The New DL-McCoy, Dontari, Gregory, Irving, Hill, Woods is bad

Hawkeye19

Reaction score
Most definitely the front seven anyway. The secondary still concerns me, although I'd like to see a veteran bridge player signed to get us by for a year or two (Aquib Talib please!) until the rookies we're likely going to draft are ready.

I think their plan is that better players and more pressure applied up front can cover some of the warts for the short term.

Looks more and more like they are going to go after secondary players in the draft. Definitely need some help in that dept

starfrombirth

Reaction score
If another team got McCoy and Poe for what we paid, we'd be green eyed and upset that it wasn't us.
To be perfectly honest, I was tickled pink to get them . . . Irving, I can pretty easily do without.:thumbup:
I think he has/had a lot of talent. He had a real knack for being disruptive but man his head was completely broken.

DanA

Reaction score
Hard to say what Aldon Smith will be given all the problems he's had and time out of the game but at his best he's a top 5 defender in the league. The potential in the D-line with Lawrence, McCoy, Poe, and A.Smith is amazing and capable of playing a lot of different ways.

MyFairLady

Reaction score
David Irving, Randy Gregory, Aldon Smith
The two DTs signings will take the defense to elite level. No longer the offense has to wait on sideline while teams run down the defense to close games out.
I might agree with you if they were two promising young DTs that we just drafted instead of two aging veterans that got trampled last year. I don't hate the signings. The problem with them is the fact that they are immediately penciled in as starters and saviors when their best football is clearly behind them. They should be viewed as good veteran depth.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Looks more and more like they are going to go after secondary players in the draft. Definitely need some help in that dept

I can't help but to think so as well. I'd be ecstatic if they could somehow come away with K'Lavon Chaisson in round one and a corner like Diggs or Arnette in the second. That would be a home run start to the draft for me.

MyFairLady

Reaction score
McCoy is 32 years old and was on a 1 year prove it to me deal last year. Apparently he didn't "prove" anything to Carolina. Poe is a bit better at 29 years old but again Carolina had him under contract for a 3rd year option and said no thanks. I just don't think we should pretend like these guys are hot commodities. They represent what should be good veteran depth for a young promising team. For the Cowboys they are viewed as saviors.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
McCoy is 32 years old and was on a 1 year prove it to me deal last year. Apparently he didn't "prove" anything to Carolina. Poe is a bit better at 29 years old but again Carolina had him under contract for a 3rd year option and said no thanks. I just don't think we should pretend like these guys are hot commodities. They represent what should be good veteran depth for a young promising team. For the Cowboys they are viewed as saviors.

They're clearly better than anything this team has had for quite some time.

Carolina also let their franchise quarterback go, so their decision making shouldn't factor in. They're clearly tearing down and rebuilding the whole thing there.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
Hard to say what Aldon Smith will be given all the problems he's had and time out of the game but at his best he's a top 5 defender in the league. The potential in the D-line with Lawrence, McCoy, Poe, and A.Smith is amazing and capable of playing a lot of different ways.
At his best top 5 would be unbelievable, and would wipe away the taco fiasco miss, and the Marinelli stain left on this defensive roster.
If A. Smith can just come in here and elevate this defense, he is worth every penny of that minimal contract, I don't care where he ranks,, but I get and appreciate your point.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
Im not as sold on the DBs being as deep as many are advocating, not saying that quality depth isn't available in this draft, but if we are talking at 17.. Okudah is a move up to acquire, he is the clear cut number one, so its Henderson if he is even there.
If Henderson isn't there than Im not sold on the safeties even, sorry , but not seeing the BPA value at 17 if Henderson is already of the board and McKinney is your fall to, IMO it would be a mistake at 17, when there are more available a little later that have similar skill sets like Diggs, Dantzler, Fulton.
After sitting back and evaluating the FA acquisitions, nothing in this draft on day one is going to surprise me in the least,, it would actually make me happy if a trade back option were to become available.
Wouldn't be a shock at all if our first pick were a QB,, and please,, this is no Dak hate troll,,, Im just being honest,, we can all have opinions, but nobody knows what transpires on draft day, not even Kiper,,,lol

Ring6

StarSchema
Reaction score
between Poe, McCoy, and Smith signings, odds are one of them turns out ok. that'll help some.

glad LVE is seemingly back, that'll help some.

if draft happens, it is going to be DB focused, with a dose of BPA/OL from large schools.

WRs from small schools signed as FA after round 7, Brandon Polk (JMU) ran a 4.28 at private pro day in ATL last week.

Aven8

Reaction score
Well I gather the days of “projects”, and “hopes and dreams” is over with the new regime. Love it.

MyFairLady

Reaction score
between Poe, McCoy, and Smith signings, odds are one of them turns out ok. that'll help some.
I completely agree with you. Probably get reasonable production out of one of these guys. The problem is the team is now relying on them all to be productive starters. Roughly speaking McCoy is at 6 million, Poe is at 5 million and Smith is at 4 million.