CFZ The Misconception That Not Stopping The Run Lost Us Green Bay Game

817Gill

Reaction score
I know we gave up all those rushing yards but that alone wasn’t what did us in. It was the run coupled with big plays in the passing game.

In todays NFL, unless the opposing offense cannot score 26+, just simply running at a consistent level is not enough to win. Explosive plays are what win games. Think about the Bears game, they were down by less than the Packers (28-17) and stuck to the run and racked up 200+ rushing yards. But since they didn’t have enough big plays that scored, they couldn’t catch up.

Running the ball alone when you’re behind 14+ should not be able to get you back in the game, especially in one quarter regardless of if your offense doesn’t score. And this is not a thread to defend the offense just trying to dispel the myth that solely running got them back into the game. Without those quick strike big plays they would have run out of time.

Now I don’t want the team to slack on the run thinking that just preventing big plays is the way. But those two things both have to happen in order to get beat. As long as your offense scores 26+, just running the ball well won’t do it, you need explosive plays.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Our entire defense played like crap against Green Bay we couldn’t stop the pass or the run. Hopefully that game was just a blip, and we won’t see another performance like that the rest of the season. Consistency has been an issue for the Cowboys. We’ve reached the point in the season where you have to start playing consistent football.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
I know we gave up all those rushing yards but that alone wasn’t what did us in. It was the run coupled with big plays in the passing game.

In todays NFL, unless the opposing offense cannot score 26+, just simply running at a consistent level is not enough to win. Explosive plays are what win games. Think about the Bears game, they were down by less than the Packers (28-17) and stuck to the run and racked up 200+ rushing yards. But since they didn’t have enough big plays that scored, they couldn’t catch up.

Running the ball alone when you’re behind 14+ should not be able to get you back in the game, especially in one quarter regardless of if your offense doesn’t score. And this is not a thread to defend the offense just trying to dispel the myth that solely running got them back into the game. Without those quick strike big plays they would have run out of time.

Now I don’t want the team to slack on the run thinking that just preventing big plays is the way. But those two things both have to happen in order to get beat. As long as your offense scores 26+, just running the ball well won’t do it, you need explosive plays.
I would counter that somewhat...it was the strong running game that allowed the long passes. once we couldn't stop the run with front 7, the safties and even LBs had to cheat up, so there was no real deep help. that also opened us to play action, which then Rodgers cashed in. easy pitch and catch. if you are able to run like that on anybody, big chunks. short yardage on 2nd and 3rd downs (not managable, but short), then that opens up the passing game.

the reason bears didn't succeed, is their defense was putrid. and Rodgers is a heck of a lot better deep passer. they were down by a few scores, before they went to the pass, and we had dropped 5 into coverage. they went to their bread and butter and ran the ball, which is something we wanted them to do, to kill the clock. for example. after we scored and went up 49-29, at 10:35 mark of 4th they ran the ball 3 straight times. burned over two minutes off the clock. Made no sense.

compare that to the GB game, on their final two TDs in regulation, they were in 3rd and 3, 2nd and 5. they ran the ball 5 times and 2 passes. that pulled the defense in for another play action on 4th and we had a secondary breakdown with a rookie. after that score, we had a decent drive, except it didn't start on the 25, it started on the 12 and stalled on the 35. burned 4 minutes off the clock. then they ran 6 times, passed three times being in 2nd & 4, 3rd &,2, first down running 17 yards, 2nd and 6, then a 30 yard run and they were in the redzone and scored...

Dak and Cowboys are the same way. for us to succeed, we have to run and not even necessarily be successful in gaining chunks, but run it. get the count up. and then give dak a semi clean pocket....if the pressure comes, his footwork gets sloppy and he has errant throws.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan

Don't forget the turnovers.

Chuck 54

Reaction score

Allowing teams to gash you in the run game is what creates big passing plays because a safety has to play in the box and everyone in the secondary reacts to the play fakes because the front 7 is getting killed. The run game definitely killed us.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score

Starts with the run

Reid1boys

Reaction score
We lost because of our run defense and not having a real franchise QB to bail us out.
Im pretty sure the 1st long TD to their rookie was on a 4th and 4 or more PASS play that went deep.

Then, if I remember correctly, they had another 60 yard PASS to their rookie again.... then, didnt their rookie catch a 3rd TD Pass against our...... im not thinking run defense?

They ran the ball against us, and that got them 14 points behind. Then they passed their way back to the win.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I would counter that somewhat...it was the strong running game that allowed the long passes. once we couldn't stop the run with front 7, the safties and even LBs had to cheat up, so there was no real deep help. that also opened us to play action, which then Rodgers cashed in. easy pitch and catch. if you are able to run like that on anybody, big chunks. short yardage on 2nd and 3rd downs (not managable, but short), then that opens up the passing game.

the reason bears didn't succeed, is their defense was putrid. and Rodgers is a heck of a lot better deep passer. they were down by a few scores, before they went to the pass, and we had dropped 5 into coverage. they went to their bread and butter and ran the ball, which is something we wanted them to do, to kill the clock. for example. after we scored and went up 49-29, at 10:35 mark of 4th they ran the ball 3 straight times. burned over two minutes off the clock. Made no sense.

compare that to the GB game, on their final two TDs in regulation, they were in 3rd and 3, 2nd and 5. they ran the ball 5 times and 2 passes. that pulled the defense in for another play action on 4th and we had a secondary breakdown with a rookie. after that score, we had a decent drive, except it didn't start on the 25, it started on the 12 and stalled on the 35. burned 4 minutes off the clock. then they ran 6 times, passed three times being in 2nd & 4, 3rd &,2, first down running 17 yards, 2nd and 6, then a 30 yard run and they were in the redzone and scored...

Dak and Cowboys are the same way. for us to succeed, we have to run and not even necessarily be successful in gaining chunks, but run it. get the count up. and then give dak a semi clean pocket....if the pressure comes, his footwork gets sloppy and he has errant throws.
They rarely ever give Brown deep help vs the formation the Packers used on the deep pass TD.

Another TD was a crossing route in the endzone and the FS was a step late laterally but not due to a run threat.

Maybe the TD pass.with the Nickel CB in coverage but that was primarily due to a perfecr play call and route vs the coverage with WR Watson coming out of the bunch formation and crossing up CB Bland.

817Gill

Reaction score
Im pretty sure the 1st long TD to their rookie was on a 4th and 4 or more PASS play that went deep.

Then, if I remember correctly, they had another 60 yard PASS to their rookie again.... then, didnt their rookie catch a 3rd TD Pass against our...... im not thinking run defense?

They ran the ball against us, and that got them 14 points behind. Then they passed their way back to the win.
Bingo

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
They rarely ever give Brown deep help vs the formation the Packers used on the deep pass TD.

Another TD was a crossing route in the endzone and the FS was a step late laterally but not due to a run threat.

Maybe the TD pass.with the Nickel CB in coverage but that was primarily due to a perfecr play call and route vs the coverage with WR Watson coming out of the bunch formation and crossing up CB Bland.
They did burn us deep several times. One for a TD. They may not give Brown help, but bland needs help. Can't leave him in single coverage with no help.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Don't forget the turnovers.
This to me was more about 4th quarter. Up by 14. The game has ebbs and flows. Turnovers happen. It's the NFL. Teams have to find ways to over come. You go into 4th quarter up by 14. Having scored 28. You should be able to win....

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
This to me was more about 4th quarter. Up by 14. The game has ebbs and flows. Turnovers happen. It's the NFL. Teams have to find ways to over come. You go into 4th quarter up by 14. Having scored 28. You should be able to win....
When one of those turnovers happens in the end zone, that's potentially a big point swing. Had that been a TD instead of a turnover, I think we would've been up by 21, and I don't think they would've been as likely to stick with the ground game.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
He's not an elite QB (though he looked like one against Minnesota) but he is by definition, a franchise QB.

I mean, you can say it, I'm sure it makes you feel better, but it doesn't make it true.

A franchise QB lifts up their teammates. Makes the whole greater than the sum of its parts. Prescott couldn't do that if his life depended on it.

He's a fraud.

RS12

Reaction score
Can we stop with this now sense. Run opens up everything else and keeps the defense on the field. Tends to expose all weaknesses and soften any defense. So tired of hearing stuff like this. Don't want to hear stats, you can always spin them to try and make a point.