly. How many rookies start for the Patriots? Does that make them bad drafters? No, it means they have a ton of talented starters.

Besides, Fasano vs. McFadden isn't exactly a fair comparison.

Eskimo

Reaction score
burmafrd;2053092 said:
For the 10000000000000 time we were going to the 2 TE to protect Bledsoe. He was NOT drafted to be a backup. Talk about dumb thread....

Maybe so, but maybe the fault lies in trying to build a team around a washed up Bledsoe.

Eskimo

Reaction score
Sarge;2053077 said:
:bow: - it was a dumb pick to begin with and I recall the chatroom going crazy with disdain when it happened.

Yeah, but then there was a ton of backtracking when BP/JJ gave their reasoning behind the pick.

Sarge

Red, White and Brew...
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Eskimo;2053103 said:
Yeah, but then there was a ton of backtracking when BP/JJ gave their reasoning behind the pick.

Not from me, I still thought it was lame and still do - but I do recall that as well.

cobra

Salty *******
Reaction score
TheCount;2053069 said:
I've been off the Felix Jones/Jonathan Stewart train for some time now. My last mock didn't have us taking a RB till the third, and I with our new 4th rounder, we might be able to even wait till the 4th.

Here's to hoping Jerry can resist temptation.

Yeah, good idea.

Forget best player available. Pshaw.

Let's just decide now to take a RB in the 4th because we already have Barber.

Here's to hoping Jerry will draft based on value and take the best player available. At 22, that will be J Stewart or Felix Jones if either is still there.

THEHEREAFTER

Reaction score
Then who do we draft? A corner or WR would most likely be a back up as well. You can't make a blanket statement like this. Doesn't fit all situations. When the Giants drafted Lawrence Taylor they didn't "need" a LB.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
THEHEREAFTER;2053124 said:
Then who do we draft? A corner or WR would most likely be a back up as well. You can't make a blanket statement like this. Doesn't fit all situations. When the Giants drafted Lawrence Taylor they didn't "need" a LB.
Any player we draft is going to be a backup at first. But long-term a RB would be a backup. Longterm a corner wouldn't be a backup. Longterm a WR wouldn't be a backup.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Sarge;2053077 said:
it was a dumb pick to begin with and I recall the chatroom going crazy with disdain when it happened.
Let's hope we don't get a repeat performance today.

Sarge

Red, White and Brew...
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
big dog cowboy;2053137 said:
Let's hope we don't get a repeat performance today.

I hear ya boss.........:bow:

THEHEREAFTER

Reaction score
theogt;2053133 said:
Any player we draft is going to be a backup at first. But long-term a RB would be a backup. Longterm a corner wouldn't be a backup. Longterm a WR wouldn't be a backup.

True, but if Mendenhall drops how can we say no at #22 especially with Pac Man on board (even though he's no guarantee)? I don't see WR value at #22.