CFZ The mystery of Jalen Tolbert

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
When Jalen Tolbert was drafted in the third round last spring, I didn’t expect 60 catches for 800 yds…but I also expected better than 2 receptions for 12 yards, and only being active for 8 of 13 games. Then at a critical moment in the packers loss, his senseless lining up offsides is still unbelievable…even for a rookie.

So what’s up with Tolbert? I know he’s green, but Michael Gallup was a 3rd round pick in 2018 and despite a learning curve, he still caught 33 passes for 507 yds and 2 TDs. Tolbert is barely getting on the field, much less catching passes.

This isn’t a 7th round long shot. Tolbert was drafted to play. That’s what the FO said the day he was drafted. In a year where the Cowboys haven’t been loaded at WR, Tolbert certainly had an opportunity.

So what gives? Any insight on the mystery of Jalen Tolbert?

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I’m curious if there’s been any report on why he’s in the dog house. Does he not work hard to improve? Not coachable? Usually the Cowboys play their rookie premium picks from rounds 1-3 no matter what.

There has to be a story behind this situation. Just haven’t heard anything.

FVSTONE

Reaction score
When Jalen Tolbert was drafted in the third round last spring, I didn’t expect 60 catches for 800 yds…but I also expected better than 2 receptions for 12 yards, and only being active for 8 of 13 games. Then at a critical moment in the packers loss, his senseless lining up offsides is still unbelievable…even for a rookie.

So what’s up with Tolbert? I know he’s green, but Michael Gallup was a 3rd round pick in 2018 and despite a learning curve, he still caught 33 passes for 507 yds and 2 TDs. Tolbert is barely getting on the field, much less catching passes.

This isn’t a 7th round long shot. Tolbert was drafted to play. That’s what the FO said the day he was drafted. In a year where the Cowboys haven’t been loaded at WR, Tolbert certainly had an opportunity.

WHO????????????????? LOL!!!!!!!!!!!

817Gill

Reaction score

None of the 3rd round WR’s have done squat this year, I can guarantee that they will not all be busts.

By all the reports, he was a bit overwhelmed with the mental part. Regardless, this years crop of mid-round WR’s have all had slow starts. I’m not willing to write Tolbert off after a slow rookie season, gotta give 2-3 years before really knowing.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score

great question. he is a 3rd round bust.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score

I mean who are you kicking off the field for him? Just not his time. Maybe next year. Took Cedric Wilson and Noah Brown time to get on the field. Brown got on it for his blocking.

speedkilz88

Reaction score
Ourlads' Profile:

2022 Guide: What Ourlads’ NFL Scouting Services said about JALEN TOLBERT:

South Alabama, 6011 194 4.44. Three-year starter, Mobile, AL. Earned first-team All-Sun Belt honors the last two seasons. Was a late bloomer in high school and did not receive a lot of attention from major programs. Then suffered a knee injury in 2017, forcing him to redshirt. Started to show glimpses of greatness in 2019 before really taking off a season later. He went on to set, and then re-set school records. The silky-smooth athlete makes the position look easy. His ability to play at different gears and attack the ball with precision and strength can make him a dangerous threat on all levels of the route tree. His skill set needs a lot of work, however, and a team will need patience before they throw him on the field. Drops too many balls and his body control as a route runner is inconsistent. These things are correctable, and his natural gifts are noteworthy. Smooth accelerator in all directions that has a final gear to get behind the secondary. Shows plus-coordination and contact strength in contested situations. Plays aware of spacing regarding boundaries and defenders. Alters his path to the ball with twists and turns of his torso with ease. Smooth lower half when it comes to transitions and change of direction. Can make the tough, outstretched catch on balls away from his body. Will track the ball well from all angles. Has a natural presence about him. Can break himself down while moving at full speed coming back to the ball. Shows promise as a route runner. Too many drops on easy balls. Does not have a fluid, coordinated catching pattern. Will double catch a lot of balls and allow too many to hit the turf. Route variety was limited and has a lot of subtle components to clean up. Shows inconsistent efforts as a blocker.

2021 stats: 82-1474, 17.9 ypr, 8 TD. OSR:15/33. Third/fourth round. (A-32 1/4, H-10, VJ-36, SS-4.24).

Praxit

Reaction score
...you know how the draft works. You win some and lose some.

I also thought of him being in the likes of Gallup, Cedric and even Lamb.

Right now, he's a back up Jag.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
great question. he is a 3rd round bust.
Takes a lot of receivers 3 years to really excel. Of course, guys drafted in the 1st are expected to contribute immediately...but he wasn't drafted in the first.
Yeah I don’t think it’s time to just give up on him. It’s too early to declare him a bust for sure. I was just wanting to know what anyone has heard about why he can’t even make the active roster some weeks.

Hoofbite

Reaction score
None of the 3rd round WR’s have done squat this year, I can guarantee that they will not all be busts.

By all the reports, he was a bit overwhelmed with the mental part. Regardless, this years crop of mid-round WR’s have all had slow starts. I’m not willing to write Tolbert off after a slow rookie season, gotta give 2-3 years before really knowing.

Pickens has had a decent rookie season 40 catchs, 600 yards, and 2 TDs.

Redsfan_83

Reaction score
Jerrah got excited being able to draft another Jaylon/Jalen, this is the only reason we apparently took him