The more I think about the Amari trade the more I like it

Zekeats

theranchsucks
Reaction score
I wouldn't have paid Gallup so much to stay. Honestly this team still doesn't get it with resigning players. You resign great players to large contracts not good players. Gallup is a good player, not great. Amari was a very good player, not great. Shultz is a good player, not great. I really hope they don't sign him to a long term deal. I would've had no problem letting them 2 walk. Shultz could be replaced with the pick we just made or McKeon. Tolbert is very comparable to Gallup and Cooper. Receivers are a dime a dozen as are tight ends. Now you get your hands or could get your hands on a TO or Moss or Gronk, or a game changer thats one thing but for the most part they could all be easily replaced. Besides Randy Moss the QB makes the receiver.

baltcowboy

Reaction score
I wouldn't have paid Gallup so much to stay. Honestly this team still doesn't get it with resigning players. You resign great players to large contracts not good players. Gallup is a good player, not great. Amari was a very good player, not great. Shultz is a good player, not great. I really hope they don't sign him to a long term deal. I would've had no problem letting them 2 walk. Shultz could be replaced with the pick we just made or McKeon. Tolbert is very comparable to Gallup and Cooper. Receivers are a dime a dozen as are tight ends. Now you get your hands or could get your hands on a TO or Moss or Gronk, or a game changer thats one thing but for the most part they could all be easily replaced. Besides Randy Moss the QB makes the receiver.
Gallup signed a below market contract to stay with the Cowboys. His Contract is only 12.5 million annually. Gallup would have gotten way more money from another team.

John813

Reaction score
Contracts for elite receivers are in the high 20's/low 30mil annually and OP is *****ing about a 12.5mil AAV deal to a #2 receiver.

Neat.

Guess we need to have 5 elite guys eating all the cap and just have rookies and minimum salary vets to fulfill the OPs ideal team.

jrumann59

Reaction score
Gallup signed a below market contract to stay with the Cowboys. His Contract is only 12.5 million annually. Gallup would have gotten way more money from another team.
Maybe, but I don't know if team spends "high" dollar to sign a guy that most likely won't be ready to play until mid season and is not even remotely in the conversation as #1 receiver. He is a less spectacular Alvin Harper.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
The key to our passing game is to become more balanced. We have plenty of talent at receiver and Shultz at TE. With the addition of Tolbert, Washington and hopefully a healthy Gallup, we can makeup the loss for Cooper. Also, people tend to forget how Cooper disappeared on the road throughout his Cowboy career.

MountaineerCowboy

Reaction score
Hot sports opinion - This offense will really struggle this season.
That shouldn't be a hot take at all.

That's the realistic and educated take.

The offense NEVER recovered after the Broncos shows that if you stop the run, don't blitz, play a lot of zone, then you shut this offense down. Of course, not every team can do that, but the ones that could did with great results. We have lost Cooper, Collins, and Wilson since then. Thinking that this offense will be better off without those guys is the real hot take.

kskboys

Reaction score
IMO, there's really no liking or disliking the move. It was a salary cap move that was necessary. If MM's plan is to have a contending team in 2023, then these are absolutely 100% the correct moves. I mean, look at all the big tough and mean players we've been adding to the roster. No more ballet dancers, these guys are mountain movers.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I hated to see Cooper leave but I also understood that with his departure would remove the 20 mill he was guaranteed to get this season. What I find amusing is how fans complain about his contract prior to being let go and that of other players and now whine because he was cut loose.

kskboys

Reaction score
That shouldn't be a hot take at all.

That's the realistic and educated take.

The offense NEVER recovered after the Broncos shows that if you stop the run, don't blitz, play a lot of zone, then you shut this offense down. Of course, not every team can do that, but the ones that could did with great results. We have lost Cooper, Collins, and Wilson since then. Thinking that this offense will be better off without those guys is the real hot take.
That's a bit contradicting. Yes, we were shut down. WITH those guys. What needed to be done was build a bit of a different type of team. Which it looks like that's what we're doing. The best thing that could happen now is if we miss the playoffs in 22, and get the replacements for Zeke and the other overpaid guys and aim for 23. If that is what we're doing, this is a great plan. If not, then we're the same stupid team we've always been. Coin flip.

baltcowboy

Reaction score
When Lamb, Brown, and Washington are our Week 1 starters I don't know if you'll be so enthused.

I believe Cooper will have a better season than any of our receivers this year.
It depends on what happens with Watson. What are your thoughts on that situation?