The more I look, the more I like

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
The last 25 years of not getting past the divisional round of the playoffs along with these up and down seasons that have become a troubling trend have warped the minds of many Cowboys fans. Keenum is just one of many QB names that have come up to replace Dak that makes you question the sanity of many. I’ve been posting on Cowboys fan boards for 18 years and have never seen anything like this. When you read some of the posts on this board you would think the Cowboys have one of the worst QB situations in the entire league.

Not since the days of Quincy Carter have I seen as many Cowboy fans want to move on from a QB as badly as they want to move on from Dak. They’re so against paying him like a top five QB that they would rather have a reject with a career losing record who’s looking for his 6th team in 9 seasons as the Cowboys starting QB. There can’t be a stranger more uneducated fan base than this one. It’s almost like fans here would rather see the Cowboys picking in the top 10 of the NFL draft every year than competing for a Super Bowl.
The answer is simply obvious...

They are Romoholics who despise Dak. We know why. :muttley:

cowboyblue22

Reaction score
signing him to back up dak would be fine all fans here need ot accept the fact that jerry is going to sign dak to a huge long term deal its coming and we might as well get used to it

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
Yes he has AC.....I guess we have the perfect owner to teach greed.

After all our divas get their feathers stroked we have to go dumpster diving to fill the roster.
I hear you bro. He's pissed me off, too. All of them are being greedy while holding the team captive. :banghead:

Fletch

To The Moon
Reaction score
Before I get into the meat of this thread, let me preface by saying that it was not created to try to stir up the vigorous debate and arguments from the initial thread that featured the name Case Keenum. But in looking over the guy's career and body of work, I continue to find him an intriguing option to put into the mix for this team.

I'm not saying 'he's better than Dak', so nobody get the wrong impression or your panties in a bunch!

What I am saying, is that hes easily better than Cooper Rush, and somewhere in between Dak level and Rush level.

And what does interest me is in signing Keenum, for two reasons:
  1. To give this team a better backup quarterback, someone who has and can win games if needed. Rush has never shown that ability.
  2. To give this team some measure of fallback option if things did take a bad turn in Dak negotiations. If Dak were to hold out, or somehow force a trade, the cupboard for the Cowboys isn't completely bare.
Based on Keenum's 2019 salary and standing, I think the guy could be had on a multi-year deal in the $4 - $5 million range, at most.

And he proved that on a good team, he can win, and get you to an NFC Championship Game, if the pieces are there around him.

And again, before anyone gets it twisted, nobody is saying the guy is a world beater. But take some time yourself and take a look at his career, college and pros. I think he makes more a decent, highly-affordable option.

Thoughts?

(Here's to hoping I haven't reopened Pandora's box!)
MODS. Can we change thread title to “THE MORE I DRINK, THE MORE I LIKE”? Thaaanks.

Jk

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Don’t see how he could accept he’s anything more than a backup when he could playing for his 6th team in 10 seasons. If he’s not back in Washington next season that will be the third team in 3 straight seasons he went one and done with. He was 1-7 last season and got benched for a rookie. He’s 6-17 as a starting QB the last two seasons. The way he’s bouncing around the league he may end up in the XFL before long. It’s mind boggling how many Cowboy fans would rather have Keenum as the teams starting QB over Dak.

Equally mind-boggling that no matter how often the OP said the exact opposite, some dummy will read what they want to read, and see what they want to see, and start tilting at windmills and fighting imaginary enemies.

Verdict

Reaction score
Before I get into the meat of this thread, let me preface by saying that it was not created to try to stir up the vigorous debate and arguments from the initial thread that featured the name Case Keenum. But in looking over the guy's career and body of work, I continue to find him an intriguing option to put into the mix for this team.

I'm not saying 'he's better than Dak', so nobody get the wrong impression or your panties in a bunch!

What I am saying, is that hes easily better than Cooper Rush, and somewhere in between Dak level and Rush level.

And what does interest me is in signing Keenum, for two reasons:
  1. To give this team a better backup quarterback, someone who has and can win games if needed. Rush has never shown that ability.
  2. To give this team some measure of fallback option if things did take a bad turn in Dak negotiations. If Dak were to hold out, or somehow force a trade, the cupboard for the Cowboys isn't completely bare.
Based on Keenum's 2019 salary and standing, I think the guy could be had on a multi-year deal in the $4 - $5 million range, at most.

And he proved that on a good team, he can win, and get you to an NFC Championship Game, if the pieces are there around him.

And again, before anyone gets it twisted, nobody is saying the guy is a world beater. But take some time yourself and take a look at his career, college and pros. I think he makes more a decent, highly-affordable option.

Thoughts?

(Here's to hoping I haven't reopened Pandora's box!)

Assuming you can sign him for the numbers you listed, I think it is a no-brainer on a one year deal. Dak hasn’t missed a game so far in 4 years due to injury but that streak is the exception rather than the rule.

I would ALSO spend a reasonably high pick (round 3-4) on a QB to develop as your backup for four years of cheap labor. If he develops if he leaves at the end of his rookie deal you might get a 3rd round comp pick out of him. I wouldn’t even complain about a 2nd round pick being used if you can trade back a little and still draft the player in the later 2nd round.

I would try to reduce Dak’s leverage. You may even save enough on Dak’s contract to pay Keenum

cowboy_ron

You Can't Fix Stupid
Reaction score
I hear you bro. He's pissed me off, too. All of them are being greedy while holding the team captive. :banghead:
Lol, THEN to top it off they play like chit after fleecing us out of a ridiculous contract..............big contracts rarely work out.......if Brady had that mindset he wouldn't have 6 rings.......he was smart enough to realize that the less greedy he was the better supporting cast he would have to go after another ring.

Verdict

Reaction score
I'd actually be onboard with this in case the Dak drama goes south. I'm all for signing Dak. Just not for no 40 mil..... But if things work out, I wouldn't mind having Keenum as our backup instead of Rush....

I don’t think Rush has much upside and his floor is too low.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The last 25 years of not getting past the divisional round of the playoffs along with these up and down seasons that have become a troubling trend have warped the minds of many Cowboys fans. Keenum is just one of many QB names that have come up to replace Dak that makes you question the sanity of many. I’ve been posting on Cowboys fan boards for 18 years and have never seen anything like this. When you read some of the posts on this board you would think the Cowboys have one of the worst QB situations in the entire league.

Not since the days of Quincy Carter have I seen as many Cowboy fans want to move on from a QB as badly as they want to move on from Dak. They’re so against paying him like a top five QB that they would rather have a reject with a career losing record who’s looking for his 6th team in 9 seasons as the Cowboys starting QB. There can’t be a stranger more uneducated fan base than this one. It’s almost like fans here would rather see the Cowboys picking in the top 10 of the NFL draft every year than competing for a Super Bowl.

"Uneducated" is a really apt term for someone who clearly can't read.

:facepalm:

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Assuming you can sign him for the numbers you listed, I think it is a no-brainer on a one year deal. Dak hasn’t missed a game so far in 4 years due to injury but that streak is the exception rather than the rule.

They paid more for lesser quarterbacks in the past (based on what the cap looked like at that time) so I think it's wise to have a capable backup. And $3.5 -$5 million is quite reasonable to do that in my opinion.

I would ALSO spend a reasonably high pick (round 3-4) on a QB to develop as your backup for four years of cheap labor. If he develops if he leaves at the end of his rookie deal you might get a 3rd round comp pick out of him. I wouldn’t even complain about a 2nd round pick being used if you can trade back a little and still draft the player in the later 2nd round.

I would try to reduce Dak’s leverage. You may even save enough on Dak’s contract to pay Keenum

I'm about doing what's best for the Cowboys team, not any one player. I think having another capable quarterback on your roster is a smart move, no matter how you choose to categorize it.

Dak and his agent are all about leverage and options, and the Cowboys should exercise their rights as well. Be prepared.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Equally mind-boggling that no matter how often the OP said the exact opposite, some dummy will read what they want to read, and see what they want to see, and start tilting at windmills and fighting imaginary enemies.

I wasn’t referring to the OP but some dummies have an agenda and put whatever spin they want on a post.

glimmerman

Reaction score
No problem with him as backup and pushing Dak to work even harder. Best quit worrying about pay day and worry about your starting job.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
"Uneducated" is a really apt term for someone who clearly can't read.

:facepalm:

Still licking your wounds after getting your butt handed to you and that argument. Get over it! Continue lobbying for Keenum as our QB.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I wasn’t referring to the OP but some dummies have an agenda and put whatever spin they want on a post.

Clearly, especially when you come rumbling into the thread with your made up, perceived slight that never happened.

Spin, spin, spin.

Make up more things that didn't happen and arguments not made for your self-created outrage.

cowboy_ron

You Can't Fix Stupid
Reaction score

Most wouldn't object to paying him top 5 money if that's what he was.......paying a top 12 QB top 5 money is where the problem lies.......It reduces the quality of the supporting cast.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Still licking your wounds after getting your butt handed to you and that argument. Get over it! Continue lobbying for Keenum as our QB.

If that's the way your warped mind needs to view it? Sure.

Attempt to bring your same misery here, despite all the warnings and mentions otherwise.

Show everyone exactly where the real problem begins and ends - with you.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Most wouldn't object to paying him top 5 money if that's what he was.......paying a top 12 QB top 5 money is where the problem lies.......It reduces the quality of the supporting cast.

Jimmy G, Carson Wentz and Kirk Cousins aren’t top-five QBs. You don’t have to be a top-five QB to get paid. Big bucks are the going rate for good QBs there’s these days.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Here's the top 5 as per Spotrac:

PLAYER
AVERAGE

Russell Wilson
QUARTERBACK $35,000,000
Ben Roethlisberger
QUARTERBACK $34,000,000
Jared Goff
QUARTERBACK $33,500,000

Aaron Rodgers
QUARTERBACK $33,500,000
Carson Wentz
QUARTERBACK $32,000,000

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/rankings/average/quarterback/

Average that out and it's $33.5 million, putting him equal to Aaron Rodgers and his accomplishments. I don't put him there.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
If that's the way your warped mind needs to view it? Sure.

Attempt to bring your same misery here, despite all the warnings and mentions otherwise.

Show everyone exactly where the real problem begins and ends - with you.

Stop following me around and go start fights with someone else! Whatever your problem is with me get over it!