The New DL-McCoy, Dontari, Gregory, Irving, Hill, Woods is bad

The Fonz

Correctamundo
Reaction score
At this time every year we have the same excitement and expectation to be disappointed later..Hop is great but mix it with reality .

coach steele

Reaction score
Interesting.

Not sure.

Frankly, I do not want a bunch of choirboys with choirboys reps.

I want thugs and intimidators now.

Enough the image of Garrett where everybody is from Princeton.

I like East Chicago better. Or South side Harlem.
Haha I used to live in Chicago. South side is worse than the east side. In any case, no I don’t want a whole team of choir boys but I also want people who are coachable. I’m not sure that Irving is. Team chemistry is a real thing.

SSoup

Reaction score
I don't think there's been any chatter confirming we're interested in Irving. Though I wouldn't mind if we bring him back on a risk-free contract of some kind.

Not only does our front office have experience with him, but wasn't one of his really great games against the Packers where McCarthy had a front row seat to seeing Irving be disruptive at his best?

So I could see McCarthy being cool with taking that chance on him as a lottery ticket.

But, still.

Irving seemed to be content to walk away when he didn't have to. And very wrapped up in his rants and tangents and philosophical nonsense that was anything but clear or cogent.

I think he was probably self-medicating and he's probably got *severe* mental health issues really flaring up in an age window that isn't an uncommon time for that stuff to start to get bad. I think that stuff is what may have kept him from functioning. I mean, when Gregory got busted, he still clung to the team and wanted to stay in the fold and stay in great shape (keep the car running, so to speak, so he could just hop back in when his suspension ended and be ready to roll). Gregory still functioned. I don't know that Irving could continue to function, or that he had much interest in continuing to function even if he could have. Which isn't a great indicator.

I'm not sure that much time away, in Irving's case, will be easy to overcome. I'm not sure what kind of toll the isolation and the decision to de-rail his career played on his life or his mental wellness once he freed himself up to do as much of whatever he wanted. (And if we're being frank, recent world events that have torpedoed even normal, high-functioning people's lives might have really lit a fuse in the lives of mentally unwell people that might have caused them to go further down the rabbit hole.)

MyFairLady

Reaction score
We have Demarcus and that is it. The two fat DTs were signed because precious Jaylon told daddy he needed fat bodies to keep him clean. Jerruh is running the ship boys and his kids are pulling the strings. Nothing ever really changes.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
This could be the best DL the Cowboys have fielded in a long time.

Thank goodness Marinelli is gone.

And look at what has been far and away the team's biggest priority thus far - repairing the damage Marinelli did to their defensive line. People can say whatever they want, actions speak louder than words. And actions are showing that the team realizes that Old Man River destroyed this team's defensive line.

So far, so good, I hope they don't stop. And I also hope that they don't depend on Aldon Smith or Randy Gregory, but treat anything either brings as a bonus.

Hawkeye19

Reaction score
And look at what has been far and away the team's biggest priority thus far - repairing the damage Marinelli did to their defensive line. People can say whatever they want, actions speak louder than words. And actions are showing that the team realizes that Old Man River destroyed this team's defensive line.

So far, so good, I hope they don't stop. And I also hope that they don't depend on Aldon Smith or Randy Gregory, but treat anything either brings as a bonus.

100% correct

The additions of McCoy and Poe are rock solid. Tomsula adding Smith is low risk/high reward if he can get back into any kind of game shape.

Gregory and Irving are both wildcards as well— but they certainly have talent. Hopefully Tomsula and Nolan can shape the unit into a “murderer’s row”... definitely want to see them add more in the draft as well.

Rome wasn’t built in a day and it will take more than one year to fix Garrett/Marinelli... but we are off to a good start so far in terms of the D

SSoup

Reaction score
Our OL may not be as good as our DL.
I could easily see our o-line taking a big step backwards.

Losing Frederick really hurts. Partly for his ability but mostly for his brain and the calls he'd make when he saw things on the field.

Tyron can't make it through a year without missing at least 20-30% of the season anymore, and that hurts. And after 4 years of him missing that much time like clockwork, and him nearing 30, it's only a matter of time before the dam bursts and he starts missing half the year or most of the year.

So, right there, there's a strong chance we'll be worse and weaker and dumber up the middle. And there's a strong chance we'll be more exposed to edge rushers too, whether it's because we're compensating for the loss of Frederick by focusing resources on the middle of the line, or whether it's because Tyron breaks down.

And, let's be honest. We have no idea what the change in o-line coaching will make.

We've had really good players in the past whose careers were briefly de-railed by blocking scheme changes with bad offensive system changes or scheme changes. It happened in the early 2000's (it was surprising to a lot of fans when one of Parcells' first moves was to keep Flozell, because recent ill-advised scheme changes had fooled some people into thinking Flozell wasn't good). If the coaching change doesn't mesh well with the o-line, buckle up because it'll be bumpy.

One thing I'm curious about and haven't heard discussed much is this: weren't McCarthy's Packers' o-line the ones who someone famously made a YouTube video about where he dissected an unusual tricky technique of pass-blocking they had, designed to help them get away with holding? I forget what the trick was but it was obviously something sketchy.

If we're gonna have our guys use a shady gimmick like that, I can't imagine it won't be called more often and won't mess up some of the players' techniques because we'd be wasting precious time teaching them a gimmick instead of real fundamentals. It's like the scene in that Mighty Ducks movie where the hockey coach wastes a day of practice teaching his players to flop and fake injuries to scam more penalties.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
100% correct

The additions of McCoy and Poe are rock solid. Tomsula adding Smith is low risk/high reward if he can get back into any kind of game shape.

Gregory and Irving are both wildcards as well— but they certainly have talent. Hopefully Tomsula and Nolan can shape the unit into a “murderer’s row”... definitely want to see them add more in the draft as well.

Rome wasn’t built in a day and it will take more than one year to fix Garrett/Marinelli... but we are off to a good start so far in terms of the D

Most definitely the front seven anyway. The secondary still concerns me, although I'd like to see a veteran bridge player signed to get us by for a year or two (Aquib Talib please!) until the rookies we're likely going to draft are ready.

I think their plan is that better players and more pressure applied up front can cover some of the warts for the short term.

Dak_Attack_09

Reaction score
We have Demarcus and that is it. The two fat DTs were signed because precious Jaylon told daddy he needed fat bodies to keep him clean. Jerruh is running the ship boys and his kids are pulling the strings. Nothing ever really changes.

The two DTs signings will take the defense to elite level. No longer the offense has to wait on sideline while teams run down the defense to close games out.

1972COWBOY

Reaction score
Its good that they relaxed the pot rules, but Irving smokes way too much of it to be a good player IMO. That video of him with a big ole joint speak loudly.

If he could keep his pot smoking to a minimum, maybe he could be a good player.