The new “blah, blah, blah” voice of this team

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Funny thing how that works. What Jerry generally does is load up on a few ultra good players. These few players keep us relevant. That's why his blueprint doesn't work, because paying for these ultra good players keeps a team from fielding a well rounded team. So while we may win more overall due to these stars, in the end we'll always be that team that can't advance in the playoffs. And that is due to paying too much to a few.
Yep

It all goes back to poor talent evaluators. They only can see the obvious and pay it. And in most cases over pay which doesn’t leave enough to fill in the gaping holes.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Funny thing how that works. What Jerry generally does is load up on a few ultra good players. These few players keep us relevant. That's why his blueprint doesn't work, because paying for these ultra good players keeps a team from fielding a well rounded team. So while we may win more overall due to these stars, in the end we'll always be that team that can't advance in the playoffs. And that is due to paying too much to a few.
This is where Jerry hasn’t changed from the earliest days of the salary cap. I remember him publicly declaring that “the way to win” in the cap era was to pay a few stars and then fill in with younger, cheaper players. Then teams like the patriots and Bill Belechick said, “Hold my beer”.

MyFairLady

Reaction score
It is clear that we are run based on emotion and personal relationships. Jerruh loves his boys and will do anything for them. Doesn't matter if it is a good football decision or not. All that matters is that Jerruh gets to play with his toy however he wants.

cern

Reaction score
jerry's on the outside looking in like timothy leary. stephen runs the contract part of the team. stephen manages the cap. both these things bode well for the cowboys.

MyFairLady

Reaction score
jerry's on the outside looking in like timothy leary. stephen runs the contract part of the team. stephen manages the cap. both these things bode well for the cowboys.
I am sorry but Jerruh runs everything but he does let his baby boy play with his toy every now and then. Like that is somehow good.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Brother, I respect your opinions. And I would like to believe like you do, but right now, unfortunately I don’t believe we are in much better hands with SJ. Although I’m certainly open to change my opinion.

What evidence do we have that Stephen “gets it” more than his old man? Stephen can certainly use better grammar when he talks, but I haven’t seen a lot of other hard evidence that points to SJ being a top shelf GM type. Again, if there’s new evidence (besides hope) that shows having Stephen Jones “in charge” bodes well for our future, I would welcome seeing it.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It's being run pretty much like a fan would run it, focusing on skill players and not understanding how important the trenches are. I mean, the OL had to fall completely apart before Jerry would address it.
He had to step in it with his mouth about Romo being the only QB that could play behind it.....during the negotiations!!! His agent, and Romo's wife, jump on that and all of the sudden 1st round OL start showing up.

And in that, Booger showed his game plan with signing players. He did it with Prescott as well. He's already decided he's going to sign the player but he needs some presell buildup for the fans so they're not shocked at the deal.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I know you believe that but I see no evidence of that. In fact, I see the opposite in last years draft when Booger's making the decision on a 3rd rounder. Hell, I though he would have been in the bag after the 1st round. I was really shocked to see him handling that with all eyes on him, he spoke and discussion over.

I do think the idiot son lucky sperm handles some of the financial side of it but when it comes to personnel, Booger is still HMFIC. I think he is every bit his mentor and was drawn to him before anyone else in the league. I think he fashions himself as the latter day Al Davis, a maverick and a rogue to the end. When Booger goes toes up, the only fitting song to close the show is "My Way".

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Brother, I respect your opinions. And I would like to believe like you do, but right now, unfortunately I don’t believe we are in much better hands with SJ. Although I’m certainly open to change my opinion.

What evidence do we have that Stephen “gets it” more than his old man? Stephen can certainly use better grammar when he talks, but I haven’t seen a lot of other hard evidence that points to SJ being a top shelf GM type. Again, if there’s new evidence (besides hope) that shows having Stephen Jones “in charge” bodes well for our future, I would welcome seeing it.
I'll go you one better. When he does take over, we'll want to exhume Booger and take him to The Re-Animator.

cern

Reaction score

Jerry said romo gets his job back in 2016 but dak remains the starter. Stephen says dez a distraction that must be dealt with. Jerry says dez will be a cowboy in 2018. Stephen showed dez the door. These weren't small moves. No more garrett. New coaching staff. No backing down on dak deal. All have stephen's stamp on them. Not Jerry's.

cern

Reaction score
I know you believe that but I see no evidence of that. In fact, I see the opposite in last years draft when Booger's making the decision on a 3rd rounder. Hell, I though he would have been in the bag after the 1st round. I was really shocked to see him handling that with all eyes on him, he spoke and discussion over.

I do think the idiot son lucky sperm handles some of the financial side of it but when it comes to personnel, Booger is still HMFIC. I think he is every bit his mentor and was drawn to him before anyone else in the league. I think he fashions himself as the latter day Al Davis, a maverick and a rogue to the end. When Booger goes toes up, the only fitting song to close the show is "My Way".
Don't agree.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Jerry said romo gets his job back in 2016 but dak remains the starter. Stephen says dez a distraction that must be dealt with. Jerry says dez will be a cowboy in 2018. Stephen showed dez the door. These weren't small moves. No more garrett. New coaching staff. No backing down on dak deal. All have stephen's stamp on them. Not Jerry's.
I wasn’t asking for SJ moves. I was asking for evidence that our future will be better with SJ. All we have there is hope. So far, he’s done zero that has translated into something more with results than JJ has.

And regarding Garrett...If SJ was so great in helping rid us of that scourge, why did it take him 10 years. Most football people knew by 2015 (his 5th full year) that he was nothing special.

It’s just my opinion, but I don’t see SJ doing anything so far that translated to real progress with on the field results. I mean...hopefully that changes.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Just a theory, but I think many of our good hearted fans know how bad Jerry is as a GM/personnel guy that they have placed all hope on Stephen being the knight in white satin. He’s too often spoken of as the guy in complete charge now.

As long as Jerral Wayne Jones has a heartbeat, he’s calling the shots. At least the ones he perceives to be important. He will never relinquish anything that would rob him (in his weird mind) of an ounce of almighty credit if this team ever does anything special again.

cern

Reaction score
I wasn’t asking for SJ moves. I was asking for evidence that our future will be better with SJ. All we have there is hope. So far, he’s done zero that has translated into something more with results than JJ has.

And regarding Garrett...If SJ was so great in helping rid us of that scourge, why did it take him 10 years. Most football people knew by 2015 (his 5th full year) that he was nothing special.

It’s just my opinion, but I don’t see SJ doing anything so far that translated to real progress with on the field results. I mean...hopefully that changes.
Evidence can only be assessed beginning this year without garrett. But added talent and new coaches give me hope. Keep posting your great threads. They're always something to look forward to.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I think your construing a greater influence to running football operations. No one is denying Stephen is taking a more visible role.

Remember what Parcells said. “ you have to convince Jerry to go against his instincts”.

And I think we are seeing Stephen do just that. Not sure if it’s leading or translating to anymore success on the field.

But no doubt Jerry can be influenced or he wouldn’t have finally parted ways with Garrett. I’m just not sure who is always the greater influence cause Jerry doesn’t divulge or give credit.

I think like with Garrett and Romo public perception was more of the deciding force. And I think it’s why we must always keep the pressure on Jerry publicly. For he can be influenced and swayed.

If I recall correctly Jerry had the last meeting with Dez before releasing him which I’d consider final say. And it’s too early on who to blame or credit with the Dak deal depending on how it unfolds next year . But it appears it could have been handled poorly costing us much more to resign him next year or potentially losing our franchise QB. To be determined...

Last edited:

Diehardblues

Reaction score

I think he sees Stephen is willing to make the tougher decisions that often need to be made on star talent rather than the attachment we’ve seen from Jerry.

There is something to be said for this managing the Cap which appears to be Cheapskate Sons strong suit. It’s an influence that’s needed to serve as a balance .

But construing this influence to making the final decisions or taking over Cowboys Football is quite another discussion.

I’m one of Jerry’s biggest critics but I sincerely believe that if his son had taken over Jerry would give him credit officially making some type of announcement.

I think what we have is fans see the more visible appearance and influence his son is having and it’s gives them more hope it might translate to success on the field. Which is fine. We all need to look for hope somewhere. I’m not here to stamp out all hope. I just don’t believe Jerry would officially turn over the reins without giving his son or children more credit.

75boyz

Reaction score
Evidence can only be assessed beginning this year without garrett. But added talent and new coaches give me hope. Keep posting your great threads. They're always something to look forward to.

As I mentioned before. You are very classy in how you uphold your difference of opinion here and I totally respect that.

Being that I hold several unpopular opinions as well, it's refreshing to read from a guy who ain't afraid to have a different view BUT knows how to make his point while remaining civil.
Great job man.